Food to try, food to avoid

Our small son eats like a bird but loves the gourmet burger. It's huge. I feel so wrong leaving most of that burger on his plate but I have my own meal. Children see this extensive menu and can be immediately overwhelmed. Our boys have the courses down...for a starter they order Caesar salads and spring rolls. That's practically a meal for a child!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Forums mobile app

I think that cruising is a great way for kids to broaden their horizons when it comes to trying new foods. There is no pressure for them to eat it because you can always get a back up "favorite" in case they really don't like what they order. My son was extremely picky when he was little and the first two cruises that we went on was basically, chicken, mac and cheese and chocolate chip cookies, he wouldn't even eat the peanut butter and jelly pockets on the Disney ship! . Gradually as time went on and we went on more cruises he expanded his repertoire until on the last cruise he tried something new every night. Of course, most depends on age of the child, but it's nice when they find something that they like that they wouldn't normally try!

Let me ramble a bit....

Don't bother with the eggs benedict in the MDR for breakfast. It was virtually inedible and I am not a picky eater. It had obviously been sitting around for some time under a heat lamp. That is a dish that has to be made fresh. I ate it anyway and didn't complain.

!

Next time ask for the Eggs Benedict with the sauce on the side. I learned that trick a few years ago. That way it is fresh and has not sat on the warmer. I love eggs Benedict and sauce on the side is very good.

Two people can try the same dish and one hate it and the other love it. Food is so subjective you should try it all and decide for yourself.

Here are some pictures with the menus that may help you decide:

http://www.zydecocruiser.net/menus/new_11_11/index.htm

Those pictures made me hungry!!!! I'll try anything new to eat, and with those pictures I not have to guess how its gonna look now. Thanks Sarge for posting the link from Zydeco!!!

I may try most of the dija ever stuff, but that might be in addition to another appetizer. Desserts, I'm curious about bitter and blanc, cherries jubilee and creme brulee. Is there a regular non-diet cheesecake. Dinner- I'm not a huge lamb fan so it would have to be really good. I do like seafood, but not smoked, so not sure about the seafood platter thing. I also don't see the kids menu here. We are all so different, I am the most adventurous where everyone else is picky. DS could live on cereal and toast, DD may be difficult, but she'll eat chicken if it's good and DH doesn't like seafood, creamy sauces, cheese so he'll be limited but still have some choice. I may feed the kids (9 and 12, so not exactly small) early and just go to the MDR with DH if it becomes difficult. I also think the kids are interested in trying room service, so that's another option.

Bitter and blanc is a bread pudding. Cherries jubilee is nothing like it used to be when flamed--basically some cooked cherries with vanilla ice creame. Creme brulee is a flan type dessert with the top carmelized sugar. Very good.

Lamb they serve no is a shank, nasty. One night and some days Lido has a leg of lamb that is hit or miss.

If you're not sure, get 2 things, hopefully you'll like one of them.

Bitter n Blanc is one of my favorite desserts. The cherries jubilee was ok..not terrible but nothing spectacular either as I recall.

Actually, the best dessert type thing I had onboard I don't even know what the heck it was. We took the Behind The Magic tour and when we got back to our cabin, there was a tray of desserts on our bed which included chocolate dipped strawberries, chocolate chip cookies and these sweet muffin things that were fabulous.

On our last cruise my husband ordered Alligator Fritters.....I was unsure about them so I did not order them, actually our group of 7 others did not order them as well. When he recieved his order, we all tried a piece and they were excellent, so we all ordered them. This is something I would have never tried but was so happy I did. We leave on 1/30/12 for a "quick" 5 day cruise and I am hoping that they offer the fritters again.... :)

They've been on both my 5 days cruise...they are delicious!