Babies in the pool

Cupcrazy

Babies on cruise ship = bad time for the parents and guests on board. Tell them to get a sitter (aka Grandma & Grandpa).

Took my oldest daughter on her first cruise when she was six months old. We had a good time. Yes, it was different then a typical cruise experience but still enjoyable. She was a very quiet baby so we had no issues "disturbing" other passengers. Actually quite the opposite we could not go anywhere or do anything with out people stopping to talk to her or hold her. Most nights at dinner we didn't even see her much as she made the rounds to each table with the head waiter. I think just about everybody on the ship knew her name including the captain. It brings back fond memories, now the younger two daughters would have been a different story.

Bottomline nobody wants to here a screaming child but if you don't think that will be an issue then go for it!!

Not everyone has a reliable relative to leave a small child with (we were in that situation). So when our little one was 23 months of age we decided to finally take our first vacation (other than day trips to Sea World, etc.) since my pregnancy (which of course was a cruise).

Just takes a bit of planning, and knowing that the child will be with you all the time. And being prepared to have several crew members dote on your child as many of them have left behind their kids (and won't see them for six months).

I can't remember if there was a wading pool on the Carnival ship we were on (there may have been). But since she was in "training" at the time, we knew she was not going swimming in any public pool.

For the record I am not a baby hater :).

I have a lovely newborn granddaughter myself.

I have noticed in the 13+ cruises that I have taken that parents who bring infants on a cruise are not really getting to relax as much as they need.

I just think if you can you should try to get the folks to watch them and go and get some much needed relaxation. Most new parents REALLY need the relaxation.

Most infants do not like to be taken out of their comfort zones and are more susceptible to getting sick since their immune systems haven't developed yet.

It sounds like to me the original poster said she recommended the same thing.

So let grandma and grandpa have some quality baby bonding time and go on a truly relaxing vacation.

While most people are polite I have been on several cruises where a parent would not leave with their child when they stared wailing which I think is quite rude. But that is my opinion.

For the record I am not a baby hater :).

I have a lovely newborn granddaughter myself.

I have noticed in the 13+ cruises that I have taken that parents who bring infants on a cruise are not really getting to relax as much as they need.

I just think if you can you should try to get the folks to watch them and go and get some much needed relaxation. Most new parents REALLY need the relaxation.

Most infants do not like to be taken out of their comfort zones and are more susceptible to getting sick since their immune systems haven't developed yet.

It sounds like to me the original poster said she recommended the same thing.

So let grandma and grandpa have some quality baby bonding time and go on a truly relaxing vacation.

While most people are polite I have been on several cruises where a parent would not leave with their child when they stared wailing which I think is quite rude. But that is my opinion.

You are, however, making a lot of assumptions of those traveling with little ones. Not everyone HAS "grandma and grandpa" at home to look after kids. I've never noticed that my kids or grandkids got sick on a cruise so their immune system must have taken the trips just fine. Note that we also take them outside a lot, weekends away in a hotel, Disneyland, volunteer work ... yes I'm talking about kids under 6 YO... so they are around lots of bodies all the time. You also assume that the parents aren't relaxed or enjoying themselves because they have their kids along. I for one find having the kids along makes for my best vacations. True, it's not the same as traveling without them. Definitely more work. I look after my grandkids a lot on weekends and we are exhausted when they leave BUT I wouldn't trade those tiring days for anything. I do agree that wailing babies should be removed immediately though. Same for loud whining ones.

Keep in mind also, with parents working all the time, this may be the only "quality" time they've had with their kids in a long time.

Not everyone HAS "grandma and grandpa" at home to look after kids.

The original poster stated they recommended that they have the grandparents watch them.

I've never noticed that my kids or grandkids got sick on a cruise so their immune system must have taken the trips just fine.

Fortunate for you. I would rather not expose an INFANT to let say, norovirus just so I could go lay in the sun. Not that anyone on a cruise ship ever gets noro.

yes I'm talking about kids under 6 YO...

We are talking infants. Big difference.

You also assume that the parents aren't relaxed or enjoying themselves because they have their kids along.

I agree, having your kids who are old enough to know what's going on along would create valuable memories. Dragging an infant to an uncomfortable environment so you get to lay out in the sun seems a bit selfish to me.

Keep in mind also, with parents working all the time, this may be the only "quality" time they've had with their kids in a long time.

Which would still be quality time taking a cruise or not. An infant does not get to "enjoy" the cruise. I would think the babies needs should come first.

Not trying to start a flame war but sheesh.

Well, since on Princess the youngest you can be is 6 months or a year depending on itinerary we are really basically talking about almost toddlers not a new born. There aren't that many really young babies either way.

Your original comment

Babies on cruise ship = bad time for the parents and guests on board.

is what I was referring to. That not everyone thinks that having a baby on board equals a bad time for the parents. Also not all "guests" have a bad time because there is a baby on board. The vast majority of passengers won't even realize a baby is on board. When the kids were that young we took all private tours so no one else's enjoyment was affected. The baby slept in her car seat during dinner or back in the cabin so no one realized we had the baby with us (she was 6 months on the dot). We did not endanger her health. She was checked by a doctor before we left and was deemed 100% healthy. Actually the 3 year old was more work then the infant.

I don't lay in the sun either so .... let's agree to disagree and move on.

The original poster stated they recommended that they have the grandparents watch them.

Fortunate for you. I would rather not expose an INFANT to let say, norovirus just so I could go lay in the sun. Not that anyone on a cruise ship ever gets noro.

We are talking infants. Big difference.

I agree, having your kids who are old enough to know what's going on along would create valuable memories. Dragging an infant to an uncomfortable environment so you get to lay out in the sun seems a bit selfish to me.

Which would still be quality time taking a cruise or not. An infant does not get to "enjoy" the cruise. I would think the babies needs should come first.

Not trying to start a flame war but sheesh.

I normally try to stay out of these wars but I have to say that I disagree with alot of what you say. Infants travel very well and are rarely uncomfortable. I can also certainly say that my 10 month old "enjoyed" her cruise. She received so much attention and was waving and smiling at everyone for the entire cruise...selfish me! We have so many wonderful memories of her first beach experience and many more things. Was it hard, yes, but no harder than a day at home! Regarding exposing infants to a potential illness...can't be worse than what they are exposed to at daycare. If I left my baby at home, there is NO WAY that I could relax and enjoy my vacation. BTW:we are very attentive to her and always make sure she does not disturb others.

To the OP: sorry to have hijacked your thread. Very happy that my advice helped you. If your family has any other questions please feel free to ask.

Archived