Juneau Glacier Helicopter - Mendenhall or Pilot's Choice

janets

We will be in Juneau in late July on Radiance and want to do tour that walks (not climbing on glacier). RCCL has two choices - one Mendenhall and one pilot's choice

Anyone have any experience with these?

Pilots choice can be a double glacier landing. Mendenhall landing will be with TEMSCO, Mendenhall is no better/worse than any other Juneau icefield glacier, just more well known. :) If your funds allow, certainly the longer tour is "better". But I advocate a varied Alaska touring experience and would suggest the cheaper tour if you have to give something else up to do the longer. You may also want to consider independent booking with Coastal.

I heard a lot of folks say to book a glacier tour in both Juneau and Skagway just in case the Juneau gets cancelled

Be willing to go on both or encounter hefty cancelation fees. Understand fully all cancelation policies. It generally isn't a good idea to double book.

Thanks - see your point - if Juneau was cancelled by tour company due to weather, I would get a refund. But if Juneau did go then I would be stuck with double glaciers.

Any advice for how to handle this - should I not book anything for Skagway and if Juneau gets cancelled can I get something at the dock?

No you can just about guarantee there won't be any availablity at the dock. I would immediately try and make a contact from Juneau to TEMSCO in Skagway- but they likely are NOT to have anything that late so you next only option is to look for ship tour openings- slim chance there too since flights always sell out.

Archived