Is the Penthouse deck loud?

scarlett81

?

Noticing that the price of suites and CC rooms is less on the Penthouse deck (for some sailings). Is that bc its louder? or just chance?

It is because it is not as high up. Usually, cabins higher up are more pricey and desirable.

The average passenger believes that higher is better...and this was true on the old steamships for a variety of reasons. Today, the knowledgeable passenger knows that it is far more important to know what is above, below and next to your cabin....and that higher also means more movement. There is nothing inherently better about being on deck 9 vs deck 8, etc....in fact on the new solsticized M class ships, perhaps the least desireable veranda/balcony cabins are actually aqua class because of their location and they are on the highest passenger room decks.

I can think of nowhere I've every sailed or docked where being higher gave me a better view, other than the fact that if you are higher, you can see slightly farther on the horizon due to the curvature of the earth. My eyes are not that good...neither are yours :)

You don't say which ship you are looking at, so this is a general answer.

I've just swapped a Solstice suite booking from Deck 11 (Penthouse) to Deck 10 because of the possible noise issue. Both were same grade, same price. I might have been unduly alarmed, but the excellent "Solstice Cabin Spreadsheet" available on the forum has several comments about noise from the open deck above, especially early in the morning and late evening. Furniture being dragged around, poolside music and so on.

If the comments are correct, they can only apply to the 2/3 of cabins which are at the front, because the other 1/3 at the stern have cabins, not open deck above them.

As for height, give me as high as possible every time. The ususal logic is that if you suffer from seaseakness the best place to be is as low and central as possible. My own experience is that height makes very little difference, but being central is good, a cabin near the stern makes heavy seas much more noticable.

We were in AQ on the Eclipse.....I heard some deck chairs early in the morning at times, but then I also heard doors slamming in the hallway and luggage being picked up the last night. I'm a light sleeper....my hubby who is asleep before he hits the pillow never moved. :p

Archived