First Time Cruiser with 3 Kids, 10, 9 and 22 months

ACUBE

Hello Everyone,

I am new to this forum and we are a family of 5, My self My Dear wife and Three Kids, My eldest Boy is 10 1/2, My daughter is 9 and the youngest son is 22 months.

We are thinking of going on a cruise for the first time in Feb2012 which will be next month. we will be in Orlando for Disney from 1st feb onwards so I was thinking we could catch a cruise from florida. I have quite a few questions and will appreciate your help in finding answers for all of them.

1) Which Cruiseline is the Best for us ? ( Price wise and Kids wise )

2) What kind of cabin/suite, what will be better getting 2 cabins or 1 suite for 5 of us.

3) What to expect and what not to Expect.

4) Excursions ? how to get the best out of them

5) Food/ Cuisine availablility ? My wife is a Vegetarian but she is also allergic to Mushrooms and Cheese.

6) Drink Packages ? I love my Beer and Wife is a Tea, Latte and Cappucino lover.

7) From Orlando which will be the best Port of embarkation ? and transportation to the Port from Hotel and Return.

8) How to book , where to book to get the best prices ?:o

Will add more questions as I zero on the Cruiseline and the date.

Thanks For reading and Answering to my Thread.

Acube

Toronto, Canada.

I will answer a few of your questions. You are doing Disney and Orlando so your closest port would be Port Canaveral which is about 45 minutes away from MCO. Royal Caribbean, Disney, Carnival and Norwegian cruiselines all sail from that port. I don't think I missed any.

Ship cabins are on the smaller side so a suite or 2 connecting cabins will be your best bet. Finding something to fit a family of 5 less than a month out could be difficult though.

I wouldn't worry about vegetarian or your wife's allergies, all the cruiselines deal with these issues on a regular basis. Once you chose a cruiseline, you can contact their special needs department and they will help you.

I would start a lot of reading and see if you have a local travel agent who might be able to help you out. Just make sure you ask specific question about kid programs for your youndest because not all cruiselines have programs for that young age.

Thought I'd piggyback a little on the last poster.

You may want to look at all the cruiselines and look at their children's programs and ages.

I've cruised most recently the last couple years with NCL, but have been very happy with the other lines also. NCL just announced they are changing their kids program and ages in February, but haven't announced specific dates or what the exact changes are. I know they have in the past been one of the few lines that actually allowed 2 y/o's to be dropped off for the program, but don't know how the new program will address that. I'm just pointing this out as it was all just announced an has been discussed a bit on the NCL board. They did say something about a program for 6mos to 2 y/o. Who knows, but maybe a phone call could help

Thanks for your Response, I have zeroed in on Carnival Cruiselines and The Ships that I have selected are either DREAM or ECSTACY. Dream is 7 Nights for $599.00 Each and Ecstacy is 5 Nights for $239.

Can you please advice on to which ship is better ?

Thanks

Thanks for your Response, I have zeroed in on Carnival Cruiselines and The Ships that I have selected are either DREAM or ECSTACY. Dream is 7 Nights for $599.00 Each and Ecstacy is 5 Nights for $239.

Thanks

For the 5 of you with the ages of your children you need 2 connecting cabins. These will be very difficult to book at the last minute. We always get connecting cabins and I book a year in advance. The trouble with last minute booking is that you will have to take what ever cabins are left over and you might not even be able to get 2 cabins next to each other.

Be aware that cabins are very small and 5 of you in one cabin is going to very crowded. Get yourself a travel agent who can help you find what you need.

Thanks

See if either has connecting rooms. Call Carnival directly unless you have a relations ship with a different travel agent - they can probably access their system quicker & find out how to fit your family of 5 best...

If the 22 mo is under X-inches, he/she can be in a crib that Carnival will provide, then the others could possibly be in top bunks fitting all 5 into one albeit tightly. (Otherwise, you have to book your wife in room A & you in room B - where you actually sleep is up to you.)

We had a crib in one of those rooms with bunks in the ceiling - approximating the used floor space & it is doable...

the 22 mo is too young for the camp program...

Carnival has coin-op laundromats...

Archived