Update please odyssey

MARIANH

Can I just make a quick correction to Markham's post - there is no smoking at the rear of the Colonnade (the informal restaurant with outside seating) but there is on the starboard side outdoors behind Seabourn Square, on the deck below. I am pretty sure I am right about this - there is never smoking in eating areas.

Captain Pedder explained to me today on the Legend that Holland America goes smoke free tomorrow on all ships in staterooms and he think that it will be an eventuality that Seabourn will follow suit sooner or later.

Lincslady,

Thank you for the correction about smoking outside the Seabourn Square, starboard side, stern. Of course there is no smoking on the deck above which is the Colonnade's outdoor terrace. I don't know what I was thinking!

We are all set now for the magnificent Galley Lunch in The Restaurant on Quest. It's a beautiful day and we will reach Recife, Brazil tomorrow.

Happy Sailing!

By all means take her advice but be aware that you need a good table in the front half of the restaurant ( or indeed outside) to get a good view ( of the Opera House etc) and there are some poor tables in the restaurant. So best to book ahead if possible. Also service can be "patchy" at times. Oh, and dont forget a wodge of dollars( Australian) or a fat credit card - it has a reputation for being pricey. And dont get skewered;)

By all means take her advice but be aware that you need a good table in the front half of the restaurant ( or indeed outside) to get a good view ( of the Opera House etc) and there are some poor tables in the restaurant. So best to book ahead if possible. Also service can be "patchy" at times. Oh, and dont forget a wodge of dollars( Australian) or a fat credit card - it has a reputation for being pricey. And dont get skewered;)
Thanks. I'll see what we end up doing but Doyles is on for sure!

Ripper! ( Strine). Enjoy! ( English).

And talking of Strine, where is Writer100 when one needs his linguistic expertise?

Rumour has it that he has jumped ship and is rowing towards Oceania for a change of scene. Come back- all is forgiven :)

And talking of Strine, where is Writer100 when one needs his linguistic expertise?

Rumour has it that he has jumped ship and is rowing towards Oceania for a change of scene. Come back- all is forgiven :)

You are right. last heard from he was on Sojourn I think in the Caribbean! Maybe he is in the process of switching residences from the frozen tundra to the warm Florida breezes...it would be about that time! Maybe we can bring him back into the warmth of our Seabourn boards!

RHN,

If you like mussels, great fries ( although can't beat Seabourn fries) and beer in Sydney, the place to go is the Belgian Beer Cafe in the Rocks area, very close to the cruise ship terminal.

DENVER UNITED: Not a beer fan but we did have some Tahiti beer on Hiva Oa that was delicious. You can't drink the water on the islands, only bottled...and we love mussels!

MARIANH: Sat next to a person who had previous owned a winery in Calif.

and he had hired a driver in Napier to go out to some of the wineries. We are on waiting list for the Hawkes Bay and Mission Valley tasting tour. This gentleman said to take a tour to Hunter Valley but he thought it was at least two hours from Sydney and might be really hot! By the way I had a nice Craggy Ridge Pinot Noir last night with dinner, and they also had a couple of New Zealand whites that people commented on but we had such an entertaining table I didn't get the names.

Nancy

Have you seen any red wines from Chile on the wine lists? I love both the Cab and the Shiraz ~Seabourn usually offers 3 or 4 kinds.

Don't forget to ask your waiter if the Fry Chef might send you some "Fried Onion Rings" ~I usually order these in the Dining Room but one day, (Sojourn) the Patio Grill Maitre 'D surprised me at lunch and set a big platter of zizzlin' rings down in the middle of our table! Of course, they disappeared in minutes!:D

Have a continued marvelous, fun voyage !

Martita B

DENVER UNITED: Not a beer fan but we did have some Tahiti beer on Hiva Oa that was delicious. You can't drink the water on the islands, only bottled...and we love mussels!

MARIANH: This gentleman said to take a tour to Hunter Valley but he thought it was at least two hours from Sydney and might be really hot! By the way I had a nice Craggy Ridge Pinot Noir last night with dinner, and they also had a couple of New Zealand whites that people commented on but we had such an entertaining table I didn't get the names.

Hunter valley is at least two hours drive from Sydney and you need to spend a good few hours there to take in a selection of wineries. It goes without saying that it is best to have a driver( we did) or perhaps use a tour. Yes, it should be hot this time of the year but you then have the best excuse in the world for quaffing delicious chilled whites from the region. But it would be big chunk out of the too ( two?) few days you have in Sydney. And you are spoilt for choice with other great things to do in Sydney and its environs. So little time!

Surely the Craggy Ridge ( if it was from Marlborough) was not on the complimentary list. If so things really are looking up.icon14.gif

Still no sightings of Writer100; but I have sent up a distress flare ( actually a post on the Oceania thread).

Keep enjoying and reporting please:)

By the way I had a nice Craggy Ridge Pinot Noir last night with dinner, and they also had a couple of New Zealand whites that people commented on but we had such an entertaining table I didn't get the names.

Just returned from having dinner at our nearby Four Seasons. They had a good wine list including New Zealand Craggy Range pinot noir ($100). If that is what you had and it was from the complimentary list then things really are looking up! And what a coincidence:)

Just returned from having dinner at our nearby Four Seasons. They had a good wine list including New Zealand Craggy Range pinot noir ($100). If that is what you had and it was from the complimentary list then things really are looking up! And what a coincidence:)
Sorry to get you all excited...it was on the premium list and our table ordered some premium wines! Very nice. I hope to go there when we are in New Zealand. The free pinot that is not too bad is Irony. I have Writer100's email and I may have to drop him a line and see what he's up too....I hope it's not Oceania? I will have to tell Miss Martha. Had the Chilean white Alicia.....savignon blanc and it was dry and not too bad for our free wine.

Sorry to get you all excited...it was on the premium list and our table ordered some premium wines! Very nice. I hope to go there when we are in New Zealand. The free pinot that is not too bad is Irony.

Ah,yes. Ironic;)

Hello you lucky people

I am an ex Odyssey passenger and live in Sydney

Know you are on your way

Want any information about how to enjoy our great city?

Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky people on board the Odyssey right now :( but we are coming to visit Australia later this year (August/Sept) to celebrate a BIG birthday for the DH, so can I be cheeky and say yes please, we've 4 days in Sydney and any tips would be greatly and warmly appreciated. I've already picked up a couple of good restaurant suggestions here and bookmarked them! Booked tickets to a performance at the Sydney Opera House and thinking about taking a Seaplane for lunch somewhere as a surprise for the DH - would that be worth doing?

Thanks! :)

Unfortunately I'm not one of the lucky people on board the Odyssey right now :( but we are coming to visit Australia later this year (August/Sept) to celebrate a BIG birthday for the DH, so can I be cheeky and say yes please, we've 4 days in Sydney and any tips would be greatly and warmly appreciated. I've already picked up a couple of good restaurant suggestions here and bookmarked them! Booked tickets to a performance at the Sydney Opera House and thinking about taking a Seaplane for lunch somewhere as a surprise for the DH - would that be worth doing?

Thanks! :)

Other suggestions for you -

- Circular Quay to Manly ferry - not Odyssey but pretty nice anyway!

- Bridge Climb? - need to be pretty fit

- Day tour to Blue Mountains - spectacular - about 3hr there and back

- We have a good art gallery and several excellent museums

- Visit to NSW Parliament House

- Walk round Mrs McQuarie's Chair

Just a few - in any event have a great time. Seaplane for lunch is a great idea

Nancy

Have you seen any red wines from Chile on the wine lists? I love both the Cab and the Shiraz ~Seabourn usually offers 3 or 4 kinds.

Don't forget to ask your waiter if the Fry Chef might send you some "Fried Onion Rings" ~I usually order these in the Dining Room but one day, (Sojourn) the Patio Grill Maitre 'D surprised me at lunch and set a big platter of zizzlin' rings down in the middle of our table! Of course, they disappeared in minutes!:D

Have a continued marvelous, fun voyage !

Martita B

have had the onion rings several times, fabulous as usual as are the french fries. Haven't checked too much on the RED Chillean wines but have put a report on the whites....I wii check on the reds.

Thanks for the suggestions. No chance of bridge climb - vertigo! LOL! If the DH wants to do it, he's on his own! ;):)

Can't wait for our trip although not on SB this time, but having read RHN news of an interesting voyage in the plans for 2014 on one of the big sisters, looking forward to hearing more on that especially if Seabourntraveller going to be on board! :D

Writer100 - Looking for a change of scene over on the Silverseas board. Found him there today and passed on that you were missing him!;):) LOL!

• 3 weeks later...
We have not been on the Odyssey for two years and would be grateful for comments on the following :

FINALLY - Is anyone joining Odyssey at Barcelona for the April 2012 departure to Venice?

THE SMALL PRINT - The reason for above is that we have an option on this cruise and I need to make a decision very soon.

Looking forward to being Sea borne again.

Regards

Angie and I will be on the 9 April cruise. If you decided to book this cruise, why not check out the roll call.

Other suggestions for you -

- Circular Quay to Manly ferry - not Odyssey but pretty nice anyway!

- Bridge Climb? - need to be pretty fit

- Day tour to Blue Mountains - spectacular - about 3hr there and back

- We have a good art gallery and several excellent museums

- Visit to NSW Parliament House

- Walk round Mrs McQuarie's Chair

Just a few - in any event have a great time. Seaplane for lunch is a great idea

Let me add a couple .....

- Day tour to the Hunter Valley for wine tasting (check with the Concierge at the hotel).

- Buy a multi-day transport ticket. Good for buses, trains and ferries. The Manly ferry is good but there are plenty of others too.

- Go to Darling Harbour. Touristy but there is quite a lot there.

- Paddy's market. Definitely worth wandering around especially if the weather is miserable.

- Blue Mountains. Only go if it is a clear day. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

Let me add a couple .....

- Day tour to the Hunter Valley for wine tasting (check with the Concierge at the hotel).

- Buy a multi-day transport ticket. Good for buses, trains and ferries. The Manly ferry is good but there are plenty of others too.

- Go to Darling Harbour. Touristy but there is quite a lot there.

- Paddy's market. Definitely worth wandering around especially if the weather is miserable.

- Blue Mountains. Only go if it is a clear day. Otherwise you will be disappointed.

Just my comment on the ferry Roxburgh. The pass is good if you do a LOT of traveling. Otherwise you are better doing things individually as we used lots of different means of transportation. Their systems are good and reasonable. We took the bus to the fish market for $2.10 each way. $6 on the Manly ferry, great ride and a lot told us beter than the dinner cruises around the area...not good food and too touristy. Got the ride and a nice stop at Manly by riding the ferry....$6. I have to qualify all this. We have had excellent weather since Roxburgh left...I told him I was bringing it!

• 2 weeks later...

Archived