Does anyone think airfare will go down?

bethtogo

I have been searching the internet for flights from minneapolis or omaha to miami for our Easter cruise and all have been between 380-400 for a couple months now; fluctuates a little but not much. Wondering if I should just get them or wait and see if they go down. Being Easter weekend makes me wonder though if they will go up instead. Any thoughts or recomendations would be apprecieated. Thanks!

I have been searching the internet for flights from minneapolis or omaha to miami for our Easter cruise and all have been between 380-400 for a couple months now; fluctuates a little but not much. Wondering if I should just get them or wait and see if they go down. Being Easter weekend makes me wonder though if they will go up instead. Any thoughts or recomendations would be apprecieated. Thanks!

If you are saying they are around $200pp, that's seems to be a fair price. I always love to see ours in $150-$200pp but that's just me. Also depends on what you have paid for it before.

March 24th, SW wanted $313 plus taxes just for the flight from Tampa to Dallas (and Orlando was just as bad if I had rented a car).

You might check to see about flying in 2 days before instead of one, or flying home one day later.

Depends on when your cruise is. I got a hotel before and after the cruise. .. now prices dropped about $100 for the leg home .. but still high.

If you can book Southwest now then do it ... if the price goes down, you can get the price lowered and you'll have a credit for next time.

I live by the rule that if the cost of the airfare or cruise is within an affordable cost now then I book. If it goes down that's an extra bonus. If it goes up, I can be satisfied that I got it at a decent price for me.

In this day and age to even begin to speculate that prices will go down is not a game I choose to play.

Good luck with whatever you do.

middle of the week is best time to look from what I've seen. I booked MSP to BOS for christmas for very cheap with airtran (less then 150pp roundtrip), and have an upcoming houston delta flight that was less than 125pp roundtrip (nonstop as well). if you use a site like kayak they will contact you when your flight prices drop

I think in general prices rise as the flight books up. Easter and other holiday weekends are usually higher demand and thats what drives the market. Airfare sales are offered for off-peak travel dates to fill those planes in the off season. Part of the problem is that airfare in general has edged up steadily and that fares are higher across the board over a few years ago. Airlines have merged and cut flights to drive up prices. Their labor and fuel costs don't seem to be getting any cheaper either. I wouldn't count on the price going down, especially on a holiday weekend. The current market is the new reality. We can't count on the cut-rate airfares we used to find in the past.

middle of the week is best time to look from what I've seen. I booked MSP to BOS for christmas for very cheap with airtran (less then 150pp roundtrip), and have an upcoming houston delta flight that was less than 125pp roundtrip (nonstop as well). if you use a site like kayak they will contact you when your flight prices drop

MSP must be a very competitive market to see those airfares. Not everyone enjoys such low fares. Some cities have lost their hubs in cutbacks. Others have a dominant player that eliminates options for low fares.

You might want to try checking late Tuesday or Wenesday nights. I think that when the airlines reduce some of the rates to fill empty seats. At least that's what I've heard. I've found it to be true a few times. Nevertheless, if you see something within reason, I'd book it...

There is an article in the latest issue of "Consumer Reports" (Feb. 2012) entitled "How to cut the cost of flying". According to the article, you should start checking prices about 3 1/2 months ahead for domestic flights, and about 5 1/2 months ahead for international flights. Also, Tuesday at around 3 p.m. EST is the best time to check for the cheapest fares. Now that the holidays are over, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a drop in prices (except maybe for Spring break).

There is an article in the latest issue of "Consumer Reports" (Feb. 2012) entitled "How to cut the cost of flying". According to the article, you should start checking prices about 3 1/2 months ahead for domestic flights, and about 5 1/2 months ahead for international flights. Also, Tuesday at around 3 p.m. EST is the best time to check for the cheapest fares. Now that the holidays are over, it wouldn't surprise me if there is a drop in prices (except maybe for Spring break).

Tuesday is the best day to check flights, hotels, and CRUISES for that matter. Not just an old wive's tale....

I know I've already responded, but after re-reading your original post, I would be inclined to see the cost of the flights from Kansas City to Fort Lauderdale (MCI - FLL) ... I know Omaha is about 3-1/2 hours from here and FLL isn't that far from Miami. Southwest has a direct flight (once a day) from MCI to FLL.

This would work best if you can add a day before and after the cruise so as not to stress too much. Just a suggestion.

Tuesday is the best day to check flights, hotels, and CRUISES for that matter. Not just an old wive's tale....

This was the case for us. SW wanted $259 to fly into Fort Lauderdale on April 1st. I checked their website on Tuesday morning (4am) and the price was $79! I sprinted for my credit card!

This was the case for us. SW wanted $259 to fly into Fort Lauderdale on April 1st. I checked their website on Tuesday morning (4am) and the price was $79! I sprinted for my credit card!

I swear the majority of my ES reductions have come on Tuesday afternoons.........

Try Airtran-we leave from MSP also and found a great deal on Airtran flying to Ft Lauderdale, hundreds less than Delta-it's just a short shuttle ride to Miami from there-we are using SAS transportation and it is $15 per person to get to Miami from Ft Lauderdale. Check it out!!

Tuesday is definitely the best day to find good rates. I also like to check a particular site that will show the trend for airfares between the cities. It gives me an idea of where the average fare falls. They'll also alert you if the rate gets where you want it to be.

My brother is an airline executive and I'm a pilot. I would try Delta out of Minneapolis since it's one of their main hubs. Delta might be having a sale in a couple of weeks but don't take my word ;););). I would try a couple days before and a couple days after to see when the cheapest flight is. But also check to see how much a hotel would be (getaroom.com). Also try flying into Fort Lauderdale (FLL) and getting a shuttle between the airports.

My daughter just moved to Plantation Fl and I have flown now about once a month since August. Sat. and Sun flying out of FLL is really double the price. With many thousands of folks coming and going from the ships the only flights you can get are VERY early AM (6AM) and very late (1 flight 9PM). There are extra planes from many airlines on Fri and Sat. and Sun. Some spell over to Monday. For tickets purchased for 2nd weekend of March Sunday tickets were $329 one way Souithwest. Monday 237$ Southwest one way and $137 roundtrip DCA (instead of BWI) to MCO and return from FLL on Tuesday. HOT DOG this retirement is wonderful because that works for me. :D

Archived