Purchasing alcohol at the embarkation port

I am aware RC does not allow alcohol onboard and will confiscate any alcohol and return it after the cruise.

If I want to purchase alcohol to bring home while in Rome before we start our cruise (some nice Italian wine seems like a good gift to bring home to friends!) do I just leave it in my luggage and alert them I have it or do I keep it in a carry-on and hand it over? Or would you guys recommend not purchasing anything prior to the cruise? I have never bought alcohol prior to a cruise so not sure what to do.

I am aware RC does not allow alcohol onboard and will confiscate any alcohol and return it after the cruise.

If I want to purchase alcohol to bring home while in Rome before we start our cruise (some nice Italian wine seems like a good gift to bring home to friends!) do I just leave it in my luggage and alert them I have it or do I keep it in a carry-on and hand it over? Or would you guys recommend not purchasing anything prior to the cruise? I have never bought alcohol prior to a cruise so not sure what to do.

RCI isn't going to let you have bottle of alcohol regardless of where you pack it, so packing it in luggage doesn't matter. Sounds like its more trouble than its worth, lugging a bottle or two of italian wine around to give friends when you get home. I don't like to fly with packed wine unless I'm sure its unbreakable and there isn't much of that. Having been to Italy often, my fiends and family always ask me to bring back a nice hunk of parmesian or olives. Also whenever I found a wine I like there, i usually can get it here at home after a search.

Keep the wine in your carry-on and as soon as you pass through the X-ray equipment, you'll see a person waiting on the other side ready to take your wine from you. He or she will label it with your name and cabin number and store it for you until the cruise is over. I agree with you that it is a nice present to bring back as there are indeed some Italian wines that are hard to find in the US, or are very expensive here. What I wouldn't give for a good Vin Santo right now or a Martini and Rossi rosato! Those were well worth the trouble of hand carrying over. :D

Archived