Weather out of Baltimore

jealdaka

What kind of weather should we expect when sailing out of Baltimore in December? I assume it may be cold but have no idea when we should hit warmer weather. Should it "normally" be warm on the first day at sea? I know there is no way to really know for sure but would like to know some of your experiences.

What kind of weather should we expect when sailing out of Baltimore in December? I assume it may be cold but have no idea when we should hit warmer weather. Should it "normally" be warm on the first day at sea? I know there is no way to really know for sure but would like to know some of your experiences.

We haven't sailed from Baltimore, but typically sailing out NY, people start using the pool on the 2nd full sea day, but it can always vary. In March, our last 2 1/2 sea days coming back were all cold and rainy.

Baltimore can be 60 in December, but it can also be around 0. They can also get some significant snowfall, but not normally in December.

I hope this helps.

Baltimore weather in December could be anywhere from sunny and 60 degrees to temps in the 20's and a blizzard. December of 2010 there was a blizzard the day after Christmas. December 2011 it was nice and in the 50-60 degree range.

Baltimore can get some mean weather from up the bay. So it could be rough and cold until you get to South Carolinia. But it could also be in the 60's. Most folks are more familiar with the weather in Washington, DC. Well it's only about 35 miles away if that gives you a better idea. Oh, one return trip the wind blew out the water in the port and we couldn't get off the ship for hours. They transported all those going out on the next trip to a hotel ballroom. Not to scare you but just to give you an idea how wierd the weather is in Baltimore. (I'm only aware of that happening once and that was years ago-2003)

I live 15 miles outside of Baltimore and usually snow does not come our way till mid to end of January. Today was close to 60 but that is unusual. Average temps HIGHs for December are in the 40's. You won't be able to use the main pool till you get further south possibly South Carolina/Georgia but if you are on the RCI's Enchantment of the Seas, the solarium pool for adults has a retracting roof and I assume in December it will be closed to form sort of an indoor pool. Don't know if the Pride has one.

I lived in Silver Spring, MD for a few years and wouldn't make a blanket statement that snow usually doesn't arrive until mid-January, since weather can vary widely year to year. There have been big snow storms as early as Veterans Day (exception to the rule). I'm surprised to hear that people are normally using the ship's pool by the second day at sea. How far south are the ships by then varies by the cruise, doesn't it? Weather.com is forecasting high temps for Baltimore over the next 10 days ranging from 43 to 56.

God only knows what the weather could be, not only from one day to the next but almost hourly. This morning it was raining and about 40. By noon the sun was out and the high was around 56. One thing you can count on is it will be too cold for the pool until at least day two. that being said we sailed fromNYC some time ago in November and the german nationals were in the pool for sailaway. I guess it depends on how hearty you may be.

The actual statistical date for the first snow of an inch or more in the Baltimore area is December 6th.

That being said, the first day this year was Halloween and then nothing happened until a surprise light coating this past Monday. The coldest month is usually January and the snowiest is February. Because of the Northern Ocillation Zone and La Nina, this is not a normal winter. It is much milder than normal.

What will it be when you cruise? I can only tell you that the last accurate weather forecast was when God told Noah it was going to rain!

I sailed from Baltimore on Celebrity Mercury on January 29, 2011. It was bitterly cold and there were traces of snow on our aft balcony. However, the pool was indeed used on the second day and it was noticeably warmer later that day.

Make the best of your cruise no matter the weather.

This morning it was raining and about 40. By noon the sun was out and the high was around 56.

Yep, and today the high will be around 37 with wind gusts up to 40 mph, making it feel like 20. Big change.

There is absolutely no way to predict or even guess Baltimore winter weather. ;)

Archived