Panama canal Train - Worth it?

ExDean

The equipment is some vintage US rolling stock which was put into service a few years ago when Kansas Southern leased and rebuilt the railroad. The main purpose was to transport containers but found out the tourist business was an attractive sideline as well. They completely rebuilt the road to include re-gauging it from a broad gauge to standard gauge, replace wooden ties with concrete ones, as well as equipment upgrades... looks like they did a first class job.

Now on to what you probably really want to know.... This excursion is great for a train buff, some interesting scenery... now the but! If you are going on this excursion to get a good view of the Canal, then this in not the excursion for you. While you do see the Canal up close in a couple of places, it really just skirts the Canal. You may occasionally see a ship in the distance, but there is not a lot up close Canal viewing.

The bus ride to or from the train should give you a good look at the countryside. Does the tour stop at any of the locks in addition to the train ride, if so, that would be a plus. Yes, they are very "proud" of their excursions and it shows;)! It's not just Princess, all the cruise lines at this stop are pricey.

We took the excursion with Princess from Panama City. I am a train buff so I loved it. When we got to Colon we boarded a bus and were taken to the Gatun Locks. I found it interesting, watching the canal work from shore side. But, then again, I'm also a canal buff :)

Anyone have experience/info on the train excursions - triain to Colon return by bus? Equipment seems excellent but the Princess tour price is a tad steep. Pro and con comments appreciated. Thanks.

My wife and I took the tour out of Colon to Panama City. It was a great ride, and our tour guide was able to give us a lot of history. We also got a treat in that we were able to ride the train back instead of the bus. Much safer than driving on the roads:rolleyes:.

As an added "bonus", you'll pass by the prison where Noriega is now being held. Be sure and wave.

Have fun!:D

• 2 weeks later...
Why were you able to take the train back instead of the bus? Is this available on all excursions?

We only got to take the train back instead of the bus because we were the only ship docked in Colon or Panama City that day. They needed the train back in Colon for its regular 5:15 run from Colon to Panama City anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

We are sailing on Celebrity Equinox and are also wondering about the best way to see the Canal. There are observation excursions, ferry excursions and the train excursions. Has anyone taken any of the observation excursions? Are these worth the time and do you really see anything?

Zeke and George

Welcome to Cruise Critic! Since you are on Celebrity, I'm going guess you are just calling at Colon and no transit involved on this cruise. The best way to see the Canal would be on the ferry excursion. What this excursion will do is take you on a partial transit of the Canal, locking through the two Pacific Locks and passing through Gaillard Cut. If you are not making a full transit, then this is the part of the Canal to see.

While the train is a good excursion, it is not the one to choose for seeing the Canal. Most of the Canal that you will see from the train is at a distance as the train's route for the most part is on the perimeter of the Canal.

Z&G - The best way to see the Canal is from the deck of your ship while you are in the locks and making the transit. If you are on a ship just making a port call in Colon, then the best way would be to take the ferry excursion which will allow you to experience the Canal, albeit from a small boat. The Panama Railway gives you glimpses of the Canal, but that's about it. The observation platforms at both ends . . . well, if that's the best you can do OK, but . . . either doing a complete or partial transit is best, but if you're only doing a port call, I'd suggest the ferry.

Regards, Richard

We did this in January. I would say choose another tour. It was comfortable, and our guide gave us lots of info on Panama the entire ride, but I wouldn't recommend it to anyone unless they are train buffs.

We were in the executive cars. The folks in the dome car spent about $50 pp more, and said the air conditioning did not work well. They couldn't see anymore than we could and I think they were really disappointed in the ride.

Archived