Is it frowned upon?

Think I would be embarrassed too! I might sneak out a banana but that's about it - we usually enjoy a big breakfast and make do - you can always grab afternoon tea when you get back to the ship if you've missed out on lunch - don't think you'll ever starve though - there's always food at any time of day

I'm the same Jules. We have a breakfast which is so much bigger than we would have at home, plus cream teas and a five course dinner that quite honestly we're more than happy to just have a coffee and cake off the ship in the middle of the day. More calories - I don't need! (Although on sea days I confess to having a proper lunch as well! :eek: )

Apologies if my last post at the end sounded jumbled. Is there a edit button.

Personally whilst i understand some want to keeps cost to a minimum i think its a bit cheeky to make up sarnies in view of the staff, also i really think on any other cruise line you would be seriously reprimanded.

Thomson seem to turn a blind eye to some inappropriate behaviour.

Crusing should have some refinement and not turned into a free for all like the endless all inclusive package holidays out there.

Im with the others on here there is so much food to eat all day and night that you prob dont need all that extra.

Also remember the ship does a lot of work to keep people safe from illness so taking food out of the resturants and storing it in boxes etc can only increase the risk of contanimaiton , on our cruise they didnt use the scanner machine but they may if there are issues in the countries you are visiting and you could end up be forced to dump any solid or fluids before departing the ship. So in most cases your are forced to buy on land.

Most ships do not allow you to take off solids or fludis as the norm and have the scanner to detect what is coming on or off the ship as well as scanning each case before embarkement.

I would also think that kind of behaviour would make the staff and other passengers feel very uncomfortable, not nice. I remember the first holiday abroad ever with our kids seeing a family take empty carrier bags into the restaurant at breakfast and then troop out with them bulging so they didnt have to buy any food out in the daytime on the beach (It was a 4 star hotel) they were very brazen about boasting to us about it and I was even more horrified that they were from the midlands, tried to disguise my accent for the rest of the holiday, people shouldnt make other passengers feel uncomfortable. Yes a piece of fruit is acceptable we have done that but come on!

Hi, its just food for thought but we are on a Baltic cruise in May 2012 & expecting to pay £50 for a smelly old kipper & coke in Scandinavian ports. Dont really think their economies need that much of a boost!

Ha ha I'm with you on this one! We have only cruised in the Caribbean, Greece, Turkey and now the Canaries, where the local food is reasonably priced and part of the holiday experience for us. In the Baltics I think it would be a case of eating a big breakfast on board to last the day!

Carol x

We were mighty glad we made a couple of cheese rolls and grabbed a banana when we did the Gallipoli excursion. It was a very long full day excursion and the whole day we didn't see one place to get food from. Not only that the tour guide was a complete lunatic who didn't pause for breath for the best part of nine hours. The coach stopped every few minutes for a 10 minute stop and we wolfed down our rolls at one stop and were still chewing as we ran back to the coach. Not only that the coach actually drove off leaving us behind at a war cemetery. Luckily they came back for us.:eek:

The Thomson excursion staff on board told us to take something from the breakfast buffet when we enquired, we asked if it was allowed and they said it was. Nevertheless we were discreet about it.

Onlythebest you can edit your post but only for 15 minutes after posting the original.

Jan

I noticed the bit about being scanned coming back after a day trip.

Can you bring a bottle of coke or water back with you?

Yes they don't seem to have an issue with that. We often buy bottled water at local supermarkets at a fraction of the price it would cost on board. You can also bring duty free drinks on board which have been purchased on shore (either for consumption in your own cabin or to bring home with you).

However, they do have good value duty free on sale on the ship too and unlike some cruise lines which 'save it until the end of your cruise for your convenience' (hmmm........ can't imagine who benefits most from that! :rolleyes:). You can take it to your cabin - again not to drink in the bars/dining room etc but you don't have it temporarily confiscated!!!!

I thought thomson were excellent with allowing water and stuff back on the shops, saves on the 1.75 charge in the room.

Many people i know who had been on different cruises lines had said this was highly unusual.

Every Sunday they have a sale on boat ,which is a further 15 percent of cigs , average price before the discount was 18 pound for lambert to 25 for malborogh, so really well priced, even non smokers were buying.

Cigs though in the canaria islands were very cheap about 21 pound per carton.

Every day they would have reduced prices on other stuff such as perfume , aftershave, bags etc.

Hi, its just food for thought but we are on a Baltic cruise in May 2012 & expecting to pay £50 for a smelly old kipper & coke in Scandinavian ports. Dont really think their economies need that much of a boost! Hopefully us poor Brits will get food pacels from them when going ashore.

We have never considered taking food off the ship but in all honesty it has crossed our minds for full day DIY tours is Stockholm & Heksinki etc. We do eat a hearty breakfast before going ashore but prefer to spend money touring rather than on expensive meals ashore. If it was reasonably priced then we would definately try the local fare.

Len

Me and the daughter did a Baltic cruise a couple of years ago - definitely take something with you - or consider a second mortgage. There were loads of horror stories although a latte at a fiver wasn't too bad considering!

I'm with the breakfast then wait brigade, mainly because it is actually nice to feel hungry at least once on your cruise instead of - oh no is it time to eat again!

:D:D:D:D And how I recognise that feeling!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :rolleyes:

Definition of repast (noun)

food that is eaten; meal

Examples

The repast consisted of cheese, wine, and bread.

--------------------------

NOT to take out of a cruise buffet (not Silversea cruise may I add ! ) because they get picnics provided ;)

Stevie :D

Steve you do make me chuckle

Archived