whales trip other than Juneau?

joanna111

From reading these boards I think I'm going to try to do the all day Adventure Bound trip to Tracy Fjord out of Juneau. But my friend and traveling companion is looking forward to whales more than anything else -- and I keep reading that Juneau is the place to go on a whale-watching trip. Anything else that would be as good whale-wise? I know a lot of it is just luck.

We'll be on the coral princess voyage of the glaciers with stops in Ketchikan and Skagway and ending in Whittier.

Thanks.

Juneau and Hoonah are 100% sightings for humpbacks. You "May" see whales on the transit of your Tracy Arm tour, but, the sightings would be brief.

It is possible, to see them from your cruiseship IF you spend a great deal of time invested forward viewing, with a good pair of wide angle binoculars. You "may" see orcas, if you spend considerable time, again forward viewing nothern Vancouver Island.

You likely will see orcas if you go out on a Kenai Fjords boat tour, of at least 6 hours on the water.

Alternative- would be to just split up and each go on your own priority touring. I do this ALL the time, and never compromise if there is some priority touring I want to do.

Archived