FL Water Taxi Questions

Newbcruiser1

Has anyone taken the water taxi in Fort Lauderdale? Would you recommend it?

We're arriving in the late morning the day before our cruise and are looking for a fun way to spend the afternoon/evening. We'll have a rental car and are wondering the best/safest place to park the car that will be okay to walk back to at night. I know there's a $5 garage on the map. Is this right on the water taxi route or still a walk away? Safe? I also thought about parking at the Galleria mall and getting on at that stop? How far is that?

Any thoughts from people who live there or have done it would be great! Thanks in advance!

Why do you have a car rental if planning on using the water taxi to get around? (A day's pass on the water taxi I think is $20.) Not sure I'd do that. Where are you staying?

Anyways, go to watertaxi.com and you will see all the routes and places near the stops. Easy to find a spot for the car at a mall or store area.

Most use the water taxi to see the area and stop at different watering holes for resfreshments. There are sevveral routes you can take. Some end early evening, so make sure you have all the info before counting on a water taxi back to a certain point.;)

Why do you have a car rental if planning on using the water taxi to get around? (A day's pass on the water taxi I think is $20.) Not sure I'd do that. Where are you staying?

Anyways, go to watertaxi.com and you will see all the routes and places near the stops. Easy to find a spot for the car at a mall or store area.

Most use the water taxi to see the area and stop at different watering holes for resfreshments. There are sevveral routes you can take. Some end early evening, so make sure you have all the info before counting on a water taxi back to a certain point.;)

I want to just clarify what I said earlier. If you have a car becasue you are staying far enough from the pier to make it money smart to rent rather than use a cab, then sure..you can park it while you move around the waterways via boat. Was only thinking when I posted, that you were staying downtown or nearby and wouldn't need a car too.

Just make sure you have enough time to see everything in the light time of the day. The homes are amazing. And the boat "captain" will explain the area, the residents, points of interest etc.

Yes, our hotel is far enough that we need a car (thanks to my mis-click on Priceline which led to an accepted bid... don't get me started on that! :S)

Thanks for the information. I did spend some time on the water taxi site which is where I heard about the $5 parking garage. Do you by any chance know if it's right near the waterway and taxi-stop?

I'm not sure where the $5 garage is. If you want free parking, Galleria Mall is a block from the Gallery One stop. The parking lot stays busy at night because there are restaurants and a bar. I'm not saying that you should use the privately owned mall parking for the water taxi, but while you are shopping and dining there, you might need to take a break on the water taxi.;)

Thanks for the information. I did spend some time on the water taxi site which is where I heard about the $5 parking garage. Do you by any chance know if it's right near the waterway and taxi-stop?

http://www.watertaxi.com/watertaxi/fort-lauderdale/maps-stops-ft-lauderdale-express-hollywood/

If you look at this map of stops on this link, there are many stops that have parking. Like Royal said, you could easily park at Galleria Mall for free. But the garage you mentioned is at stop 11 for $5.00. You have easy choices. All parking will be near the stop if on this map. I'd just pick the schedule that fits your needs and head to that P stop. Have fun.

Archived