Waterproof camera

spoiledkraut

Wow! Awesome pictures! Thanks for sharing!

No problem.

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies on this post- I am also thinking of purchasing the Canon Powershot D10. I had a few Qs, hoping some of you can help!

1. I know mitsugirly and others have raved about the Canon D10- does it really take good pictures between land, water, and nighttime? We have another Canon Powershot P&S (love it) and dSLR, but I'd hate to lug around all 3 cameras everywhere.

Yep, I love it so much I'm thinking about buying another for the hubby so we don't fight over it. If you want to see what it does between land, water and nighttime, you can look at my reviews with the links I posted and see what it does. :)

2. When you do take nighttime shots, do you need to adjust the settings at all? I am NOT an awesome photographer, and even on my beloved Canon P&S camera, I find nighttime pictures difficult to take- usually blurry and not crisp

Yes, there is a nighttime setting, one with portraits for night, and there is a long exposure as well that you can use with the fireworks settings (and I used that on my fireworks pictures link posted).

If I can take the Canon D10 (and not bring the other 2), that'd be a sure win for me to buy this camera!

That's exactly what we did this time around. I bought mine 2 years ago and took both camera because I wasn't sure how it was going to turn out and didn't want to miss the shot. But this previous cruise, I opted to only take the point and shoot and all the pictures taken in my Cozumel, Roatan, Belize and Costa Maya (plus the ship photos) were all taken with the Canon D10. :D

Thanks so much for all the helpful replies on this post- I am also thinking of purchasing the Canon Powershot D10. I had a few Qs, hoping some of you can help!

1. I know mitsugirly and others have raved about the Canon D10- does it really take good pictures between land, water, and nighttime? We have another Canon Powershot P&S (love it) and dSLR, but I'd hate to lug around all 3 cameras everywhere.

2. When you do take nighttime shots, do you need to adjust the settings at all? I am NOT an awesome photographer, and even on my beloved Canon P&S camera, I find nighttime pictures difficult to take- usually blurry and not crisp

If I can take the Canon D10 (and not bring the other 2), that'd be a sure win for me to buy this camera!

Sorry, but I can't answer your question regarding night shots. I have a travel camera (a Canon A590IS) and a DSLR (a Nikon D5100). The A590 is okay at night and the Nikon D5100 is great at night. Since the D10 is not image stabilized, it would be very difficult to hand hold at night and get a good picture. Especially since it does not have a view finder (you use the LCD screen) meaning you have to hold the camera out in front of you to frame the picture.

And yes, I take all three cameras with me on the ship. However, when I leave the ship for a tour, I only take one.

Sorry, but I can't answer your question regarding night shots. I have a travel camera (a Canon A590IS) and a DSLR (a Nikon D5100). The A590 is okay at night and the Nikon D5100 is great at night. Since the D10 is not image stabilized, it would be very difficult to hand hold at night and get a good picture. Especially since it does not have a view finder (you use the LCD screen) meaning you have to hold the camera out in front of you to frame the picture.

And yes, I take all three cameras with me on the ship. However, when I leave the ship for a tour, I only take one.

Mitsu, Cuizer- thanks for both of your help! What do you mean that the D10 is not "image stabilized"? When I am looking at the camera on Amazon, it says that it has "image stabilized zoom"... I hope these Qs aren't stupid....

Mitsu, Cuizer- thanks for both of your help! What do you mean that the D10 is not "image stabilized"? When I am looking at the camera on Amazon, it says that it has "image stabilized zoom"... I hope these Qs aren't stupid....

I'm not sure what "image stabilized zoom" is. "Image Stabilization" (Canon) "Vibration Reduction" (Nikon) are usually referred to as "Optical Image Stabilization". I'm not sure that "image stabilized zoom" has a recognized meaning. Here are some links to these methods of reducing shake when taking a picture ...

http://www.kenrockwell.com/tech/image-stabilization.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image_stabilization

http://cameras.about.com/od/technologies/a/image_stabiliza.htm

For example, I have a Canon A620 (not IS) and a Canon A590IS (which is IS). My Canon D10 does not have the IS designation.

Here is a link to Canon's website regarding the D10 ...

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/digital_cameras/powershot_d10

I note in the overview it does say that the D10 has an optical image stabilizer.

Now let look at Canon's website for the A590IS ...

http://usa.canon.com/cusa/support/consumer/digital_cameras/powershot_a_series/powershot_a590_is

It also uses the same term.

I've read my Canon D10 manual (I still have it and the original box) and I don't recall anything about image stabilization. However, reviewing the fine print on the box I do find the term "optical image stabilizer".

Bottom line: don't post things from memory - do the research first. :o

I actually bought a waterproof camera which promted me to go on a cruise :-D

It was a Pentax W60. It is very small and slim, looked cool (in blue) and took great pictures. Im at work right now, but when I get home, Ill put up some snorkling photos I took.

I actually bought a waterproof camera which promted me to go on a cruise :-D

It was a Pentax W60. It is very small and slim, looked cool (in blue) and took great pictures. Im at work right now, but when I get home, Ill put up some snorkling photos I took.

I had a Pentex W30. I gave it away when I upgraded to the Canon D10.

Archived