Is Alaska fun for kids? (ages 12 & 13)

MarcieandTed

Thinking about an Alaskan cruise in early August... with our two girls ages 12 and 13. Would this be fun for them? Are the pools open? Which cruise lines would you suggest?

One of my girls loves to swim, so an inside pool would be ideal. The other would be happy with ping pong, mini golf, etc.

What is the weather typically like at that time of year?

Thanks!

Thinking about an Alaskan cruise in early August... with our two girls ages 12 and 13. Would this be fun for them? Are the pools open? Which cruise lines would you suggest?

One of my girls loves to swim, so an inside pool would be ideal. The other would be happy with ping pong, mini golf, etc.

Thanks!

We have been taking each our grandsons to Alaska after they turn 10. We've taken 3 and have 2 to go. We have taken them on NCL, just because it is a little less expensive to go RT out of Seattle and staying the night before, in Seattle, has been fun. Their childrens program has been good if the girls would like that. Shore excursions are very expensive in Alaska, but IMHO it takes doing them to please the kids (us too :)). A seaplane flight to Neets Creek out of Ketchikan to see the salmon spawning and the bear feasting on them has been a highlight. They will be spawning in early August. Whale watching in Juneau has been a mix. With one of them we saw the best ever whale show with a bubble feed. A rental car in Skagway to drive into the Yukon was a hit with all three of them. Be sure they have cameras and can stop to take pictures when they want. Even small waterfalls were fun for them. I'm drawing a blank - someone will tell you the name - stop to meet dogsled puppies and pan for gold. Drive a little further to see Emerald Lake - this was a good turn around spot for us. If you will be renting a car - reserve it soon! There are a limited number available in Skagway.

Here's a thread to give you lots of info about the car rental and drive from Skagway:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1453410&highlight=skagway+car+rental&page=2

Murray's guide to the Klondike highway is very good - note his information about passports.

http://www.*****************/

FWIW my kids were 10, 14 and 16 at the time. Every cruise offers similar elements in kids club, pool and other activities. Pick a larger ship from a mainstream line and you'll get similar activities during the summer. No question for Alaska there will be less of the outdoors activitiy as it is cooler for laying out by the pool and such.

As to ports we geared the excursions to be child friendly, they enjoyed all the ports.

Thanks!

I took my kids to Alaska for years. One claims I "dragged" him there, I did leave him home after that.

ASK the kids. Your very limited comments are really more suited for the Caribbean, (a lot cheaper too :) )

I'm taking my nephews this year- which I've been trying to do for several. :)

My last cruise to Alaska included 3 of my nieces (ages 5, 10 & 12 at the time) and they loved it. They all did express interest in going before it was booked. As others mentioned, Alaska is more about the ports and less about hanging out on the ship since there is so much to be explored and it is rather pricey.

The kids preferred to be with us adults most of the time except they played some ping pong & they really loved the pool (fyi - the only ships I know of that don't have covered pools available to kids are Island & Coral Princess). We were on HAL's Oosterdam.

I've heard the demographics are similar on all cruise lines to Alaska during the summer months so there may not be much difference in the amount of activities onboard for kids between the different lines.

Archived