Best Way from Whittier to Anchorage?

Carol M

I am taking my family of 5 and the Princess transfers are $73 ea which is $365. I am looking for other more economical choices, especially from Whittier to Anchorage. I was able to get a full size rental car in Whittier, but I don't think it is going to hold all our luggage. (No larger ones available). We don't fly out of Anchorage until 9:30 pm and we don't want to sit in a terminal all day. I have checked on limo services, but haven't found anything economical. Do any of you have any suggestions? Thanks so much for any help!

You may want to consider 2 rental cars, would be slightly cheaper than the princess transfer, but would allow you the freedom to tour some of the Arm on your own and Anchorage. No, a full size car is NOT going to hold 5 people unless a couple are small children and at most 3 bags. If you can get within those limits- I would definately go with a single car. Cut down on your bulky bags by doing laundry. You will only need clothes for a week, mix and match. :) Plenty of touring options as well as meal choices. You could be on your way probabaly shortly after the Harbor Store opens where Avis is located at 8am. Then you would have a full day. Better use of time compared to being dropped off downtown, airport etc.

Thank you so much for the information. I have contacted Magic Bus and hope that will work for us. I may also check getting 2 autos.

Anyone else have any transportation ideas?

Carol

Sun Princess 7/4/05

We arrive in Whittier on May 14th and have book a great little tour group. I say great wont know until we done it, but I’ve talked with them and sound nice. Here is some of their pitch.

Alaskan Leopard Comedy Tours – Unique and one-of-a-kind Cruise Ship Transportation and City Tour. Our talented costumed character actors guide your through many of the local sites and we provide a wonderful alternative to the crowded cruise ship transport buses. Visit our website for rates and schedules: http://www.alaskanleopard.com/tours

It’s only $69. per person. Sound fun. Just a suggestion.

Island Princess May 7th from Vancouver.

Check with Avis and see if you can get a minivan. There are four of us renting one to go to Whittier for the May 14 Island sailing and the cost was aroud $230 for one day, but as you know none of the choices are cheap. This still beats standing around waiting for the Princess busses to load. I think the Princess bus transfers were $55 pp going to Whittier are they $73 to return?

Well, ssbeard, Magicbus called me and said they could not take me from Whittier to Anchorage - only did Anchorage to Whittier. Something about logistics, luggage, etc. But thanks. Hope it works for you!

I have contacted the "comedy" transport group and hope that works. Sounds interesting and will help kill some of the day for us. Thanks.

There were no vans available on that day 7/11, so cant go that direction.

And the 2 cars was over $400.

Thanks for all the suggestions and hope to hear from more of you. A lot of people are interested in this topic I think...........

Carol M

Sun Princess 7/4/05

Well, you basically run out of your option. That's about it.

Also, a clarification:

Princess bus transfer ALWAYS costs $55. No exception.

Many people say Princess transfer costs $73, WRONG.

This number includes both transfer, Anchorage and Vancouver. Don't be mislead.

Anchorage: $55; Vancouver: $18

Total: $55+18=$73.

They are totally independent. You can choose either one or both, whatever you like.

So when you are doing comparison, always use the right number!

The Magic Bus does a Whittier to Anchorage. I have spoken with them several times about what time to pick us up. It is $195 for our family of 4, but it is a flat $195 for personal pick up regardless if it is 1 or a van full. They do have a regularly scheduled time each day they pick up in Whittier which is considerably cheaper (but I believe this time is in the late afternoon).

Thanks, katmai for clearing up the $55 vs. $73. My TA gave me the $73 and I assumed I could only take both transfers as a package.

Also, ssbeard, I think I may call Magicbus again based on your post.

My new idea is taking alaskatransportationgroup.com which is $40/pp and get dropped at the airport, check our luggage, and rent a car for the rest of the day.

• 2 weeks later...

I am still looking for inventive ways to get to Anchorage from Whittier. I do now have a rental car at Anchorage Airport to use until our flt out at 9:30 pm.

Also, where exactly should we go for sightseeing in Anchorage for about 5 or 6 hours?

I am still looking for inventive ways to get to Anchorage from Whittier. I do now have a rental car at Anchorage Airport to use until our flt out at 9:30 pm.

Also, where exactly should we go for sightseeing in Anchorage for about 5 or 6 hours?

Request their visitor guide http://www.anchorage.net

Thanks, katmai for clearing up the $55 vs. $73. My TA gave me the $73 and I assumed I could only take both transfers as a package.

Also, ssbeard, I think I may call Magicbus again based on your post.

My new idea is taking alaskatransportationgroup.com which is $40/pp and get dropped at the airport, check our luggage, and rent a car for the rest of the day.

Frankly a superior option with only one very limited touring day would be to just rent a one way car Whittier/Anchorage. It would offer you the option to see the Arm on your timeframe, you could get an earlier start- I believe the Avis office opens at 8am, and no wasted time at the airport picking up a car.

Archived