Working class couple - is a Cunard transatlantic cruise for us?

justjr7

"On the terrible accident on the Costa ship, I wonder if the folk who still through the muster drill, playing with the velcro on their life jackets will pay a bit more attention from now on

Weird that it happened on Friday 13th & so close to the 100th anniversary of Titanic"

I was thinking the same about the muster drill, where it has become so routine for many of us that it kind of feels like a joke.

It's important that we "over learn" things like emergency evacuation, CPR, fire drills, etc. Maybe then when a real emergency happens, we will be less likely to panic.

"On the terrible accident on the Costa ship, I wonder if the folk who still through the muster drill, playing with the velcro on their life jackets will pay a bit more attention from now on

Weird that it happened on Friday 13th & so close to the 100th anniversary of Titanic"

I was thinking the same about the muster drill, where it has become so routine for many of us that it kind of feels like a joke.

It's important that we "over learn" things like emergency evacuation, CPR, fire drills, etc. Maybe then when a real emergency happens, we will be less likely to panic.

Six dead apparently. Unbelievable and tragic.

Yes, and I admit, I have been playing hookey during the muster drills. I guess I'd better be good from now on. I don't understand why there seems to be less safety now than before; is it cost cutting?

Hi Neighbour! Well almost - we live in Aberdeenshire! Now just you listen here my quine, none of this nonsense about "working' class - as another poster said, aren't most people these days. You go and enjoy yourselves - you've been on several cruises and enjoyed them haven't you? We have done two TA's - and loved them both. Silversea and Seabourn but I really fancy one day doing one of the Queens - I think there's something quite glamourous about doing the crossing on a Liner!

The sea days - wonderful opportunity to be together and indulge in all those things that you don't do at home! And everything else that has already been mentioned by others.

We were lucky that on both crossings - and remember we were on smaller ships - the seas were kind - we had a couple of what I would call frisky days and to be honest on the second TA, I rather enjoyed them and only needed to wear my "bracelets" for one day! Until you experience crossing "the pond" you really have no idea how big that pond really is.

We chose our first TA as sailing into New York was on the DH's List of things he wanted to do - and I have to say he had a tear in his eye as we did, and it was one of the most fabulous mornings we have ever had, sailing in very early morning, the sun rising over Manhatten and enjoying breakfast whilst sailing past the Statue of Liberty. Simply breathtaking.

We met all sorts of people, down to earth and all there for the same reason - to enjoy themselves - on our last TA, one of the crew was from Peterhead - you would never have known it from her accent now but when she found out I was from the north-east, she switched immediately to doric and lost me totally! The DH is an honarary Scot being married to me!;) Oh and as such he did wear his trews on both crossing and caused a storm especially with the American ladies - so if your DH decides on his kilt or trews, you may need to keep him on a tight rein LOL!

So for what it's worth, and to echo everyone else here - go for it and dinna fash yersel!

I am posting my reply to my "neighbour" but actually replying to everyone who has posted in answer to my query. THANK YOU x 1 million times. I have had such fun reading your replies. I had pretty much made up my mind about booking such a cruise but you guys have just confirmed it. Now to do a bit of research to find that right price and date. I really can't thank you all enough and you have made me smile so. Oh if only we could all meet up on a cruise. You all sound such fun.:):)

Turning now to the Concordia. It is very sad but really amazing given the size that all in all there have been so few fatalities even taking those missing into account. One commentator/expert I heard said that part of the problem would have been the size of the liner. Their take on it was that companies will have to stop building such large capacity ships. If it had been Oasis of the Seas then I think over 5,000 passengers would have been involved.

Regarding muster drill since rediscovering cruising in 2008 our general view is that it has deteriorated. I am sure I remember when we sailed in 1993 on the Big Red Boat in the Bahamas standing on deck having to actually put an old fashioned life belt on in front of a crew member to show him that I actually could do it. Compare that with 2011 experience on Equinox (when we sailed from Civitavecchia - apologies for spelling if that is wrong). Passengers just turned up at their muster stations willy nilly, the crew member was clearly bored; people were all mixed up so if you were small you were unable to see the demonstration on how to put on your life belt. Actual experience is a lot more different than theory and this disaster did happen at night, the worst possible time.

It will be interesting to hear would comes of of the report and learned from the ship "black box". About half an hour ago I heard the captain on Sky news say that the "rock just came out of nowhere" it was not on any charts and they were sailing in clear water.

Thank you all again for your comments. Happy and safe cruising. Who knows if you are on a transatlantic Southampton to NY cruise in 2013 we might just meet up. I will definitely be on CC.

Take care.

Jenni

Glad you've enjoyed it/us so far Jennie.

You'll be pleased to know that the crew at muster drill on Cunard take it seriously & there are always lots of them so we can see what they are doing & they can help those getting in a tangle. I've seen some weird & wonderful ways some passengers try to put the life jackets on, lol

Just heard on our news reports that, in the US, muster drill is required prior to sailing, I thought that was how it was on our previous cruises. Howerver, in some countries, they only require the muster drill be held sometime in the first 24 hours. Might be a good idea to relook at that standard. After all, doesn't the auto insurance industry tell us that the majority of accidents happen within 25 miles of home?

Archived