Just returned from Imagination 4-day. Questions?

spacepotatoes

DH and I just returned on Friday night from the Imagination 4-day Western itinerary. I'm planning to do a full review but it'll take a week or so to get everything together. In the meantime, if you have any questions that I may be able to answer, fire away :)

A couple of quick notes:

• This was our first cruise with Carnival. Our previous ones have been with NCL. Like many others have said, more similarities than differences. We give the advantage to NCL, though, only because we are Freestyle dining fans and found that we really missed it even with YTD on Carnival. NCL just does it better.
  • We had a port hole cabin and it was our favourite stateroom so far. Very comfortable and much better layout compared to the insides we've had on NCL.
  • We had some rough seas and wind going from Key West to Cozumel, but otherwise smooth sailing.
  • Enjoyed all of our meals, no complaints about food.
  • Entertainment was good, if a bit cheesy sometimes.
  • Behind the Fun tour is worth every penny, we loved it!
  • In Key West, we just walked around on our own. Made a visit to the Southernmost Point and took a tour of the Hemingway House. Would have liked to have more time here.
  • In Cozumel, we went to Mr. Sancho's and did their all-inclusive. Loved it!
  • We did a post-cruise excursion to South Beach. The excursion was great but the experience at MIA was not so much. Don't do this unless your flight is much later than the 2:30 PM time Carnival states in their description.

Overall, we had a good time. We would have liked some better weather, but nothing to be done about that! Again, feel free to ask anything you want to know about this cruise!

I want to take a girls cruise with my new SIL in 2013. We want to sail the Imagination with this same itinerary. My SIL is wheelchair bound. How difficult would it be to get off the ship and navigate around in Key West? We would probably just want to sight see, shop and perhaps do the Conch-train or the Trolley if they are wheelchair friendly. I have been to Cozumel so that seems ok but not sure about KW. Thanks. :)

Did you dock at 1:00 in Cozumel? How much time did you get to spend at Mr. Sanchos? My Daughter is interested in Mr Sanchos but i didn't think she could get a day pass after 1:00pm, did you need reservations?

I'll be waiting on pins and needles for your review. I'll be sailing next month on the Imagination for a nice "get-a-way" from our cold weather.

Tell me more about Mr. Sanchos!

Mr. Sancho's is great! It wasn't our original plan but because the water was still somewhat rough, I didn't feel confident enough to snorkel. We thought Nachi would be full by then (there were already 4 other ships in port) so we settled on Mr. Sancho's. We didn't regret it! It was a $16 cab ride (one way) from Punta Langosta. They've got beach chairs, hammocks, bars, a full menu, pool, water sports, massages, souvenir shops, you name it.

You can just show up and pay only for what you actually use or you can do the all-inclusive. It's $50 pp and for that, you get full access to their facilities, all you can eat off the menu, all you can drink, water sports equipment, and your own area to hang out in for the day. They do actually keep an eye on people and make sure that no one who hasn't paid for it wanders into the all-inclusive area, which was nice because it made that side much calmer during the peak time than the a la carte side.

We didn't actually eat or drink $100 worth but we still felt it was worth the money for the facilities, the service (you never have to get up for anything, they bring it all to you), and the calmer area.

Hope you have a smoother ride on your sailing than we did! :)

I want to take a girls cruise with my new SIL in 2013. We want to sail the Imagination with this same itinerary. My SIL is wheelchair bound. How difficult would it be to get off the ship and navigate around in Key West? We would probably just want to sight see, shop and perhaps do the Conch-train or the Trolley if they are wheelchair friendly. I have been to Cozumel so that seems ok but not sure about KW. Thanks. :)

Honestly, I'm not sure since I wasn't really looking out for accessibility. We only used the Conch Train for the shuttle ride from the ship to Mallory Square, since we were docked at the Navy Yard. It didn't seem to be wheelchair friendly, though I'm sure Carnival would work that out if needed. I don't know what they do for the actual tours.

Key West itself is easy to navigate, but the streets can get crowded and are somewhat narrow. I could see that potentially being an issue. You might want to check the ports of call boards to hear from people with more experience to get a more definitive answer. I'm sorry I can't be of more help!

Did you dock at 1:00 in Cozumel? How much time did you get to spend at Mr. Sanchos? My Daughter is interested in Mr Sanchos but i didn't think she could get a day pass after 1:00pm, did you need reservations?

We did dock at 1:00 but the nice thing about this port is that 1 hour time difference - it was actually noon in Cozumel when we got there :D We went straight to Mr. Sancho's and stayed until closing time. They're open until 5:30, so we got in a good few hours.

We didn't make reservations because we weren't originally planning to go there, but it worked out fine. They still had room on the all-inclusive side. They were still selling the passes for a while after we got there so I'm not sure when the cut-off is, if they have one, or if they just keep going until that side fills up.

Imagination is a very economical cruise, but you get what you pay for, if you keep an open mind you will be fine. We prefer the Royal's Majesty of the Seas, with stops in Key West, Coco Cay and Nassau. You can rent an open air electric car in Key West. They hold either 2-4-6 passengers. There will be room in the back for a wheelchair, and they are equipped with seat belts. This is a great way to see the southern most point, Hemmingway house, (separate from the museum) cemetery, yes the cemetary and the marina. There is no parking on Duval St. so you have to park on a side street. When my mom travels with us to Key West we always rent a cart. There is a really good oyster bar at the marina. The Imagination docks down by the military base and they shuttle you into town, whereas Majesty docks right into town. Don't really like the conch fritters, they are mostly breading and no conch, but sometimes you just need to try the local food. Also, keylime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate is good, but buy one and share, very rich. The other must stop is Sloppy Joe's frequently visited by Hemmingway back in the day.

Thank you to the above 2 posters for the great info. I also did some research and found out that some of the KW Trolleys have a wheelchair lift. You just need to let the Trolley driver know and if they are not driving a trolley that has the life, they will let you know which one does so you can wait for it to come around. You do have to be at one of two certain boarding spots for this to be done but at least she will be able to take a nice tour of KW. In addition to some shopping and getting KeyLime cheesecake on a stick, that is about all we would want to do in KW.

We have only sailed with Carnival but I will check out some info on Royal's MOS.

Imagination is a very economical cruise, but you get what you pay for, if you keep an open mind you will be fine. We prefer the Royal's Majesty of the Seas, with stops in Key West, Coco Cay and Nassau. You can rent an open air electric car in Key West. They hold either 2-4-6 passengers. There will be room in the back for a wheelchair, and they are equipped with seat belts. This is a great way to see the southern most point, Hemmingway house, (separate from the museum) cemetery, yes the cemetary and the marina. There is no parking on Duval St. so you have to park on a side street. When my mom travels with us to Key West we always rent a cart. There is a really good oyster bar at the marina. The Imagination docks down by the military base and they shuttle you into town, whereas Majesty docks right into town. Don't really like the conch fritters, they are mostly breading and no conch, but sometimes you just need to try the local food. Also, keylime pie on a stick dipped in chocolate is good, but buy one and share, very rich. The other must stop is Sloppy Joe's frequently visited by Hemmingway back in the day.

I'm not sure if your first sentence was just a general statement or a reference to something mentioned earlier...DH and I were very happy with what we got, no complaints about the quality of anything. Now that we've done both the NCL Sky and the Imagination, the Majesty is next on our hit list for a short cruise. Glad to hear it's a good one!

We didn't have time to stop by Sloppy Joe's but the guided tour of the Hemingway House was great, I'd recommend that. And Kermit's had excellent chocolate covered key lime pie on a stick. My DH really misses those :D

Does anyone know if the Imagination ALWAYS docks at the Naval Yard or just some certain cruises at certain times? Just wondering since this will actually be my third time in Key West but on three different ships. The other ships docked downtown (near the Customs House). Thanks! :)

Does anyone know if the Imagination ALWAYS docks at the Naval Yard or just some certain cruises at certain times? Just wondering since this will actually be my third time in Key West but on three different ships. The other ships docked downtown (near the Customs House). Thanks! :)

I've gotten the impression that it does always dock at the Navy Yard, at least this season. There's another ship that has been docking downtown, either the Ryndam or another Carnival ship, not sure which.

Just got back from this cruise myself so thought maybe I could help with some questions.

Yes, the Imagination does dock at the naval base but we took the Liberty to KW as well and that docks at Mallory Square...I'm thinking it has to do with the size of the ships???

As noted above, you do need to take a trolley from the base and then back again. I saw wheelchairs being loaded so should not be an issue with that. Getting around KW with a wheelchair should not be an issue as well...very laid back place and they do cater to the tourists.

There were several red, white, and blue cards on this trip and, although Carnival seems to go above and beyond with information, we saw many people who almost left the ship in KW without their picture ID (driver's license or passport). This and your sail and sign card is an absolute must in both KW and Cozumel...the trolley driver taking us back to the ship told us there is a new policy wherein if anyone does not have their ID, the military will detain the entire trolley. I know for sure that every time I have been there they ALWAYS check ID and sail and sign cards and SOMETIMES do a cursory check of purses and bags.

I did a review of this cruise I took a few years ago and posted a tip that I forgot this time around :o . If you head to lunch too late for the buffet or dining room (DR open for lunch ONLY on the at sea day), the hamburgers, hot dog grill, Mongolian grill (very popular so getting in line early is advised), pizza, and sandwich spot are all open BUT I discovered that where the hamburger and Mongolian grill converge (this is outside by the pool on the Lido deck), they offer veggies, mashed potatoes, sliced beef type items. Hubby wanted the Mongolian grill but the line was long so he told me to just get him a cheeseburger. AFTER I got this, I hit the middle of the line and saw all those goodies...did manage to fit some mashed potatoes on his plate but that's it.

I saw on another thread someone asked about late night eats. Admittedly I am a total early to bed girl and really used this one for resting so can't give details BUT the daily capers always mentioned "late night eats" in the Lido buffet. No idea what they offered but might be good to check out when up late. Also, there is always room service.

If anyone is interested in Platinum details, we received the Carnival logo coolers...I had read that had switched to back packs so was very happy we got the coolers...I can use them to pack my lunch for WORK...bleck :( cause come Monday, back to reality. We did not get stationery, white or otherwise which I never used so did not miss. 2 pins, free laundry (ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!! ), and I think that was it.

We stayed in a porthole cabin for the first time. It was fine for the 2 of us and I loved having that enormous "windowsill" for storage. HOWEVER, when we cruised on the Freedom, my husband, mother and I were supposed to share a porthole cabin...we got the upsell call and changed to a suite with an extended balcony which was wonderful. I can't imagine...no, I don't want to imagine how cramped we would have been if we had stayed in that porthole cabin. I would not advise that room for 3 adults but was more than fine for hubby and me.

For the first time, we did not go to any of the evening shows. The production shows we have seen before but did want to see the comedy shows. Just never worked out time wise as we were in severe relaxation mode. I will say that the comedy shows I have been to in the past are really very, very good...my advice would be to arrive early as I...well...did get into an argument with a fellow passenger one time as these shows get crowded. In my defense, I arrived very early so as to get a good seat...sat in a banquette...she and her hubby arrived late and she DEMANDED that I scootch back so she could plant her butt in front of me. Let's just say I did not take kindly to that suggestion or her attitude after I suggested she sit in back of me and let's also just say...get there early. :rolleyes:

My time dining...we love it and choose it every time. The down side is that some nights you will have a bit of a wait if you want your own table. For me, I'm on vacation so I could care less...got a drink and sat in a nearby bar...one night we got to look over the railing down to the lobby and watch some hip hop dancers interact with the passengers...not my kind of dancing or music but was fun to watch. Anytime you must wait is also a great time for people watching...one of my favorite things to do. I find it fascinating to see the wide range of the way people dress, etc. For instance, one night we were entering the dining room and these 2 young boys must have gotten buzzed for their table (yes, they sometimes hand out beepers) and they went by us...full regalia...tilted ball caps, long shorts hanging too low, in my head I could hear "Yeah, boooy!!", LOL...seeing them juxtaposed with the women in elegant dresses...c'mon...it's just too funny and way entertaining.

I saw tons of pics of those same boys when I went looking for our pics...it looked like they hit every photographer and had a ball posing. My judgmental side says why don't their parents have them dress better if only on a cruise but my deal with the modern times side says hey, if this is the worst they do then they are ahead of the game. My step son hit 28 yo last year and just now is showing maturity and finally grew out of what I so fondly call that "rap crap" so...I should know that it just takes time. :) Sorry...I totally digressed...my point is that you should take the time to have your pic taken...many times...last year we had one that turned out fabulous. It's well worth your time and you don't have to buy unless you like so why not??? We did not get a good one this year...hubby had a weird non-smile smile in all the formal pics we took...he only had a genuine smile with the pirate lady when we got off in KW...do I really want to know if that was due to the formal clothes or the pirate lady????????? :eek:

They have these new Kiosks set up on the Promenade where you can look at your sail and sign balance. I kind of vacillate between whether I think these things are great for convenience or are one more way to eliminate the need of human beings...I used it but I refuse to use the self-check out in the grocery store...most of the time.

Wow, my few tips just took up a lot of space! I will end by saying no matter what, you will have a great time I'm sure. :)

Thanks for sharing your experience! We were in a PT room as well, R20. Anywhere near you?

There wasn't much for late night food on Lido, just pizza and ice cream.

You didn't miss much by skipping the shows since they cancelled one of them anyway ;) We missed a lot of the comedy (though that one guy...not Eddie Capone, the other one...didn't seem like he was worth seeing anyway) but we did go to Shout and enjoyed it.

I was planning to mention the KW ID policy in my review. DH and I were crossing our fingers that no one on our trolley was missing any ID because we were FREEZING while were sitting there. Would not have been impressed if anyone forgot. I actually thought they did do a good job of reminding people. It was in the Fun Times, they announced it, and they kept mentioning it while we were walking towards the gangway. Anyone who still didn't get the hint from all that was just out to lunch.

We were on the 4 day right after you...9-13 in R6. Very nice weather in that we've mostly gone to KW and Cozumel in September when it's stifling but yes, we are having some cold weather this winter..I live in Florida and just realized my toes were going numb so put on some socks...you never know how it will be here this time of year.

I don't see how they could be more informative about the ID situation but sure enough, there were people turning around before getting off the ships to head back to their cabins to get what they needed. After being in line one day for debarkation and seeing a girl walking around asking people what those papers were they were carrying (Customs forms), I just assume that they are having too much fun to bother with the details. :D

Since they mentioned a specific time period on the late night snacks, I assumed it was something other than the 24 hr. pizza and ice cream...that was kinda cheating on their part. :p

Sorry to preempt your info on KW...I thought I'd list everything I could think of before I forgot it all, lol. I'm already looking into my next cruise to soften the blow of heading back to work and that will wipe out thoughts of everything else. :)

I totally missed that you were on this week's sailing rather than last week's. In that case, our one show being cancelled had no effect on you at all ;)

Sorry to preempt your info on KW...I thought I'd list everything I could think of before I forgot it all, lol. I'm already looking into my next cruise to soften the blow of heading back to work and that will wipe out thoughts of everything else. :)

No worries :) I'm sure it'll help the people heading out this weekend!

• 5 weeks later...

I did a review of this cruise I took a few years ago and posted a tip that I forgot this time around :o . If you head to lunch too late for the buffet or dining room (DR open for lunch ONLY on the at sea day),

Thats a little disconcerting. I am sailing it in June and HATE buffets. I was hoping to have lunch in the DR. Crap.

Looks like another cruise where I lose weight from food and not the gym.

Just curious how the walk was to Hemmingways house? My kids (8 and 10yo) want to see the six-toed cats, but I wasnt sure how far the walk is. Google maps shows about 3/4 of a mile, but you know how accurate that is. ;)

Also, do kids need photo id + s&s to get back on? Id hate to have to lug their passports along with...

Thanks!!

Jaimee

Just curious how the walk was to Hemmingways house? My kids (8 and 10yo) want to see the six-toed cats, but I wasnt sure how far the walk is. Google maps shows about 3/4 of a mile, but you know how accurate that is. ;)

Also, do kids need photo id + s&s to get back on? Id hate to have to lug their passports along with...

Thanks!!

Jaimee

When we were in Key West in 2009 we walked all the way past Hemmingways house and to the Southernmost point and back. My kids were 2, 6 and 9. We did push the youngest in a stroller. Now we did not go to HH as there were cats walking around hear there out on the sidewalks that had the 6 toes so we didn't pay to go in. We just took water bottle along and then stopped for Key Lime pie near the port on the way back from our walk. Didn't need passports, just cruise cards and our drivers license.

Archived