Should I book my 1st cruise through Carnival's website or through a travel agent?

cmh1976

Hi,

I've been doing alot of research and I've got a question....Should I book a cruise directly from the cruise line's website (Carnival) or find a local travel agent?

This will be my first cruise. Taking the family - husband and two kids to the Bahamas.

Thanks

I'd just book directly through Carnival (I always have). I have read many stories on this site about people who have booked through a TA that was less than helpful after booking, and the Carnival site really has everything you need.

I'm sure you'll have a blast! I just got back from the Bahamas with some girlfriends and we can't wait to return someday. I've taken my two kids (ages 9 & 16 at the time) on a cruise and it was our first vacation where I truly felt like I was on vacation too; no "I'm bored" or "do I have to?", just lots of smiles.

Enjoy!

Hi,

I've been doing alot of research and I've got a question....Should I book a cruise directly from the cruise line's website (Carnival) or find a local travel agent?

This will be my first cruise. Taking the family - husband and two kids to the Bahamas.

Thanks

If booking Early Saver rates you will be more able to request directly with CCL if/when the price drops. Everone needs to make their own choice. A good TA could be beneficial not just with your first cruise but also airfare. Many TAs specialize in cruises and can be a wealth of info. I've only booked based on low prices. With the internet its so easy to research all the info but also very time consuming. Do you understand or care about all the different classes of cabins and the special offers like OnBoard Credit? Myself, I've booked direct with CCL and with outside online agencies. When you feel you've found the best option, go for it.

I have done both and paid the same regardless of whether I did it myself online or through a travel agent.

If you know a reputable travel agent and since this is your first cruise then my suggestion is to use the travel agent. They will know things and have helpful suggestions to make sure your booking is right for you and your expectations.

As an alternative you can call Carnival and speak with a personal vacation planner (PVP) who should be as helpful as a travel agent.

I prefer to make my bookings myself online but that is just personal preference as I just like doing things myself and being in charge of my own destiny.

We booked our first cruise through a TA. We had never done a cruise vacation and I had absolutely no idea what we needed to do.

Cruise, flights, hotels, documents, transfers, etc.... After we got a couple under our belts I'm proud to say that I've become a pro at this and do all the arrangements on my own.

I'd say book it yourself through Carnival's web site.

Here is some info for you...

Cruising With Carnival Tips:

Choosing A Cabin

• If ship movement is a concern:
    • The best place is Midship and Lower Decks.
    • The worst place is Forward on the Upper Decks, followed by Aft on the Upper Decks.

[*]If noise is a concern:

• If possible choose a cabin that has cabins both above and below it. This will save you from a lot of adjacent room noise, especially from busy public areas (i.e. Lido Deck, Theatre, Night Club, Galley).
    • Watch out for "Empty Space". When looking at the ships deck plans you will see empty (unlabeled) space next to and across from some rooms. These are typically closets/storage for the room stewards, which translates into noise very early in the morning and throughout the day!
    • Rooms near the elevator's and stairs will get more foot traffic passing by and conversations in the hall.
    • Engine noise and vibration can be an issue on lower decks in the Aft of the ship. Not always but it is something to think about it.

[*]Rooms with balconies:

• The forward balcony rooms (first 1/4 of the ship or so) will have a lot more wind than those further back. Some balconies near the very front will be very cool and extremely windy most of the time.
    • Aft balconies will tend to have no wind at all. They can get hot quickly. (All side balconies will get a breeze, even the ones near the back of the ship.)

...for further information check out the links in my signature below.

You will not get a cheaper rate one way or the other.....

A good TA can answer questions for you ....a good PVP can do the same....

I do not recommend you to book online either way .....talk to a live person and get the faq you need........ask alot of questions...about cancellations....insurance fees....extra tips.....and before you spend any money please read these forums and ask as many questions here as you can....these people here have a great wealth of knowledge and are here to share it ......

Some other facts that you should be aware of is that ports are not guaranteed.

Weather, medical emergency, mechanical issues etc can cause ports to be missed.

If you miss a port and you have an excursion booked through the ship, you will get your money back. However, if you book an independent tour make sure whether or not you get your deposit back if the ship misses that port.

(some do, some don't)

I do not recommend you to book online either way .....talk to a live person and get the faq you need........ask alot of questions...about cancellations....insurance fees....extra tips.....and before you spend any money please read these forums and ask as many questions here as you can....these people here have a great wealth of knowledge and are here to share it ......

I second that recommendation!! Having a live person to answer questions is always helpful. Especially since neither person cost you anything....

When booking with Carnival, we use a Carnival PVP. All other travel, including cruises with other lines, is booked through our TA.

I have found Carnival's PVP to be very helpful, honest and personable.

Enjoy your cruise.

Shirley

I use the website for every cruise. Because it's your first cruise you may want to consider a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner (PVP) if you have questions that need answering. I wouldn't even think about a TA - Carnival will not deal with you directly if you use a TA. If you wind up with a TA who is does not promptly return phone calls it can be frustrating. More to be lost than gained with a TA in my opinion.

I concur. You need to go to someone who has been on a cruise before and knows the answers to your questions. Believe it or not but some agents and PVP's have not cruised before.

Since this is your first cruise, do not do it on your own.

I have only booked through an online TA and I've had no problems what so ever. We just booked our vacation (to go) online and had no problems. Too bad we're not allowed to say our travel agent names on here ;)

I was reprimanded for mentioning VTG in one of my first posts. I'm baiscally self-taught just from doing pretend bookings on a lot of different websites. I was lucky that our first cruise worked out okay. Putting a lot of time in searching new cruises. Learning more as I go about the different cabins, availability and prices. My friends are always impressed with the deals I find and the vacations I've booked. The internet is loaded with info and choices. However, OP is a newbie and needs a guiding hand.

If you get the same rate, book with a Carnival Personal Vacation Planner or a TA. I booked online for my second cruise, but for the most recent I called a PVP. I research a lot of info about my cruises, but using a PVP or TA will hopefully keep somebody working. My PVP even said as much. I knew exactly the cabin number I wanted and what the rate would be. I didn't get any extra perks (yet) for using the PVP, but by calling her instead of booking direct keeps up demand for PVPs.

Just my two cents

Archived