Has anyone taken an Alaska Ferry?

Maeshel

Didn't know where to post the question, but this forum looks like the best fit.

Just booked passage on a ferry on the Alaskian Marine Highway and was wondering if anyone has sailed on the ferry system before? What was your experience like?

My sister lives in Alaska and we started out planning a family south bound cruise. Family: Myself and my wife, elderly mom and dad, and my sister from Alaska. We have all been on several cruise before and have experienced the luxury of the cruise lines before.

My sister proposed that we book on a ferry and take her car along. We would sail from Whitter to Juneau. Over night in a hotel in Juneau and board a different ferry to Prince Rupert. Then drive back to Anchorage via AlCan Highway.

We have been to Alaska many times but none of us has done the inside passage. Mainly looking for scenery.

Out the door price for 5 and car $3500

Personally I have not done it but know people who have; right down to taking their own tents, sleeping bags and coolers aboard and sleeping out on deck. Last week I even sailed with a lady whoes father had been a master of one of the ferries. From everything I have read and been told, it is a wonderful way to see coastal Alaska. It isn't fancy, it isn't always timely, it can be expensive but it is fun and its scenic.

I grew up in Alaska and have taken the ferry system numerous times when visiting family in Southeast Alaska. The ferry system is a public transportation system and is not to be confused with taking a cruise. The ships that are used are nothing like a cruise ship. They are great for transporting bikes, motorcycles and cars to and from Washington. There are cabins available on some of the longer trips where the vessels can accommodate you. I have never stayed in one but have heard they are nothing like a cruiseship - subpar to even a inside stateroom. Food is basically cafeteria food if the ship has dining available. Seating is usually open seating, a deck or two to use for wildlife viewing.

These ships do not have fancy stabilizer systems and are small compared to the commercial cruise ships you see. Expect rough seas, lots of movement on the ship itself. So, if you are prone to sea sickness, watch out! It is often a cheaper way though to get from community to community in Southeast Alaska, as many are on islands and by sea or plane is the only way to get around. Good luck. And $3500 is about right, if you have a long itinerary and you are transporting a vehicle that distance. Often a driver is given free fare when transporting a vehicle.

Bon Voyage!

When we spent 19 days in Alaska a few years ago, we took several of the ferries; some were day trips and some were overnight. The cabins were very small and utilitarian, with buink beds and private bathrooms. The food (cafeteria style) was much better than we expected, and not expensive. There were naturalists on board giving several interesting lectures. The captains would slow down and point out wildlife. We had a wonmderful time and throoughly enjoyed the ferries.

I've done the inside passage from Prince Rupert to Port Hardy. It was something like a 20 hr trip. Like others have said it wasn't anything like a cruise ship. We had a travel trailer that's where we slept, It was noisy and vibrated in the car hold, didn't get a good nights rest. A lot of people slept on deck or on seats in the public areas. So it's just a people and car mover. They're not nice. But get you and your car from point A to B very efficiently.

We had a travel trailer that's where we slept, It was noisy and vibrated in the car hold, didn't get a good nights rest.

This puzzles me. From the AMH site: United States Coast Guard regulations prohibit access to the car deck while a vessel is underway.

We have, on one of the larger ships the Matanuska.

The M/V Columbia, has a sit-down restaurant.

This is one of the very best ways of talking to the locals and we heard many stories.

The ship had 2 brand new babies on board with the parents taking them home from the hospitals and the ships crews knew most of the people on board all rushing to see the new family members.

You're NOT allowed in your vehicle... at all... once it's in the row-row section unless you're in port.

The ship may be in port in the middle of the night.

You can get off and spend a bit of time on shore, but better be back before the ship leaves.

Sometimes it's in port for an hour and sometimes 3 hours depending on what they have to remove or take on from the vehicle deck.

The System carries cars, trucks, semi trucks, freight and walk-on passengers

You can camp on the top deck as they have heaters and that's an "interesting" place.

During the day we wandered around more than sitting anywhere, talking to the people and watching outdoors.

We had a great cabin that was huge because we didn't know about the space and reserved a 4 person cabin, but don't expect cabin service like a cruise ship.

Trash is collected daily and fresh linens are available on request.

Foot passengers can only bring carry on luggage.

Here is a web-site you might enjoy.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g28923-d108655

http://www.welcometoalaska.com/ferry.htm#floor

If the sites aren't clickable....... copy and paste them.

We loved doing it this way.

We got on in Bellingham, rented a car in Juneau, put it on a ship after a few days then exited at Haines.

Spent the next 19 days driving all over, fishing and exploring as much as we could in both Alaska and the Yukon Territory.

Returned it the same way and flew out of Juneau.

Thanks all, especially seashells. That 2nd link was great. We will be aboard M/V Matanuska and M/V Kennicott. They were review in the 2nd link.

Am not expecting the glitz of a large cruise, but am getting excited about the trip.

This puzzles me. From the AMH site: United States Coast Guard regulations prohibit access to the car deck while a vessel is underway.

I don't know. Now I'm puzzled too. It was a very long time ago, I was a teenager travelling with my parents, rules might have changed since then. We were on a Canadian ship, BC Ferries, travelling in Canadian waters so maybe the US rules are different?

Archived