0800-1700 - enough time for half day water trip plus site seeing in town?

banditoo

We will be in port on the Fantasy 0800-1700 March 19. Our group is looking at doing a half day sail, kayak, snorkel (probably with Danger Charters as recommended on these boards). The half day trip would finish about 1330. This would leave us with 2-3 hours before having to board the ship. Is this enough time for us to get to the Southernmost Point and see a few other things in town? How long would it take to walk to Southernmost point from the port area or is there another recommended method? I had originally thought to use City View Hop On Hop Off when we were planning the whole day in town, but now that we have only a couple of hours, that probably doesn't make sense.

Danger, both the half and full day trips, go out of the Westin Marina, right where the cruise ships come in. When you return, it would be approx 1.5 miles to the Southernmost Point. You have to walk along the docks for about 1/4 of a mile, then off them at the Key West Customs House, the big, red-brick buildfing. You cross Front Street and pick up Whitehead and the Point is at the end of Whitehead (You pass the Audubon house and the Green Parrot bar, the Hemingway House and, across the street, the Bahama village and the lighthouse. It's a scenic walk). It can't be more than 30 minutes unless you linger at one or more of these.

But how many are there in your group? Half day is $75.00 and you might be able to pick up a provate charter for about the same amount.

Pjk

Danger, both the half and full day trips, go out of the Westin Marina, right where the cruise ships come in. When you return, it would be approx 1.5 miles to the Southernmost Point. You have to walk along the docks for about 1/4 of a mile, then off them at the Key West Customs House, the big, red-brick buildfing. You cross Front Street and pick up Whitehead and the Point is at the end of Whitehead (You pass the Audubon house and the Green Parrot bar, the Hemingway House and, across the street, the Bahama village and the lighthouse. It's a scenic walk). It can't be more than 30 minutes unless you linger at one or more of these.

But how many are there in your group? Half day is $75.00 and you might be able to pick up a provate charter for about the same amount.

Pjk

Thanks Peter

There are 10 adults, two children and 1 infant. For that number do you think the private option may be less expensive?

There are a couple of things. Danger limits their trips to 20 people so if you decide to do it, I would consider pre-booking everyone, making sure you can get a refund if something keeps you from taking the trip. They don't always fill up, but odds are against you getting 13 slots on any given day. They would probably not count the youngest as a passenger, though. I looked at chartering one of their sailboats and IIRC it was $1600.00 - $1700.00 for a full day, so it might be worth contacting them to see what a half day would be. Half day wouldn't include food so it should be less expensive. You might get the Sarah, the smallest of the three boats for a deal.

You understand that the Danger trip includes both a snorkel stop and a kayak tour around a mangrove island? This is very nice, but if you wanted to just do a morning snorkel, also look at the Floridays, a nice sailboat that goes out of the Hyatt pier off Front Street, an easy walk from the docks. http://www.floridays.org/ Be sure to notice the 30% off coupon. This takes up to 36 people, but it's rare that they fill up, so you could wait until you get to Key West.

The other private charters I was thinking of are the Javacat, the Echo II, and Breezin' Charters, but they all take a max of 6 people.

If you think chartering Danger for a half day looks good, let me know.

Pjk

Thanks so much for your help Peter! I have emailed Danger Charters to see what a private group half day would cost if available. We do want to do the mix of kayaking and snorkeling as some of the group are not snorkelers or big on swimming but would love to do the kayaking...and some of us just want to do it all!!!! I'll report back on whether the private is available and what it would cost.

Just heard back from Danger Charters. For the half day private charter it is $1275.00 for 15 people or less from 9am till 1:30. Snacks, beer, wine, sodas,water and all your gear included. This price also includes taxes and gratuity. Would work out a lot cheaper for us to not go private as the adults only pay $75, children $55 and infant is free.

I guess it was worth a shot. Do you think you'll do the Danger 1/2 day trip? One of the half day trips is run by Captain Wade who I think is the most knowledgable captains in terms of the best places to go.

Pjk

Yes, I think we will do the 1/2 day trip once I get this gang of mine to all confirm back to me. It has been Haig who has responded to my emails but I am not sure if he is one of the captains or just works in the office.

Yes, I think we will do the 1/2 day trip once I get this gang of mine to all confirm back to me. It has been Haig who has responded to my emails but I am not sure if he is one of the captains or just works in the office.

Haig was primarily doing the full-day trips and filling in when they heeded someone for a 1/2 day'er. I'd heard he was moving into admin but he doesn't want to. I don't know too many of the other 1/2 day captains, but there are two crew members - Lisa and Christian - who do a particularly good talk about the envirnonent and history of the area and who lead the kayak tour. If you get them on the trip, listen up!

Here's a water's-eye view of Danger's Prize with Captain Dees (Dennis) in the straw hat...

ry%3D480

Love the picture Peter! I can hardly wait to be there! I see your signature says you are from New Jersey, but clearly you must spend a lot of time in Key West. Thank you so much for your insider perspective.

Archived