World Cruise ???

Invincible

Seeing the itineries for World Cruises in 2013 has whetted my appetite, I retire this year so I will have the time, although my allotment will suffer for the first 4 months of the year, but I don't know if I'd like being on a ship for that long never having done a cruise longer than 17 nights before and I'm also uncertain of some of the other logistical dificulties in being away for so long. My finances aren't great and this would undoubtedly make a large hole in our savings even choosing a basic balcony or sea view cabin.

Has anyone else been in my position and bitten the bullet and gone for it, I would be very interested to hear the views of previous World cruisers.

12 months ago , we did a "kind of" World cruise - on P&O Oriana and P&O Arcadia. We managed to pick up the 42 day return leg (from Brisbane to UK) of Oriana's WC , then had 19 days in the UK over Christmas 2010 (with all that lovely snow!! :)) , and then returned home on the first 42 day leg of Arcadia's WC.

We had a great time - made some great friends - had great experiences.

Having said that, I am not sure I would do it again. There were certainly a LOT! of sea days :) What we did was a bit unique - around the World on 2 ships. But it was GOOD!. I now don't think I would like to do the complete WC on just one ship - with no break somewhere in the middle. After 6 weeks on both ships, I felt we had exhausted everything to see, do, experience on that particular ship - and any more would (for me) have started to become like "Groundhog day". Also, those particular WC's (for both ships) were only 84 day ones - I notice that most ships do longer ones (about 100 days). For example the Australian Princess WC's are around that length - and I couldn't really bear the thought of 106 days on the one ship with only overnight stops along the way. If only they would include some 2 night stops in some places!! A succession of approx 40 or so one day stops can become tiresome - and frankly, you don't get to see much of any place that you visit in the short time of a day stop.

My thoughts only - and I am certain that many will disagree - including even my wife :D

You can read about our big adventure here

Barry

BTW - we had an outside cabin on Oriana (upgraded from inside) and an inside on Arcadia. The outside is definitely better than the inside -- BUT I am not sure that it is worth the considerable extra cost. If I was to do such a thing again, I would pay the lowest fare I could and use the money saved for good times on the ship - and a shore tour in EVERY port!!

Barry

We decided to do the cruise as this was the last year before my daughter goes to school, so it is the last year we could do it for a good 15-20 years! It was also something my mother had wanted to do for a long time, but she never wanted to go alone... so it all seemed to fit, and while it cost a fortune (I spent my jetski money on it) I have no regrets (though have not been yet of course!!)....

Do remember buying the cruise is only the first part, other things like insurance, transport, tours, drinks, visas all add on as well... (quite considerably if you want to do some tours). You will need to check with your house insurer too, my mother actually had to change insurance company as the one she had would not insure for a house unoccupied for so long.

I would have loved a balcony, but it was going to be quite a lot more money... that money got spent on tours instead.

Pobman

I am certain it will be a great experience of your life !!

For your interest re additional costs, we spent about $4000 AUD on shore tours for the complete round trip. I thought the P&O shore tour prices were quite reasonable (but that may simply be because of our current good exchange rates). In some places we took shortish half daytours (around $65 per person) and in other full day tours which usually included a good lunch in a 5* hotel for around $130 PP. We did do some self guided tours - but not many. A lot of the places we visited did not suit self guided tours (IMO)

I did have to control my drinking onboard - more than I would have liked, but even then spent around $15 per day (fortunately my wife is almost teetotal ) - but IF you like a drink, you CAN spend a fortune on it over 3 months. I found beer and spirits to be quite inexpensive onboard , but wine was expensive (even the horrible house wine) - but we are spoiled for good and inexpensive wine at home.:) Tips added up to around $1000 .

Barry

Seeing the itineries for World Cruises in 2013 has whetted my appetite, I retire this year so I will have the time, although my allotment will suffer for the first 4 months of the year, but I don't know if I'd like being on a ship for that long never having done a cruise longer than 17 nights before and I'm also uncertain of some of the other logistical dificulties in being away for so long. My finances aren't great and this would undoubtedly make a large hole in our savings even choosing a basic balcony or sea view cabin.

Has anyone else been in my position and bitten the bullet and gone for it, I would be very interested to hear the views of previous World cruisers.

I haven't booked yet but am planning to take a World Cruise in 2014. I have wanted to cruise around the world for 15 years. I, too, retire this year and feel that I don't want to put off the cruise any longer. You never know what is going to happen in the future, so while I am still in good health I want to do my cruise. It will take a chunk out of my retirement money but I am going to "bite the bullet" and go for it.

I don't think the extended time at sea will bother me, in fact, I am rather looking forward to it! I love the fact that on a ship there is always something to do or nothing if that is your preference.

Barry, well I think we broke $4000AUD already :D but I have booked some expensive tours like the Kakadu tour from Darwin which is $600AUD a person. It quite likely I will never be there again so its kind of now or never. I rarely drink alcohol, a crate of beer (24 small bottles to those abroad) generally lasts me 6 months :)

I have booked private tours in places where the ship stays overnight or at least is in port a long time. I have found given that there are 4 of us a private tour is often about the same price as the P&O group, sometimes less sometimes a little more. Others I have taken the P&O option, and a couple I will 'suck it and see' when on board.

I agree many places do not fit self guided tours, in particular when you are a long way from the main attractions.

While I would not, of course, advocate putting yourself in to massive debts or anything like that IF its something you want to do, and you can afford the time/cost then do it... you may never get another chance. I certainly have no idea what my situation will be in 15-20 years time so I am glad I have taken the chance while I know I can.

Pobman

Just to give you a bit of pre-WC reading, I have compiled below a number of onboard online Blogs written by World cruisers during the 2010 and 2011 Dawn Princess WC's.

I have never come across any similar blogs for P&O WC's ( apart from my own ) - I do wish I could find some.

2011 - Dawn Princess World cruise

http://philipsbigtrip.blogspot.com/

http://colnjudeshalfworld.blogspot.com/

http://helenshalfworldcruise2011.blogspot.com/

http://worldexplorers2011.blogspot.com/

http://randyandcarolsworldtravels.blogspot.com/

http://socram13.blogspot.com/

http://ausjackaroo.blogspot.com/

http://gaznjosworldcruise2011.blogspot.com/

2010 - Dawn Princess World cruise

http://blog.bretthandy.com/

http://johnandgailscruise.blogspot.com/

http://jill-ray.blogspot.com/

http://philipgoesroundtheworldin80days.blogspot.com/

http://2010bb.blogspot.com/

http://1worldcruise.blogspot.com/

http://simpsonsrtwtrip.blogspot.com/

http://vaughancolleensaugust2010adventures.blogspot.com/

Barry

You only live once as far as science is concerned so go for it. I would rather go out with a massive debt than leave a massive fortune for someone else to enjoy!

A world cruise is a great experience with lots to see and do. I did not want to leave the ship after my first cruise (49 nights from Sydney to Southampton on Aurora). With all that goes on in the world today from financial crashes to terrorism, disasters etc I think it is far better to get out there and enjoy life while you have the chance rather than miss an opportunity. I am no millionaire and am just a worker with an ordinary job. It does not put me off travel and worry me about finances as my attitude is that I am here to enjoy myself.

Pobman

Just to give you a bit of pre-WC reading, I have compiled below a number of onboard online Blogs written by World cruisers during the 2010 and 2011 Dawn Princess WC's.

I have never come across any similar blogs for P&O WC's ( apart from my own ) - I do wish I could find some.

Barry

Cheers... I already read your one :)

Thanks all that's certainly given me food for thought one more question though, how do you get on with laundering clothes, I know some ships have a laundry room where you can do your own laundry though I'm not sure my wife would be very thrilled with that option (no I wouldn't expect her to do it all) but I imagine the cost of having clothes laundered for you by the ship would become another considerable hidden cost over the period of around 14 -15 weeks.I know sailing from and to Southampton there's no real restriction on how much you take along but our last cruise taking 4 medium size suitcases we only just managed to sqeeze them all under the bed.

Thanks all that's certainly given me food for thought one more question though, how do you get on with laundering clothes, I know some ships have a laundry room where you can do your own laundry though I'm not sure my wife would be very thrilled with that option (no I wouldn't expect her to do it all) but I imagine the cost of having clothes laundered for you by the ship would become another considerable hidden cost over the period of around 14 -15 weeks.I know sailing from and to Southampton there's no real restriction on how much you take along but our last cruise taking 4 medium size suitcases we only just managed to sqeeze them all under the bed.

All P&O ships have a laundry on at least alternative decks.

It's a good idea to buy luggage that nests inside one another, that way you can store it all, or at least most of under the bed.

We managed 7 cases under the bed this way last year.

All P&O ships have a laundry on at least alternative decks.

It's a good idea to buy luggage that nests inside one another, that way you can store it all, or at least most of under the bed.

We managed 7 cases under the bed this way last year.

Oooops - of course I mean there is a laundry on alternate decks!

There are Laundries !! - and then there are laundries??? For example, the laundries on Oriana are excellent - the ones on Arcadia are converted "shoeboxes" :(

We managed - just - by simply doing quick rinses of shirts and smalls every day in our bathroom. We were amazed at how quickly things dried while hanging in the bathroom. The only time we ever went to the laundries was to use the ironing equipment. I have to admit to being a little astounded at the level of "activity" in the laundries. They seemed to be VERY busy at all times to me - either the women (in particular) had some kind of obsession with doing laundry, or did it as some kind of "secret women's business" for social purposes or simply refused to recognise that standard home behaviours cannot be strictly adhered to when onboard a ship at sea for a long period?? :confused: I don't know.

Barry

There is no way I would want to do a world cruise even though I love cruising. Once you get over 30 nights (which we have done), it is no longer a holiday, it's more a way of life and would become a bit samey. I mean dressing up for dinner is wonderful for 3-4 weeks, but 96 days?????/ Not for me. I would miss my home, my friends.

Jean

When we got home after 101 days - I was REALLY REALLY tired. It took me quite a while to get over it. I wondered how I could be so tired after being on a ship. Then I realised that the wining and the dining and show going, night after night was really out of the "norm". At home, you might have a big night out and a big meal with wine once per week?? - but every night for 3 months!!!:p

Barry

We were only on for 35 nights, but there was no way we wanted to eat in the main dining room every night - that felt far too much and really unhealthy for us.

We often just popped up to the buffet for a light meal or had a salad delivered to our cabin. We definitely had alcohol free days too - though I seldom have more than one drink anyway as I'm not a big drinker

We plan to do half or all of the World in 2014 and we'll do the same then.

Once again thanks to all for your input, we're now seriously looking at doing the last leg of Oriana's World Cruise this year which is still on sale at a very good price if I can talk my wife into flying the 11 hours to San Francisco which would enable us hopefully to talk to people on board who'd done the full trip, also coincidentally it would mean leaving the Uk on the day I retire.

Always said i would do the world cruise when retired but having done 23 nights to usa/canada last year i don't think my stomach could take all that alchohol every night for that length of time,think of the bar bill,was nearly £1,000 for that!!!!! good grief would have a heart attack getting a bill for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!

have a good one

Always said i would do the world cruise when retired but having done 23 nights to usa/canada last year i don't think my stomach could take all that alchohol every night for that length of time,think of the bar bill,was nearly £1,000 for that!!!!! good grief would have a heart attack getting a bill for 3 months!!!!!!!!!!

have a good one

I agree; but then again, it's not actually *mandatory* to drink every night. I try to have some sober days, especially during a longer cruise. The longest we've done was 17 nights and I think I had two (certainly), maybe three days of no alcohol. But the last seven days was pretty heavy drinking (by my standards) and by the end I did not feel well.

But in the context of a world cruise, I agree that it would be very difficult.

Once again thanks to all for your input, we're now seriously looking at doing the last leg of Oriana's World Cruise this year which is still on sale at a very good price if I can talk my wife into flying the 11 hours to San Francisco which would enable us hopefully to talk to people on board who'd done the full trip, also coincidentally it would mean leaving the Uk on the day I retire.

Hi Invincible

That sounds like a good idea to me - 24 nights seems like a good step up from your previous longest cruise. The itinerary looks really good and you get to transit the Panama Canal which (for me) is a great experience. As for the drinking remember the wine steward will happily carry over a bottle to the following evening so it is quite easy to share a glass of wine over dinner without feeling the need to finish the whole bottle. We've been on Oriana a few times and never had any problem doing a bit of laundry. Our tactic was to use the launderette on A deck starboard side which was huge and we'd go about 6pm when many were getting ready for 1st sitting. A wash cycle only takes about 25 minutes and there were plenty of driers so we'd leave clothes in whilst getting ready for dinner then pick it up before going out. This may all sound a bit sad but it worked for us!

We had a rotten flight to Acapulco last year but honestly it was soon forgotten and we enjoyed the cruise from the very next day onwards. I also think that jetting out on your retirement day sounds like a great plan.

All the best

Damian

I think the best option for the OP is to take a fairly long cruise next year, and save the world cruise for 2014 if you still feel you want to do it. By fairly long cruise I do not mean a segment of a world cruise, for I feel if you do that then an allure will be lost in doing the whole thing, presuming you plan on going around fully. Although I can't think of a P&O cruise that is not a couple of cruises combined and or part of a longer voyage that exceeds 31 days, I'm sure other lines have them. Holland America and their famous 'Voyage of the Viking' for example is 35 days round trip from Boston. It is their best selling cruise and so availability for 2012 is most likely gone, but 2013 would be an option.

By going on a longer 'cruise' cruise (rather than a segment) you'll find out if you have the sea legs for the much longer world cruise.

Don't think of it as a test drive, think of it as your 2013 retirement holiday! Then do the World Cruise in 2014, perhaps that would be the best option, for it'll give you more time to plan which World Cruise you are willing to do, with P&O or another line, which ship, etc. An investment like a World Cruise should never be spent easy, and so take all the precautions you need to make sure you enjoy it. On the other hand, I can think of very few things in the world more exhilarating and enticing to joining a luxury ship to travel around the world, and there are very few things you could do with the money that you'd spend on a world cruise that could possibly compare.

Hi this is my first post but as a seasoned solo cruiser I have just booked a world cruise on the Arcadia commencing 5th January 2013. I have always had to be rather 'savy' when getting the best deals but this year I have pushed the boat out (no pun intended)and finally made the commitment but I have had to really search for the best deals. Although I begrudge the amount of single supplement that I have had to pay I feel that while I am physically fit and able (a young 59 years of age) I should do this now. I have arranged this as my 60th birthday to myself...think we all deserve a treat. I would also be pleased to hear from other solo cruisers who will be on this cruise. Hope you also realise your dreams. All the best

Hi this is my first post but as a seasoned solo cruiser I have just booked a world cruise on the Arcadia commencing 5th January 2013. I have always had to be rather 'savy' when getting the best deals but this year I have pushed the boat out (no pun intended)and finally made the commitment but I have had to really search for the best deals. Although I begrudge the amount of single supplement that I have had to pay I feel that while I am physically fit and able (a young 59 years of age) I should do this now. I have arranged this as my 60th birthday to myself...think we all deserve a treat. I would also be pleased to hear from other solo cruisers who will be on this cruise. Hope you also realise your dreams. All the best

What a super birthday present! Congratulations. Others have posted to think of the cost of the cabin and as a solo traveler you are absorbing the entire cost. If I don't let myself dwell on it too long that makes me fell (a little) better. The best part though is having all the space to yourself since the cabins aren't too big to start with. Have a fabulous cruise and be sure to post a review.

Archived