Random observations: QM2 19Dec -Jan 3 voyage

Salacia

I noticed the following changes which were new to me, but perhaps others are already aware of the following, in no order of importance:

-The World Club Member pins have been changed. The pin is now a flag shape with a background color according to WC level, with the Cunard logo imprinted in gold tone.

-White Star recommendation cards need to be requested from the Pursar's Desk as they are not readily displayed as in the past.

-The price of drinks has been increased. For example, a can of soda now costs $2.50 plus 15% service charge.

-Improvements have been made regarding the shower, in that the flow and temperature of the water is far more consistant.

...more to follow.

Perhaps of intrest might be a new digital photo package offered on board. As your photo is taken, you will be asked your cabin number. When you go the the kisok in the photo gallery, insert your cabin card, and the photos taken can be viewed on the screen. Copyright free digital images are availabe for purhchase as a package...if I remember correctly, the lowest cost package is $149 for 10 photos.

Thanks Artemis. What impressed me most was the way the crew and passengers responded to the Commodore's announcement that a passenger was to be evacuated by helicopter and our route was altered. Later, you could hear a pin drop as Commordore Rynd made the announcenment that the medevac was about to take place and certian areas were off limits. After the chopper took off succesfully, the mood on-board was a collective sigh of relief for a fellow passenger getting the help needed. In retrospect, it could have been any one of us, and I certainly appreciated knowing that such a mission could be accomplished so smoothly.

Frankly, other issues seem trivial by comparison, but not everything went as smoothly.

Frankly, other issues seem trivial by comparison, but not everything went as smoothly.

Hoping that whatever didn't go smoothly was fixed and your trip was a happy one. ~ What are your thoughts about the new carpeting in the public areas?

Hoping that whatever didn't go smoothly was fixed and your trip was a happy one. ~ What are your thoughts about the new carpeting in the public areas?

Oahucruiser, thanks - it certainly was an interesting voyage. My thoughts regarding the carpeting in the public areas are fairly neutral, although it did seem rather disjointed as a whole - not much flow from one area to another and the patterns are busy,varied in color and pattern.

The carpeting in the cabins, however, seemed quite out of place for the following reason: the white 'tails' come foward to the eye, while the black 'tails' receed. The field color is brown. The overall effect is a three dimmensional ground. Not what would wish for on an ocean liner where one hopes for the illusion of walking on level ground. The carpeting is also a clear indicator of how small the cabin is (dark carpeting abutting light walls clearly defines the space), and the dark color absorbs light rather than reflects light so the cabin is darker (based on my previous experiences in balcony cabins).

Just to add that the colors in the cabin carpets are not a flat color, but rather a mottled combination. The texture of the carpet does not welcome bare feet. As with any new carpet, it was shedding and pilling, but the steward did a good job vacuuming (hovering) every day.

The new cabin drapes are gold floral on beige background - a classical brocade treatment. The old sofa remained the same maroon and gold checkered pattern. The combined effect - to me, at least, was disjointed.

Suggestion: check your evening gown or trousers before leaving your cabin as the fibers from the carpet seem to attach themselves to certain fabrics.

On this voyage, there were no servers singing happy birthday or anniverary songs to any passengers in Britannia Restaurant after dinner while serving a special cake as had occured on previous voyages. However, the ship's "Morning Show" host Phil suggested that passengers on board celebrating a special occasion could send him a note and he would make mention of same on his show. I don't know if this is a change in policy, or if it pertained only to this voyage.

Oahucruiser, thanks - it certainly was an interesting voyage. My thoughts regarding the carpeting in the public areas are fairly neutral, although it did seem rather disjointed as a whole - not much flow from one area to another and the patterns are busy,varied in color and pattern.

The carpeting in the cabins, however, seemed quite out of place for the following reason: the white 'tails' come foward to the eye, while the black 'tails' receed. The field color is brown. The overall effect is a three dimmensional ground. Not what would wish for on an ocean liner where one hopes for the illusion of walking on level ground. The carpeting is also a clear indicator of how small the cabin is (dark carpeting abutting light walls clearly defines the space), and the dark color absorbs light rather than reflects light so the cabin is darker (based on my previous experiences in balcony cabins).

Just to add that the colors in the cabin carpets are not a flat color, but rather a mottled combination. The texture of the carpet does not welcome bare feet. As with any new carpet, it was shedding and pilling, but the steward did a good job vacuuming (hovering) every day.

The new cabin drapes are gold floral on beige background - a classical brocade treatment. The old sofa remained the same maroon and gold checkered pattern. The combined effect - to me, at least, was disjointed.

Suggestion: check your evening gown or trousers before leaving your cabin as the fibers from the carpet seem to attach themselves to certain fabrics.

I wonder if the dark, mottled carpets, the gold beige curtains, and the maroon, checked sofa have been designed this way to disguise any dirt should the staff fall behind in cleaning. In a pinch, a less than clean cabin would not be so visibly so.

I wish they would make sure the shower curtains do not smell of mildew, however. I find that so unpleasant and unbelievable for a ship like QM2 (more like a cheap motel). I have found myself bringing a small can of Lysol now just in case. What you really need to vanquish mildew, however, is bleach (or Tylex). It's odd some people don't seem to notice mildew. (I've even stayed at the occasional five star Parisian hotel that has had this problem of bad smells.)

I wonder if the dark, mottled carpets, the gold beige curtains, and the maroon, checked sofa have been designed this way to disguise any dirt should the staff fall behind in cleaning. In a pinch, a less than clean cabin would not be so visibly so.

I wish they would make sure the shower curtains do not smell of mildew, however. I find that so unpleasant and unbelievable for a ship like QM2 (more like a cheap motel). I have found myself bringing a small can of Lysol now just in case. What you really need to vanquish mildew, however, is bleach (or Tylex). It's odd some people don't seem to notice mildew. (I've even stayed at the occasional five star Parisian hotel that has had this problem of bad smells.)

Hi Leucothea. I know what you mean about the mildew, but happily there was no sign (or scent) of mildew in my cabin. The grout in the bathroom appeared to be newly repaired - a big improvement over what we found last July.

I did notice an increase in the amount of what I think was antibacterial scented air freshner coming from the air ducts throughout the ship. It was most noticeable in our cabin. I suppose most passengers aren't bothered by the ingredients, but some with allergies or asthma might be. We recently stayed in a hotel in Washington DC that used a similar substance in their air conditioning and both my husband and I had the same reaction: it irrated our eyes and respiratory system. At least on QM2 we were able to keep our balcony door open for fresh air.

Funny thing about the carpeting in the cabins - the color of the rug really doesn't hide anything, and because the carpet is new and pilling, the cabin steward has to vaccum it everyday anyway.

On the morning of disemarkation, I noticed that the ubiquitous green Britannia Category pool towels had been replaced with new pool towels: white with beige squiggles...I didn't open the towels so I'm not certain of all the colors of the squiggles.

Hopefull, the well worn white bathrobes will also be replaced, and the new ones will remain just one solid color.

I was on the 12/12 voyage and had picked this sailing in order to celebrate my 65th birthday on board which was on the 4th night of the trip. Up till then, I had heard no birthday singing, etc. at our second seating but sure enough the cake and singing were done for me. I later learned that my two travel companions had discussed my birthday with our head waiter to make sure all went well. On subsequent nights, there were quite a few birthday celebrations. There was also a special mention of my "significant" birthday read on the morning show written by my companions in addition to the usual mention in the program of birthdays, crew's birthdays, etc. I would think the best bet is that if you are having a birthday on board, make sure to mention it to make sure you get your little celebration. It was great fun.

Hi Salacia, On the 12/12 voyage, several of the elevators were out of service. We were told that it was an unexpected computer problem and parts were waiting in NY. Just wondering if they got fixed ok. What was Christmas and New Year's like onboard? One of the highlights of my voyage was so many passengers singing Christmas carols and songs around deck 2 and 3 of the Grand Lobby. Hope overall, you had a wonderful time.

Hi Salacia, On the 12/12 voyage, several of the elevators were out of service. We were told that it was an unexpected computer problem and parts were waiting in NY. Just wondering if they got fixed ok. What was Christmas and New Year's like onboard? One of the highlights of my voyage was so many passengers singing Christmas carols and songs around deck 2 and 3 of the Grand Lobby. Hope overall, you had a wonderful time.

Hi Keuka Lake Sailor. Our cabin was situated between C and D elevators and we didn't experience any problems with those elevators.

The ship was beautifully decorated for Christmas. Very gracefull and serene. I have some pictures of the Grand lobby which I will post once I get my digital files in order.Yes, the caroling was lovely. We especially enjoyed watching the special gathering of children singing carols.

A funny story about the Catholic Midnight Mass we were so looking forward to: The Daily Programme had the Catholic Mass scheduled for 11:45pm in Illuminations, and the Protestant Christmas Service scheduled for 11:45pm in the Royal Court Theatre.

We were several minutes late in arriving for Mass at Illuminations, but had no problem finding a seat in the back. About ten minutes into the service, my husband and I were both rather suprised at how different this mass was from past experience. At first, we attributed to the recent changes in the Liturgy that are being phased in gradually. But the differences became more and more apparent. Himself was feeling very warm in his tuxedo, so we quietly exited before the service ended. It was then that we noticed the sign that we had hurried past without reading on the way in to Illuminations: Lutheran Christmas Service.

(No doubt an announcement had been made about the swith in venues, but we missed it!)

We took some photos on New Year's Eve which I'll post later.

Salacia,

Have they put wall hooks in the QM2 cabins like they have on the QV and QE?

Hi Ray. No, there were no wall hooks in the cabin we had.

Also, no new "peep hole" in the cabin door yet. As new safety laws require them, I was suprised "peep holes" where not installed during the refit. But I suppose there wasn't time enough to do all the work needed: for example, the paint on our balcony chairs and table was flaking off, and rust was visible below the glass under the balcony railing as well as on the drainage pipes above. The furniture in the cabin could have used a touch-up of black paint to cover the areas where it had worn off.

However, the Promenade Deck was in fine repair and the maintenance/cleaning seemed to be increased from what we observed in the past.

No, there were no wall hooks in the cabin we had.

That's a bit poor then. I don't understand why they didn't do that. Where do they think people hang their outdoor jackets - especially wet ones?

:(

^ Brilliant! I will start asking for those hooks, as well. I never thought of wall hooks as a solution for another issue: evening gowns are too long to be hung in QM2 closets in some (all?) Britannia-class cabins (a curious lapse on a ship where formal attire is de rigueur!). Our cabin steward had no clue of a workaround, so I ended up hooking my hangars over louvers in an air vent on the wall.

Hi Ray. No, there were no wall hooks in the cabin we had.

Also, no new "peep hole" in the cabin door yet. As new safety laws require them, I was suprised "peep holes" where not installed during the refit

most of them were but they dealt with the Queens grill suites 1st fact about the refit was there was 6 weeks originally put aside for the work to be done and the 6 weeks worth of work was done in 8 days so for the amount of time they had to do the refit they did well although on the voyage after we did experience problems of running into work men especially during boarding

J

most of them were but they dealt with the Queens grill suites 1st fact about the refit was there was 6 weeks originally put aside for the work to be done and the 6 weeks worth of work was done in 8 days so for the amount of time they had to do the refit they did well although on the voyage after we did experience problems of running into work men especially during boarding

J

Hi cunardfanatic. I think I understand. Perhaps we are agreeing that the work required was condensed due to the abbreviated time in dry dock? And that the refit is on-going?

BTW, I should have mentioned previously that we booked Cat A-3 guarantee and were upgraded to Cat A-2. We were assigned an adjoining cabin.

Wall hooks sound like a great idea, but I was trying to think of a wall on which to place the hooks that I wouldn't impale myself upon [britannia Category, Balcony]. Four walls in the cabin: the cabin door, the balcony door, the wall above the bed and the sofa, the wall opposite the bed with two wall lights above the desk...I give up! Where would you place the wall hooks???

Wall hooks sound like a great idea, but I was trying to think of a wall on which to place the hooks that I wouldn't impale myself upon [britannia Category, Balcony]. Four walls in the cabin: the cabin door, the balcony door, the wall above the bed and the sofa, the wall opposite the bed with two wall lights above the desk...I give up! Where would you place the wall hooks???

On the wall opposite the bed next to the wardrobes. They are high enough up so as not to be in the way.

p1040312m.jpg

Archived