Credit/debit cards

Can anyone help re using a credit or debit card on trip to New Zealand. I have read that they put a hold on debit cards. Any advice would be greatly appreciated by this first time cruiser.

I was advised by other cc's to use credit card but to mark documents "do not convert" if ship uses other than AUD. That is, use banks currency conversion rates not that of ship. I was recommended a "28 Degree" credit card by GE Money which does not charge currency converion rates and annual fees. My plan is to pay the bill in cash if poss. Hope this helps.

I'm believe the three Princess ships which have cruises originating in Australia charge for everything in AUD for the cruises around NZ and the pacific islands.

Yes - the Sun, Dawn and Sea P. have AUD on board, Australian power sockets, Australian wines :), vegemite, but they still have American cremated bacon :(.

Princess cruises, Dawn Princess

I believe they put a hold on an amount 'per day' - what they estimate you will spend. I don't know how they can do that because from what I hear, different people's on-board bills vary terribly. If you don't have an objection to a credit card, maybe that might be the best option. We often take cash and put money onto our account at the Purser's Desk (reception desk) and keep the balance in our cabin safe. Even though we have our credit card registered when we check in, we prefer to pay cash as we go so we don't have a big bill at the end.

Archived