HAL good for a first time cruise?

scarlett81

That's not what it says on the website.

The point is, there are other dining options.

You are looking at the 2 most adult-oriented lines of the mainstream lines. The different lines have different amenities to suit their target demographics. Both Celebrity and HAL target older adults. Perhaps Royal Caribbean or Carnival would be a better fit for your family.

I know the site doesnt say that, but when I log in to my account and try to make a reservation it says children 13+ for all 3 specialty venues-a rep confirmed this but didnt have any other information. Just giving the info I was given. They may target older adults, but they do have one of the best looking kid programs at sea (ages 3+). So I guess they want us to come, but not to eat with everyone else! lol ;)

We are hands down not interested in bringing our parents on Carnival or RCI for their 50th anniversary in Europe. NO 'carnivals' of any kind.

I would say from experience that the Niew Amsterdam is far better experience, but maybe not for kids. The ship includes all sorts of stuff

Has huge cabins ( J on Main deck almost 280 sq ft) and is only 1900-2000

Holland has huge open deck areas all over, subtile /elegant decore and is a class act. It has a huge aft deck and an open air pool,

Celb ships are mega ships with3000 people and small cabins. We docked next to one in Turkey this year, it looked, lile and ant farm of hundreds of cabins and very little deck space. It looked like a floating high rise condo THey have huge kids areas compared to Holland.

From research, I have found too Celeb has a 3 class system witn restricted places for its upper class passengers. ( That turns me off.)

Too I found many times what Holland provides free, orange juice to Movies, Celeb charges you for ( sort of nickel and dime)

For a first time cruise however I would start with Princess or Carnival , as an entry level experience and then as time and experience dictate, go up from there.

Holland and Celeb are the top of the mass market ships. Not Luxury. Start with a lower one and you will appreciate what you both want and get in better lines.

Then.... without the kids, take Regent. for elegant luxury in a low key format.

In my humble opinion, HAL is a great cruise line, more suited to an older,more affluent cliantel. They do have kids programs,but they are not known for kiddie city cruising. If your going during a school vacation week or over the summer, there will likely be more kids to chum around with. Same with 7 day cruses,more kids, but its NOT the main thrust of HAL.

All other areas of HAL are excellent. Food,service quality of the ship are all generally top notch.

The majority of the service personel are either Phillipino or Indonesian. Language can be an issue until you become accustomed to the the various accents. be patient, listen and you'll do fine. I see it as part of the joy of travel. Different people and points of view.

Hope this helps a bit.

We have just finished a HAL cruise not on the Amsterdam, and I would not advise anyone to cruise with HAL. I shall be writing a post cruise report shortly.

Good luck to you, Landlubbers 101

Be sure and pick a really juicy headline title for your thread, so you can do as much damage to the entire cruise line as you can from your one singular experience. :mad: That way you get to see your insults get repeated over and over and over again as others weigh in over your comments, good bad or indifferent.

I know the site doesnt say that, but when I log in to my account and try to make a reservation it says children 13+ for all 3 specialty venues-a rep confirmed this but didnt have any other information. Just giving the info I was given. They may target older adults, but they do have one of the best looking kid programs at sea (ages 3+). So I guess they want us to come, but not to eat with everyone else! lol ;)

We are hands down not interested in bringing our parents on Carnival or RCI for their 50th anniversary in Europe. NO 'carnivals' of any kind.

boulders-After your post, I called X again. This rep said that Murano is the only restricted specialty venue to kids (13+). She couldn't explain why it won't allow me to book a reservation with the kids for the other 2 restaurants under my log in. She said she'll put in a report. She did say the site is confusing regarding that. One area of the site says kids 13+, and another area says no kids under 12. They're in the process of changing alot of the site right now.

It is in fact, 13 and over for Murano. Thanks for prompting my call!

For our first cruise it was on HAL. It was a family affair on DW side. They booked it all and we just had to cut the check. I was unsure of it all, but enjoyed the trip. My daughter, 8 at the time, also enjoyed everything but ClubHAL, and slight bouts of seasickness. She told us that ClubHAL was too crowded and noisy.

For our cruise in May I am expecting to buy 10 or so books for her to read on the cruise when she is not growing scales and a dorsal fin in the pool.

Archived