Wine Tastings...

SpeakerOfMind

Okay, I'm not really a huge wine drinker (HATE red, by the way)... but I've been curious about these wine tastings on Princess. First of all, are these the "swirl it around in your mouth and spit it out" types of events, or the "let's all have a sip of 12 different wines and get schnockered" type? Also, if I absolutely WILL NOT drink the red wine, will the wine steward give me ten lashings with a magnum of champagne? Also, while you're considering answering all that... how about the cost and what time of day they usually are? Okay, now put down your glass and type.

I can't tell you about the wine tastings but do have a movie to suggest: "Sideways".

Two men go on an excursion and end up inducing midlife crises in this comedy-drama that won six Independent Spirit Awards, including Best Feature and Best Director. Pinot Noir lover Miles (Paul Giamatti) convinces friend Jack (Thomas Haden Church) to enjoy his last days of bachelorhood with a wine country road trip. The pair get involved with two women (Sandra Oh and Virginia Madsen) and inevitably come face to face with their past and present.

We went to a wine tasting on the Golden last year and they had you taste 3 reds and 3 white wines. They have standard wine glasses that they fill about half way. There's a talk on grapes and wine, etc while you are tasting the wine.

I forget what it cost but it was a nice diversion. It took place sometime in the afternoon during a sea day. They may make you walk the plank if you don't taste the red wine though :p

There are two tastings on the Grand, both are on sea days. Tasting #1 has 5 or 6 wines and a desert liquor. The charge is $7.00. You can "swirl and spit" if you want, but the tasting is too enjoy the wine. I have been to several tastings and have never seen someone "schnockered". Wine tasting #2 is a "high end" tasting with most bottles starting at $50+. The charge is $25.00 pp and is limited seating. Cheese, finger snacks etc are served. The tastings are setup to sell the wine offered on the ship. I paid $199.00 for six bottles of "high end" wine on the Grand which was a good value. By the way, you are missing out if you do not try red wine. But, each to his own...enjoy

DH and/or I almost always attend at least one of the wine tastings on board. The first one is held early in the cruise, prior to first formal night. It was $10/person on the Caribbean Princess in January.

Later in the cruise, there is ususally a by-invitation-only Maitre d's special wine tasting that was $25/person. This session features pricier wines and some nice hors d'ouerves. If you're interested, ask your waiter to have an invitation delivered to your stateroom.

Bon Voyage!

Chris

Hi!

I attended both tastings on the Coral Princess in December. As another poster mentioned, it is more of an introduction with some reds, some whites, and a dessert wine. You got to keep the dessert wine glass (actually very attractive) and also received a $5.00 discount on a bottle of wine -either in the dining room or delivered to your cabin. The value thus was more than the $7.00 or so they charged. The dessert wine, Essensia, was excellent and we bought 2 bottles.

The second tasting was the Maitre'd Wine Club Tasting and was much more upscale and held in Sabatini's. The cost was $25.00 and started with a glass of domestic champagne. It then moved to a glass of good French Champagne and then into more reds (including Opus One) and whites. Cheese, crackers, fruit, and other things like bread sticks wrapped in procuitto accompanied the tasting. Was there a sales pitch for their premier wine collections (at a pretty good discount)? Yes, but it was not a high-pressure scenario.

I also am not much for reds (except the ones I can't afford), but I thought both sessions were well worth the money.

it's the swirl it around and spit type--designed to get you to buy some with dinner.

I've been to several of the tastings (both the $7 and $25 varieties). I've never seen anyone spit the wine out.

I've been to several of the tastings (both the $7 and $25 varieties). I've never seen anyone spit the wine out.

Ditto, we saw no spitting.

You usually get about 1/4 of a glass of each type. If you didn't drink the reds, probably nobody would notice. Or if they did notice, they'd probably just assume you are a person of distinguished taste and did not enjoy those particular vintages. :D Still, it's fun to just have a little sip, and if you don't like it, you can always just go back to sipping the whites.

On Diamond last week. $7.50 for 2 whites, 2 reds, 1 red desert wine, 1 water and crackers and nibbles of cheese. You then could use your ticket to get $5 off a bottle of wine in the dining room. $25 for the high end tasting later in the week.

No spitting.

The movie sideways is my favorite movie of this year!! I saw it in the theatre and rented it last week.

There is no spittting at these tastings, I have been to both. I absolutely love red wines now that I have acquired the taste for it. A wine tasting or a trip to Napa and most people would agree once you like the reds nothing compares. But of course they are not for everyone, but worth giving a few trys.

It is not a high pressure sell to buy wine at all. More pressure to buy the tasting tickets :) It is is worth it to save $5.00 back on a bottle.

I wonder now that I am Elite and the first one is free do we still get the $5.00 discount. Not a bad deal if so.

Archived