Formal nights on the Island Princess to Alaska

TallinnGirl

What is the attire for formal nights on a Princess sailing to Alaska?

Because of the uncertainty in weather and different types of clothing and gear needed for an Alaska cruise, I do not have space for gowns. Do people tend to wear tuxes and gowns on this type of cruise or is it more casual?

Of all our cruises, Alaska was the least formal. I agree that part of the reason is just practical packing: all those heavier clothes take up room!! Plus, most trips are only seven days, but many will travel inland on one of the extensions (where "formal" means flannel shirts) or will spend some time in Vancouver/Anchorage before the cruise. Can't speak for Vancouver, but Anchorage means jeans and a wooly sweater.

The interesting issue is that on other trips, someone too casual would bring some comments from other table guests, not so during Alaska. I would suggest a jacket/tie for men, not necessarily black. Several men had nice sweaters or just nice shirts/ties, no jacket. The sweater or jacket seemed most appropriate, but whatever "nice-ish" will be fine.

I saw no gowns on the ladies, lots of black satin pants or pantsuits, some dinner dresses, but lots more "Sunday go to meeting" looks. Practical and fine by me.

Yes, people do dress up for formal nite .

Men usually wear a suite with shirt and tie.

Women usually wear nice dresses and tops.

Princess has a champagne fountain on the first formal night.

Weather in Vancouver can be very variable. Some summers it's suny and warm for up yo 60 days in the summer.

People usually wear light summer wear in the summer in Vancouver.

There were many women in gowns on our Alaska cruise on the Island. I remember one that really caught my eye too. I just had to compliment her. Not everyone was dressed formally, but there was a large enough group that did. The trick is to pack smartly. Then, you can fit everything in.;)

I have been pondering on this for about 6 months and decided that it will be black pants and sparkly top for me and DH will wear black slacks, white shirt, tie and a smart black cardigan. If I can fit in DH's black jacket and my formal in after all the essentials then they will go too--my priority is to have enough layers to enjoy Alaska and whatever the weather will bring.

I have been pondering on this for about 6 months and decided that it will be black pants and sparkly top for me and DH will wear black slacks, white shirt, tie and a smart black cardigan. If I can fit in DH's black jacket and my formal in after all the essentials then they will go too--my priority is to have enough layers to enjoy Alaska and whatever the weather will bring.

This is smart, and you will always be dressed within the guidelines without too much luggage. Enjoy the cruise!!

• 3 weeks later...
Of all our cruises, Alaska was the least formal. I agree that part of the reason is just practical packing: all those heavier clothes take up room!! Plus, most trips are only seven days, but many will travel inland on one of the extensions (where "formal" means flannel shirts) or will spend some time in Vancouver/Anchorage before the cruise. Can't speak for Vancouver, but Anchorage means jeans and a wooly sweater.

The interesting issue is that on other trips, someone too casual would bring some comments from other table guests, not so during Alaska. I would suggest a jacket/tie for men, not necessarily black. Several men had nice sweaters or just nice shirts/ties, no jacket. The sweater or jacket seemed most appropriate, but whatever "nice-ish" will be fine.

I saw no gowns on the ladies, lots of black satin pants or pantsuits, some dinner dresses, but lots more "Sunday go to meeting" looks. Practical and fine by me.

This is what I found on my Alaska cruise. I wonder if the time you go makes a difference.

Seven day cruises on Princess have 2 formal nights, pretty much wherever you go. Formal nights in Alaska are mostly simple business suites for men and a variety of professional wear for women. You see very few sparkley and long gowns and tuxes. If you want percentages, I would say that no more than 20% of the men have tuxes and about the same for women who don cocktail dresses or evening gowns. To be honest most folks that participate in the formal nights in Alaska look like they are attending a training seminar, meeting with the CEO or going to a funeral.

I did pack a Tux for our Alaska cruise, but we drove to the port, so we had plenty of ability to carry a lot of luggage. However, on our next cruise I'm just packing one of my business suits and calling it a day. We have to fly to the port and renting a tux and packing it just seems like a huge pain. Although I may not even pack a suit and just take advantage of tux rental on board. I rented my tux locally and carried it on board because I couldn't stand the lack fo styles available to me for our sailing to Alaska. If the selection is better on the next cruise I'll consider renting on board again.

Archived