HAL good for a first time cruise?

scarlett81

Been reading up on a few East Med itineraries as my Celeb Med cruise is being threatened by needless port changes...(another story for another time)

So while I haven't made any decision to leave Celeb yet, I've been checking out HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Just trying to be prepared in case we watch to switch.

This would be a first cruise for all 6 of us. I checked out the interior of the ship, it looks lovely. Being a nyer I'm so so about the ny theme, but I get what they're going for. I love the style-wrap around teak deck, steamer chairs, it feels more classical old world to me, and me and my Dad being huge history buffs I think we'd get a kick out of that. We'll also have 2 kids, I checked out HAL's children's programs and they seem extensive so I don't have many worries re that.

What type of cruise would I expect on HAL? Would this be a good choice for a first timer?

How does the cuisine compare? They seem to really be marketing upscale food with all the celebrity chefs on their website.

A Med cruise is not about the ship, it is about the ports. Most Med cruises are very port intensive- the ship becomes more just a resting and eating spot.

As it is your first cruise, IMHO, I think you are overthinking the issue. You won't know the difference between Celebrity and HAL, as you haven't been on a cruise ship yet. However, you will have a great time on either cruise line.

I did an East Med cruise on Nieuw Amsterdam last summer and really liked it. The itinerary is great. I have also sailed Celebrity and find them to be quite similar to HAL. Not too much activity later in the evening though, even in the summer, but as CruiserBruce said, you will be too busy (and tired at the end of the day:D) from visiting all of the ports. Consider booking the Pinnacle Restaurant one night for something special. Enjoy your cruise!

Granted it's a relative statement but if I were to pick an itinerary where the ship is less of a factor it would probably be a typical Med cruise. We considered a number of different lines before we made our choice for our upcoming cruise focusing on 10+ day long cruises. It wasn't unusual for these cruises to only have only one or two sea days. That doesn't negate the comfort, atmosphere, service, etc., aspects of a ship or cruise line, it just makes them a little less important. Personally I don't think you can go wrong with HAL. In fact the one and only reason we didn't go with HAL was one the one cruise itinerary that attracted us was on the Prinsendam but it went to Egypt and my wife is, or at least was, barred by her work from visiting Egypt.

I agree, itinerary should be #1. But Its alot of $. Really don't want to get stuck on a 2nd rate line, thats all.

We did a nile cruise, different scenario of course, but we were so unhappy with that boat. If we had done a bit more research we could have had a much better experience on board-and that was really intensive. Up at 5 every day, in 100 degree heat, collapse at 7 in your room...but the boat still mattered to us!

I agree, itinerary should be #1. But Its alot of $. Really don't want to get stuck on a 2nd rate line, thats all.

We did a nile cruise, different scenario of course, but we were so unhappy with that boat. If we had done a bit more research we could have had a much better experience on board-and that was really intensive. Up at 5 every day, in 100 degree heat, collapse at 7 in your room...but the boat still mattered to us!

I can't imagine ever considering HAL as a second rate cruise line. I won't say you can't find a negative review here or there but that's true for every cruise line. A Med cruise is an expensive undertaking, from the cruise fare to the airfare to pre/post cruise hotels to whatever, so I fully understand wanting to make the best decision you can. I wouldn't guarantee a wonderful cruise on any line but the odds are certainly in your favor with HAL.

DH and I both enjoy HAL. We have sailed with 2 of my sisters who are in their 50's. One enjoyed HAL just fine. The younger thought it was just a bit too dull for her taste. All of our cruises had been port intensive, but it was still important for her to enjoy the ship's entertainment at night which she felt was lacking on HAL. It's just a personal choice. We always choose because of itinerary and price first.

We faced the same dilemma when choosing our first cruise line too: sorting out between similarly-priced Princess, Celebrity and HAL and with knowing really nothing about any of them we settled on HAL because of the itinerary which was a little more unique and had an extra port.

Since then we came to appreciate a lot more about HAL which does make a distinction between the other two comparable cruise lines, even though we never sailed on either. Mainly the greater choices of size of ships as we found we like HAL's smaller and older ships, and indeed their more traditional ambiance over the higher visual appeal and glamour on the other larger and newer cruise ships offered by the other two cruise lines.

The larger ships can overwhelm a port, particularly when you are sharing it with other giants from other cruise lines in port at the same time. The smaller HAL ships can often find odd number day itineraries which allow midweek departures, so they can stagger their itinerary in-between the really big ships who often have set itineraries that meet the Saturday to Saturday, one week or two week vacation schedules that are more typical.

We came to love the HAL ships layout, the generous libraries, the variety public spaces that provide both privacy and activity, the on board lectures and the competent shore excursions HAL has given us so far. HAL regular cabins are larger with plenty of storage space and by all reports the most comfortable beds on the high seas. Best baked breads, free orange juice and great room service menus too.

Service has been genuinely hospitable and plenty of food favorites now we only find on HAL ships. Passengers are seasoned and well-traveled and always pleasant to be around when we all share this small space together. Reports here about the HAL youth programs have always been positive.

HAL for us beats the competition every time with its itineraries and price which adds up to good value and why we are happy we found them first and have stuck with them now going on our 8th cruise. We still go further afield on MV Discovery for the really unique destinations, but for our main stream cruising needs HAL keeps us coming back for more .... and more.

No one ship or cruse line is perfect and you can tell from reading here things can and will go wrong on any cruise. We approach our cruising with an 80% satisfaction expectation and always come away very pleased every time.

Our kids loved Club HAL. I think the kids will be happy. ;)

We went on a Celebrity cruise to the mediterranean years ago and I loved it. I did HAL for Alaska. Folks above are right that you will be happy with either line. I hope you enjoy yourselves.

The mainstream cruise lines are NOT like the Nile river cruises. I did a lot of research into Nile river cruises when I was looking at a trip there, some of those cruises just looked scary.

HAL and Celebrity are going to give you similar experiences. The level of service, quality of food, accommodations, amenities, are going to be more or less the same. The differences will be in more minor things such as smoking policy.

Choose the cruise for the ports and price.

I would like to sail Celebrity, but the price on our Nieuw Amsterdam 24 day Med cruise can't be beat. By researching on these boards, I found a cabin that I think will fit our needs perfectly. I've sailed on 4 different lines. Other than Carnival (blech), I'd sail any of them again, but I don't feel loyal to any particular line. In this range, they're all more or less the same

Been reading up on a few East Med itineraries as my Celeb Med cruise is being threatened by needless port changes...(another story for another time)

So while I haven't made any decision to leave Celeb yet, I've been checking out HAL's Nieuw Amsterdam. Just trying to be prepared in case we watch to switch.

This would be a first cruise for all 6 of us. I checked out the interior of the ship, it looks lovely. Being a nyer I'm so so about the ny theme, but I get what they're going for. I love the style-wrap around teak deck, steamer chairs, it feels more classical old world to me, and me and my Dad being huge history buffs I think we'd get a kick out of that. We'll also have 2 kids, I checked out HAL's children's programs and they seem extensive so I don't have many worries re that.

What type of cruise would I expect on HAL? Would this be a good choice for a first timer?

How does the cuisine compare? They seem to really be marketing upscale food with all the celebrity chefs on their website.

Having traveled on the Nieuw Amsterdam, I can recommend this ship most highly.

........ Being a nyer I'm so so about the ny theme, but I get what they're going for. I love the style-wrap around teak deck, steamer chairs, it feels more classical old world to me, and me and my Dad being huge history buffs I think we'd get a kick out of that. ........

The real kick for HAL history buffs is leaving from their home port in Rotterdam and seeing the old building that was their headquarters now named the New York Hotel saluting all the ships leaving the harbor. Plus seeing the names of far away places with strange sounding names adorning the no longer used godowns that line the Rotterdam port as well. Holland-Amerika Lines was often the ticket to the New York streets that were "paved with gold" for many an immigrant to our shores.

We have done 2 Med cruises with HAL (both on the Rotterdam) and 1 Med cruise on Celebrity (on the new Silhouette). We loved all 3 cruises, and the lines are quite similar in food and service.

We like both lines, with a bit of an edge to HAL because we like their itineraries better and a few other things.

On a Med cruise you can't go wrong with either line, I would go by itinerary and price.

A Med cruise is not about the ship, it is about the ports. Most Med cruises are very port intensive- the ship becomes more just a resting and eating spot.

As it is your first cruise, IMHO, I think you are overthinking the issue. You won't know the difference between Celebrity and HAL, as you haven't been on a cruise ship yet. However, you will have a great time on either cruise line.

My sentiments exactly...

We did a Med cruise last fall. We booked inside the cancellation window Our choices were HAL and Celebrity. We selected Celebrity on price...they slashed thier prices. We had a great cruise.

On reflection, the comments about port intensive are spot on. We were very pleased that we made the choice based on $ and itinerary. The money we saved helped to defray the costs of our two week land trip.

2009 - Eastern Mediterranean on the Noordam. Got me hooked both on cruising and on HAL. I was 44 at the time, and our travel agent cautioned us that we might fined HAL fellow passengers much older and the ship "too boring" for us. On the contrary, we found it elegant with very good food and great service, and we found our fellow passengers to be of all ages. We very much enjoyed getting to know folks during dinner and breakfasts in the main dining room (we had anytime dining so we met different folks each night - we loved it, but we like to meet people). As for entertainment, we love to dance so that's what we did. Several venues depending on what type of music you like. Have never been on Celebrity, but have friends who speak very highly of that as well.

I'm sure you will LOVE your mediterranean cruise - I know I did!

Just curious, what Nile cruise did you take? We were on the Al Jamila this past January (2011 - a few weeks before the "Arab Spring!") and we were very pleased with the staff and the ship. It was gorgeous and the food was all very yummy.

We traveled to MED on Celebrity Century in 2008 and HAL Nieuw Amsterdam in 2010 and both were wonderful cruises and very comparable in service, ship and food. We are in our early 40s, but NO children so cannot help with that. I would recommend either to you. And as other posters mentioned, this being your first cruise, you are going to love it (or at least I hope you do :)

2009 -

Just curious, what Nile cruise did you take? We were on the Al Jamila this past January (2011 - a few weeks before the "Arab Spring!") and we were very pleased with the staff and the ship. It was gorgeous and the food was all very yummy.

We were on the Royal Lotus by Movenpick. It was ok. Basic but good by southern Egyptian standards, but the service was impeccable. Food was not good. We really only slept on it and had bkftst and dinner. We were there for an intense private tour so were so busy with really long days. In the end, our friend (local historian) ended up taking us off the boat to out of the way dive places to eat.-kind of like when Jack and Rose go down to the 3rd class deck to party...Best food of my life! Also the place where my poor hubby caught e.coli and salmonella. But it tasted good going down.

Whichever you choose, I think you'll be happy. :-)

I've done the Eastern Med on each line in 2010 and 2011, and honestly, they were both great. HAL had the edge on food for me, Celebrity seemed to have more things for me to do on the ship (but HAL had quite a bit too never fear). I tend to like the spectacle of it all. I enjoy marveling at how awesome the ship is. The Nieuw Amsterdam was great, but I liked the interior of the Equinox (X) better - with the exception of their MDR which i preferred HALs (despite all the negative reviews that it doesn't fit the NY theme lol).

The crew on HAL wins hands down - their crew was like no other I've experienced so far in their level of service however X was up there pretty high.

You will always find good and bad for all. I say go by itinerary and price and see what you end up with. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed either way!

I'll also add that I'm not like most HALers here as I kinda want them to make an even larger/more grand ship, just because I'd love to experience a ship the size of the Solstice class on X, in the HAL fleet. I think it would be awesome. :) I don't want a mega ship from HAL, but I'd love one that is pushin' 3k. Bring it on HAL! :-)

Whichever you choose, I think you'll be happy. :-)

I've done the Eastern Med on each line in 2010 and 2011, and honestly, they were both great. HAL had the edge on food for me, Celebrity seemed to have more things for me to do on the ship (but HAL had quite a bit too never fear). I tend to like the spectacle of it all. I enjoy marveling at how awesome the ship is. The Nieuw Amsterdam was great, but I liked the interior of the Equinox (X) better - with the exception of their MDR which i preferred HALs (despite all the negative reviews that it doesn't fit the NY theme lol).

The crew on HAL wins hands down - their crew was like no other I've experienced so far in their level of service however X was up there pretty high.

You will always find good and bad for all. I say go by itinerary and price and see what you end up with. I honestly don't think you'll be disappointed either way!

I'll also add that I'm not like most HALers here as I kinda want them to make an even larger/more grand ship, just because I'd love to experience a ship the size of the Solstice class on X, in the HAL fleet. I think it would be awesome. :) I don't want a mega ship from HAL, but I'd love one that is pushin' 3k. Bring it on HAL! :-)

Another thing that is giving HAL the edge right now besides itinerary is Celeb's dining choices with children. The only dinner venue for kids under 12 is the MDR. Now obviously if the kids are cranky I won't be bringing them to a fancy venue, of course. But I'd like the option of having dinner somewhere besides the MDR. Even if I wanted to have my 5 yo be babysat in the room and take the baby to dinner (who would probably be asleep in my arms anyway) I don't have that option.

I'm a little po'd bc when I booked my Celebrity suite, the rep I spoke to specifically said to me that my suite included 2 dining experiences at any of the signature restaurants for anyone traveling in our stateroom...oh, but the fine print says no one under 12. Hey fine no problem if thats your policy, but you neglected to tell me that.

Another thing that is giving HAL the edge right now besides itinerary is Celeb's dining choices with children. The only dinner venue for kids under 12 is the MDR. Now obviously if the kids are cranky I won't be bringing them to a fancy venue, of course. But I'd like the option of having dinner somewhere besides the MDR. Even if I wanted to have my 5 yo be babysat in the room and take the baby to dinner (who would probably be asleep in my arms anyway) I don't have that option.

What about room service or the oceanview cafe? Or the Tuscan Grille or Silk Harvest? Only the Murano restaurant has a minimum age.

No, actually all 3 specialty dining venues are over 12 yrs age now.

That's not what it says on the website.

The point is, there are other dining options.

You are looking at the 2 most adult-oriented lines of the mainstream lines. The different lines have different amenities to suit their target demographics. Both Celebrity and HAL target older adults. Perhaps Royal Caribbean or Carnival would be a better fit for your family.

Archived