Eagle preserve wildlife rafting in Skagway?

joanna111

We did this a couple of years ago in September and loved it! There were lots of eagles, but not huge numbers and the float trip was easy, relaxing. Many photo opportunities. Would definitely recommend it.

B. Cole

This is not in Skagway, it is out of Haines. The cruise season ends before the numbers of eagles swell with the late salmon run. IF you are doing this for "eagles', IF you make an effort to search for them in every port and during close by sailing, you will see just as many.

The Chilkoot River is scenic, but so is the Taiya out of Skagway. Do not expect other wildlife.

I did this with my daughters and it is one of the most memorable excursions ever. We saw plenty of eagles, and the float trip had awe inspiring scenery. There are large sections when you see no one but the people on your raft with no sign of humans, no telephone poles, houses, etc.

You see one Native village with a mix of traditional and modern houses, but also totems and the center lodge. We saw bear paw prints when we got near the shore. I also love seeing Haines and it has become one of my favorite stops.

This is not in Skagway, it is out of Haines. The cruise season ends before the numbers of eagles swell with the late salmon run. IF you are doing this for "eagles', IF you make an effort to search for them in every port and during close by sailing, you will see just as many.

The Chilkoot River is scenic, but so is the Taiya out of Skagway. Do not expect other wildlife.

The tour company picks you up at the dock in Skagway and you ferry to Haines. That also is a pleasant part of the trip. We saw many more eagles in the reserve than we did in each port, but of course, our trip was done in September.

B. Cole

Archived