Flowrider - 52" son, should I get him a lesson?

We're going to be o the Liberty of the Seas in March. I can see my son particularly really enjoying the Flowrider. We've tried it before at a local waterpark but he pretty much just slid out the end the 3-4 times he tried it so no real opportunity so far to actually ride the wave.

He's only tall enough for boogie boarding. Do you think it would be worth it to pay the $60 for the private lesson? He's considering using some of his Christmas money for it. I do expect we will give it a shot on departure day and he will likely wake up to do the 8am slot in the mornings when it is less busy.

We only have 5 short days on the cruise and he's really looking forward to the flowrider. Just wondering if he "needs" lessons, kwim? Or will the pointers the crew will give to him be enough?

As I mentioned above, our last experience was rather disappointing, but where we were at, the moment you wipe out, you're done. So we would slide in and slide right out...which was rather frustrating...but that's just the way it was. From what I see of the videos, LOS' flowrider is set up differently and at least, even if you wipe out right away, you actually get to be in the middle of the wave for half a second. He never even made it INTO the wave at our waterpark LOL!!

My two boys and husband live on the FlowRider while cruising! You could go ahead and book the FlowRider $60 lesson...and then see what the daily crowds are doing. Embarkation day is a great day to start on the FlowRider. The staff there are great! And they will try to help your son stay on the board, and learn how to surf the wave. As the lines increase throughout the week...Usually a wipe-out means that your turn is over.

If you are finding that he is able to boogie board quite frequently by getting there early in the morning...and that he is learning how to surf the wave...then you could cancel the $60 lesson. This is just my opinion...but sometimes the $60 lessons offer even less time on the wave because the instructors take a great amount of time to teach each person, and allow them to try and surf the wave. We usually book the wave for ourselves for an hour $300...and try and split the cost with a couple of other people. This way...the instruction from the staff is minimal...and you can surf 'til you are exhausted!

Basically, I would monitor how the first day or two are going, and then decide whether to do lessons.

Enjoy...whatever you decide to do!

Crystal

If you are lucky, maybe he will get a very helpful sports staff person on duty when he wants to try the FR. All of the staff are very nice but some will give extra help/time if they see you need it.

My wife did it with no lessons(her first time) but the sports staff person took a lot of time helping her and it paid off.:D

If I book a lesson for say...the second day, what if we decide to cancel it? What's involved with cancelling? Is there a cancellation deadline, etc?

I wouldn't mind getting him a lesson, but many have said that if he is just boogie boarding, lessons may not be necessary. If the staff assist a little bit and give him a couple of pointers, it may be enough for him. (our waterpark's staff doesn't and we spent a fair bit of time in line to get chances to learn, but it didn't work out. no biggie...just the way it is. I'm rather excited to see that staff are more helpful on the cruise)

Thanks!

My younger son is now 53" and finally tall enough to try it on our cruise on Freedom in April. I will definitely be doing a lesson as early in the trip as possible (and will probably pay for my 14 yo to do another as well...he did it last time and it made all the difference in the world).

There are only about 8 people in the lesson and if there are about 1/2 that want to do stand up, they will split the flowrider and have boogie board on one side, stand up on the other, which gives him even more personal attention.

If he's tried it before and was unsuccessful, I would definitely book the lesson. It's an hour of very good attention and he'll be so much better for it.

If I book a lesson for say...the second day, what if we decide to cancel it? What's involved with cancelling? Is there a cancellation deadline, etc?

I wouldn't mind getting him a lesson, but many have said that if he is just boogie boarding, lessons may not be necessary. If the staff assist a little bit and give him a couple of pointers, it may be enough for him. (our waterpark's staff doesn't and we spent a fair bit of time in line to get chances to learn, but it didn't work out. no biggie...just the way it is. I'm rather excited to see that staff are more helpful on the cruise)

Thanks!

I would have him try it very early on embarkation day when the lines are nil. The staff is very very helpful and will get him going on the boogie board well. If he still wants a lesson I believe you could still book one for day 2 at that time. Im sure someone else can give you advice on how fast the lessons fill up. Bottom line if your son is trying and keeps sliding out the bottom of the wave the staff is going to teach him what to do to be able to ride the wave with or without a lesson. Their job is to make sure the guests are safe and have a good time which I am sure he will. Enjoy your cruise.:D Here is another point, and the reason for my edit. If you stand at the flowrider and watch the lifeguard at the bottom they are usually getting people to do tricks to help them wipe out faster as the boogie boarding is really easy to grasp and someone could sit there and ride the wave forever. The learning curve is very fast but only you know the skil level of your son and how rapidly you think he will grasp it. My assumption is that he will be begging for the $300 wave rental so he has more time on it.

My assumption is that he will be begging for the $300 wave rental so he has more time on it.

LOL!!!!

I do think he'll pick up fairly quickly. He's an energetic 9 yr old and very athletic. Just want to make sure he has the best experience!

I booked the $60 lesson on Independence, and it was definitely worth it. There were only two others in my lesson, and there can be up to 5, so I got a lot of time compared to just going on it normally, when I had to queue for nearly 10 minutes.

If your learning to surf, that is a lot of time waiting for the 2 seconds you have on the board before you wipe out :D For boogie boarding however, just going regularly is probably fine.

Archived