World Cruise ???

Invincible

I did a 10 week cruise on Arcadia in 2011, and would happily have done 10 weeks more. Shame my employer doesn't agree.

Logistical problems - house insurance doesn't like you leaving the house that long. Getting a family member or friend to stop overnight one night each month might satisfy the condition, though. You'd want someone to go in occasionally just to make sure the roof hasn't fallen in.

Cabin - on Arcadia, we had a large inside cabin. It's 200 square feet instead of 150, but the extra 50 square feet is all floor space so it feels like doubling the size of the cabin. Well worth the £300 or so each it cost. As for a window/balcony, there's miles of open deck you can use as a balcony, and it's always facing the right way. Save your money for next year's repeat world cruise!

• 3 weeks later...

Hoping to be on the May 2014 Princess from Sydney - that will be when my youngest leaves home for Uni - my 5th child

I will be selling my home - downgrading to a much smaller home here on the beach

Intentions are to cruise at will, drive around Australia etc etc.. of course investing away some money for the kids

The small home will just be a base

I think it was Bazza that has some entertaining thoughts on his cruises - I will read those back over the next few days

Not drinking or smoking - living rather simply - the 15 dollars a day you estimate would be the same for me - plus day tours on land - 1,000 dollars obc pp will come in handy

We would be happy to hear from anyone contemplating leaving Sydney May 2014 on their World Cruise

~~Iru~~

Hi. I would also be pleased to hear from other solo cruisers who will be on this cruise. Hope you also realise your dreams. All the best

Hi Tiptonian

I will be on the world cruise on Arvadia in January 2013. The first was in September 2010 on Oriana and I just loved it.

Have gone for the double cabin rather than the single as the price difference was not all that much.

Hope you will join he roll call.

Regards

JO

I would also be pleased to hear from other solo cruisers who will be on this cruise.

Hello Tiptonian,

I was on the Arcadia RTW voyage in 2011 and will be back for the 2013 voyage. There will be plenty of opportunity for you to meet like-minded single passengers and to be as active or private as you like. In 2011 there were daily 'singles' coffee mornings and before larger events, eg Captain's Cocktail Party, a singes meet was arranged beforehand in one of the bars or public areas to avoid having to walk alone into a bustling sea of unfamiliar faces.

It’s always a gamble taking the decision whether to book early or wait until later in anticipation that fares will drop. My personal experience is mixed. I cancelled my 2012 Aus-UK booking in disgust having been subjected to P&O fare baiting and false cabin grade availability. Within just hours of booking (overnight) this resulted in preferred cabin availability, a reduced fare and increased benefits/add-ons totalling a saving of £thousands not £000s' – all this 12 months in advance of departure date - no way to treat loyal repeat travellers!

Saying that, however, I am content with my 2013 booking and experienced no problem in obtaining my preferred cabin grade and 1st choice cabin number.

Over the years I have travelled on several shorter legs of RTW cruises but in 2011 certainly noticed that the age range of the RTW passenger has dropped. I'm also in my 50's and there were several others + younger. The 1st-v-2nd sitting dining arrangements tended to divide the age range but there were also 'younger' passengers that preferred to eat early to enable them to fit in more evening entertainment.

Arcadia is large and you will see new faces every day - and not as the result of Alzheimers ...

The Roll Call for the 2013 adventure is open and you will find it under: Roll Calls ~ P&O Cruise Lines Roll Calls - UK & Australia ~ Arcadia Roll Calls ~ Arcadia 2013 World Cruise - Jan 2013.

Cheers!

Many thanks for the update. As I have done a number of transatlantic voyages previously I must say that I am looking forward to this. I cruised on the Oceania around 2006 in the Caribbean and was quite impressed. Since then I have been with a number of cruise lines and as a solo traveller have learned some good practices. Any recommendations regarding 'must see' on the Australia side. I am intending to climb the Sydney Harbour Bridge and perhaps get to experience the Sydney Opera House but any other recommendations would be useful.

Archived