Ketchikan excursions

TallinnGirl

We will be on an Alaskan cruise in May.

We have already booked our excusrions of choice in Juneau (Harv and Marv's whale watch) and Skagway (Yukon and WhitePass through the cruise line) however we cannot decide what tour to take in Ketchikan.

We would have loved to go on a bear watching tour however it seems the earliest these are available is June. It does not seem like any dog sled tours are available from this port of call.

Can anyone recommend any good tours for this port of call? Possibly previous cruisers have had some great experiences and can suggest something...

Thanks in advance

We are considering either the "Deadliest Catch" crab fishing vessel excursion or the "drive a jeep into Denali and then canoe across a lake" excursion both offered through HAL. I would welcome input from anyone out there who has done either of these... or who thinks that there is something else spectacular we just shouldn't miss. (We are hiking in Juneau and doing a wildlife boat toar in Sitka).

Thanks!

We are considering either the "Deadliest Catch" crab fishing vessel excursion or the "drive a jeep into Denali and then canoe across a lake" excursion both offered through HAL. I would welcome input from anyone out there who has done either of these... or who thinks that there is something else spectacular we just shouldn't miss. (We are hiking in Juneau and doing a wildlife boat toar in Sitka).

Thanks!

Be advised the "jeeps" tour is not at the National Park, but uses the state park of Denali. This won't be a wildlife tour. "Canoe across a lake", isn't very exciting for some.

We will be on an Alaskan cruise in May.

We have already booked our excusrions of choice in Juneau (Harv and Marv's whale watch) and Skagway (Yukon and WhitePass through the cruise line) however we cannot decide what tour to take in Ketchikan.

We would have loved to go on a bear watching tour however it seems the earliest these are available is June. It does not seem like any dog sled tours are available from this port of call.

Can anyone recommend any good tours for this port of call? Possibly previous cruisers have had some great experiences and can suggest something...

Thanks in advance

Yes, you are way too early for any bear tours, out of Ketchikan, these are not available until July.

Flightseeing Misty Fiords is a top choice, there is also plenty of native culture, Totem Bight and Saxman Village are very popular, alone with the Totem Heritage Museum, Alaska Discovery Center, Lumberjack Show, fishing etc etc etc http://www.visit-ketchikan.com

Yes, I don't really see any "exciting" tours in Ketchikan...

I read reviews of the Lumberjack show and it seems to be more geared towards kids.

We were considering a fishing tour but I personally do not like to fish so this would be a waste of 4 hours in port for me! And these are not cheap either...

Maybe the "Deadliest catch tour" is a good alternative but boat holds 120 people which does not seem to be a very personal experience...

Hey TallinGirl, Hmmm.... totally confused now. Just re-read my brochure from HAL and the Jeep thing talks about Denali for sure and says that we are "likely" but not guaranteed to see moose, caribou, bears, etc... If all I'm going to see are trees and mountains, I'll be I can do that for much cheaper on my own!

The "Deadliest Catch" thing gets lots of rave reviews on the HAL website - not one review less than 5 stars - everyone says they ALL get to hold the crabs, octopii, etc. that are pulled up for demonstration purposes (and then released) and that they have sufficient blankets, coats, etc. to provide for everyone who feels chilly in their own clothes. You'd think they couldn't have enough for 120 people, right?

So here's what I did... I went on YouTube and searched for videos of the two above excursions - and of floatplane sightseeing.... I'm in love with the floatplane thing! So I've made my decision. Plus, it's shorter so there's time left to check out Creek Street, which I really want to do, too. I hope you get to make yours soon, too!

Hey TallinGirl, Hmmm.... totally confused now. Just re-read my brochure from HAL and the Jeep thing talks about Denali for sure and says that we are "likely" but not guaranteed to see moose, caribou, bears, etc... If all I'm going to see are trees and mountains, I'll be I can do that for much cheaper on my own!quote]

Hmmm...I did not comment on this :)

But Misty Fjords flight seeing definitely sounds like something to be considered!

We went to Emerald Lake one time with Dyea Dave in May. We had four stops for bear, and as Dave said they we still sleepy and easier to spot, some were within 50 ft of us.

Dave likes to leave early to stay ahead of the busses, and he pulls his little vehicle in slowly, so as not to disturb the animals.

john

I just wanted to second that youtube videos is a great resource for finding what suits you. It gives you a much better feel for whether or not it will suit you than the written descriptions. I was thinking about deadliest catch tour until I saw some videos and knew the big crowd and arena style learning were'nt for me (though lots love it!) so once you narrow down your choices try and find some videos - and trip advisor of course.

We did the Deadliest Catch tour when we were in Ketchikan last May. The viewing area is heated, but my friend & I shared a blanket just to go across our laps. There were plenty to go around.

The trip doesn't feel crowded, and we had plenty of time with the crew. We were fortunate to be among the first to board (being Deadliest Catch fans, we were talking to the Captain on our way from the ship), and were able to grab seats right behind the pot launcher.

We did the deadliest catch trip when we went to Alaska in 2009 and we loved it! We are big deadliest catch fans. Although the boat can hold a number of people, we were able to move around the boat and it didn't feel overcrowded at all. The captain and crew were great and I got to hold a king crab. We also saw a humpback whale while on the trip and got some great photos of Bald Eagles.

Misty Fjords Flightseeing tour!! Check 'em out....

Wife just would not get on a small plane period. So we took the boat tour out to Misty Fjords, and enjoyed it immensely. But I've seen some photos of the flightseeing tour, and it does look superior to the boat tour.

But I second your motion.

We went to Emerald Lake one time with Dyea Dave in May. We had four stops for bear, and as Dave said they we still sleepy and easier to spot, some were within 50 ft of us.

Dave likes to leave early to stay ahead of the busses, and he pulls his little vehicle in slowly, so as not to disturb the animals.

john

This seems to be Skagway, not Ketchikan...

FWIW- I saved this article from USA Today for planning our 2012 alaska cruise on princess, and they said many of the cruise lines use the same tour companies-

USA today posted Princess Cruises' annual awards honoring local tour operators in Alaska in October 2011 for 2011, and here are the winners for Ketchikan-

Back Country Zodiac Expedition, By Ketchikan Outdoors; Bering Sea Crab Fisherman's Tour, by Commercial Fishing Adventures; Rainforest Canopy & Zipline Expedition, by Alaska Canopy Adventures.

Keep all the great suggestions coming....

Check out the romantic package on the Ketchikan Outdoors webpage. I first read about them from a rave review by Assateague Island Princes on these boards. She is a knowledgeable cruiser who has posted often. We have this adventure booked for our upcoming cruise this summer, and we can't wait. It is totally different from any other excursion that we have seen!

Ditto what Linsuesue said;)! LOL! LOVED this excursion with Ketchikan Outdoors (Romance Package), and would do it again in a heartbeat! Despite a rather rainy, foggy, and drizzly day, we had a wonderful time on the island all by our lonesomes, beachcombing to our heart's content, snacking on the wonderful Alaskan picnic they provided, and DH sipping on the Alaskan Ale they provided as well. Very enjoyable, and terrific experience dealing with Capt. Tab and his lovely wife - several emails and phone calls (Calming my fears about running into a bear on the island :o). Afterwards, we got an unexpected but very welcome extra hour on the water w/Capt. Tab when reports of orca sightings came in - he took us, we saw 'em - Wow! So lucky!

Linsuesue, I'm so thrilled that you decided to take advantage of this excursion, and hoping you'll report back when you return about your adventures on Blank Island!

Archived