Northern Europe Cruise Info Please

seafish

For those of you that have done the Northern Europe Cruise itinerary roundtrip London to London with ports of Copenhagen, Stockholm, Helsinki, St Petersburg,Tallinn, Gdansk, Oslo, etc., - is there a preferred ship side for this cruise? Is this R/T London/London cruise "the" preferred itinerary for this trip. For example - IMO to get the most out of an Alaskan cruise - the one-way Gulf of Alaska Cruise is the preferred itinerary. I'm trying ot get a sense of what the best Northern Europe Cruise itinerary is to visit the above ports. Would a round trip Copenhagen to Copenhagen be better? - or, how about a one-way itinerary? Appreciate all input. Thanks - SeaFish

On our sailing in 2003 (we’re going again this year because we’ve been to the Med area so many times, and this is a wonderful itinerary that we wanted to repeat because there is so much to do in the ports), the port side of the ship had the best scenic viewing from the cabins. I think that might vary based on your itinerary, so I would advise asking your travel agent or the cruise line for verification.

Like you, I preferred the one-way itinerary from Seward to Anchorage when we went on our Alaska cruise. For the Baltics, most of the itineraries that I have seen are roundtrip. I think Oceania has one-way sailings, and if you can find a good special on that line, it’s a great cruise. But be advised that Oceania is very different from other cruise lines. You won’t see a lot of Vegas-style entertainment, art auctions, etc. That is an upscale line that is very focused on the destinations, and it gets rave reviews from those who go knowing what to expect.

We like to do cruises that begin and end in different ports in Europe because we like to stay at least 2 days pre- and 2 or more days post-cruise, and we have more options beginning and ending in different cities. If you need to choose between London, Copenhagen, or Amsterdam roundtrip for your Baltic itinerary, I think that’s just a matter of personal preference. Sailing out of London, you’ll have more time at sea. The Europe cruises tend to be very port intensive, which I love, but it’s nice to have some sea time to rest too. We booked Celebrity this year and have 4 full days and 2 half days at sea. You can do some research on London, Copenhagen, and Amsterdam to see which city you’d like to spend some time in prior to the cruise too.

I also prefer to choose an itinerary and then choose the ship because I am a “port person,” but if you are really interested in the ship experience, choosing the ship first might help you with your itinerary decision. The good news is that there are many more ships sailing Europe than there was when we first started sailing that area of the world, and the new itineraries are wonderful, so you have a lot of GREAT options.

Happy travels to you,

Donna

I have a trip review from our 2003 trip posted on my roll call board for this year. I haven't been to Gdansk, but the other cities you referenced are in that post.

I forgot to mention that I personally do not like the Princess itineraries out of Copenhagen because they use a port city outside Stockholm that is at least an hour commute each way, and Stockholm is too wonderful for words, so I recommend the longest port stay possible there. Also, the Princess sailings omit the scenic sailing in the archipelago area of Stockholm, which is FABULOUS, so that eliminates Princess as an option for me.

We were originally scheduled to go to Gdansk this year but Celebrity changed our itinerary after it was marketed and sold for many months. Our port time was cut short in several ports, and that was not good. Celebrity changed itineraries on all the Baltic sailings this year and created a lot of confusion by not communicating clearly and in a timely manner to the passengers (we had 3 different itineraries posted on the web site and received conflicting information from travel agents and Celebrity personnel), and I believe port time was reduced for all sailings. Our itinerary was negatively impacted for sure--especially losing a lot of port time in Stockholm and Copenhagen in addition to having our port time in Oslo changed to times when the museums and shops are not open--and that's when Gdansk was dropped and we received Helsinki as a substitute.

We were advised that Celebrity was notified by a port that the ship could not call at that port on the date scheduled, but that doesn't seem credible since all the sailings were affected by schedule changes. Celebrity has not identified the port either, so that adds to the suspicion. I think the speculation on the Baltics boards that Celebrity created the scheduling conflicts by moving a second ship to the Baltics this year is accurate. I also think it is probable that the berths in the Baltic ports are crowded this year, and most of the Europe sailings seem to be selling very well, as shown by the higher prices.

We had already arranged our time off work, scheduled around a lot of family matters, and found frequent flyer seats, but we would have definitely switched to another cruise line following Celebrity's outrageous conduct if we were in a position to do so. I just didn't want to leave you with the impression from my post above that we are recommending Celebrity because we decidedly are NOT. We have sailed Princess, Holland, and once on RCCL in Europe and can recommend those lines. But as noted above, I would use Princess in the Baltics only if that lines changes to docking directly in Stockholm like the other cruise lines do. We would like to go on Oceania next. So Celebrity's conduct with itineraries this year is information for your consideration if you are booking for 2006.

Here's the link to the trip review I referenced:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=52759&page=2&pp=25

It's post number 47 on that thread. There are a lot of other great reviews and posts on these boards that might help you too.

Donna

We did the Copenhagen Round Trip on Princess in 2001 and were a little disappointed in Princess...but not in the ports...(Yes, instead of bringing you directly to Stockholm, they tender in at Nynashamn - a major hassle - it's a long and expensive bus ride to and from both cutting into your tour time and causing a great deal of extra expense...Plus, for some reason, our ship had to have an average age of about 85...and it cost about the same for a 10-night itinerary as it would have for a London RT on RCCL or Celebrity on a 12 to 14 night cruise...I would not go with Princess again...

We sent my parents on a Baltic cruise last summer...on the Celebrity Constellation...on what was pretty much an ideal itinerary--a rare Dover to Stockholm one way...This allowed them to spend an extra night in London and in Stockholm and to get in the maximum number of ports...But Celebrity doesn't seem to be doing that variation this year...

The Constellation's choices are all round trip Dover to Dover:

Day 1 Dover, England Depart 5:00 PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Oslo, Norway Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 2:00 PM

Day 4 At Sea

Day 5 Stockholm, Sweden Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 6 Helsinki, Finland Arrive 9:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 7 St. Petersburg, Russia Arrive 7:00 AM

Day 8 St. Petersburg, Russia Depart 6:30 PM

Day 9 Tallinn, Estonia Arrive 8:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 10 At Sea

Day 11 Warnemunde, Germany Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 9:30 PM

Day 12 Copenhagen, Denmark Arrive 12:00 PM

Day 13 Copenhagen, Denmark Depart 12:00 PM

Day 14 At Sea

Day 15 Dover, England Arrive 7:00 AM

or

Day 1 Dover, England Depart 5:00 PM

Day 2 At Sea

Day 3 Copenhagen, Denmark Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 6:00 PM

Day 4 Warnemunde, Germany Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 9:30 PM

Day 5 At Sea

Day 6 Stockholm, Sweden Arrive 8:30 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Day 7 Riga, Latvia Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 5:00 PM

Day 8 Tallinn, Estonia Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Day 9 St. Petersburg, Russia Arrive 7:00 AM

Day 10 St. Petersburg, Russia Depart 6:30 PM

Day 11 Helsinki, Finland Arrive 7:00 AM Depart 4:00 PM

Day 12 Klaipeda, Lithuania Arrive 10:00 AM Depart 7:00 PM

Day 13 At Sea

Day 14 At Sea

Day 15 Dover, England Arrival Arrive 7:00 AM

The first itinerary is pretty much what we did with the exception of starting and ending in Dover with a couple of extra at-sea days and with Warnemunde instead of Gdansk...Gdansk was very nice and very beautiful...but I have never been to Warnemunde (which includes tours to Berlin which might be even more interesting than Gdansk - it's not a bad trade-off either way)...

The second itinerary is very different - no Oslo - but, instead, you get stops in Latvia and Lithuania...I would think this would be fascinating - a chance to see all three former Soviet Baltic countries...Oslo wasn't that great a stop anyway - and the visits there alwasy seem to be half days anyway...If I were to choose one of these routes for my next Baltic cruise, I'd definitely go with that second one...

As to ships, I absolutely love Celebrity and the Constellation. I just got off a cruise on the Constellation a couple of weeks ago...and I'll be back on for a British Isles/Norwegian Fjords cruise in 3 months...I have also sailed on her sister ships, the Summit and the Millennium...After having cruised on six different cruise lines, I have come to the realization that no one does it as well as Celebrity...Better food and service...and much roomier ships...

That would be my recommendation...

Also, the Princess sailings omit the scenic sailing in the archipelago area of Stockholm, which is FABULOUS,

One of the highlights of our Baltics trip on the Constellation last July/August was sitting in the martini bar by the window as we left Stockholm with an ice-cold martini in hand and watching all those wonderful islands and the quaint houses pass by.

Allen

The first itinerary is pretty much what we did with the exception of starting and ending in Dover with a couple of extra at-sea days and with Warnemunde instead of Gdansk...Gdansk was very nice and very beautiful...but I have never been to Warnemunde (which includes tours to Berlin which might be even more interesting than Gdansk - it's not a bad trade-off either way)...

This was the itinerary we took last summer. Since it was August and even in St. Petersburg it was 85 degrees, we decided not to take the ten-hour train ride in non-airconditioned coaches to Berlin. We took a Warnemunde/Rostock tour which we enjoyed very much. It included a visit to a brewery where we had beer and pretzels in a small German restaurant, a walking tour of Rostock, and a German lunch in a Rostock restaurant. Then we were dropped off at the Warnemunde dock area where there were lots of very nice boutiques and dockside restaurants, and we were only a two- or three-minute walk from the ship. We were very pleasantly surprised at how interesting Warnemunde and Rostock were.

Allen

The scenic cruising into and out of Oslo is also fabulous, so it would be a hard call. We went to the Viking Ship Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum in Oslo, and it was nice, but I do agree that Oslo is not a 5-star port as far as things to see while in port.

I don't recommend seeing Berlin via train from Warnemunde/Rostock because there's just too much to see in 5-9 hours, and I don't like bus tours with my nose pressed to the glass (I like to get out and walk and see and do things). There are some wonderful smaller villages in that area, and you can see at least two in a port stop.

So if you have to choose between those two ports, my best guess is that it would come down to whether you wanted some more scenic cruising or whether you wanted to see some of Germany.

I also think that Latvia and Lithuania would be very interesting. I like ports that are a little off the beaten path.

Donna

I prefer ports over at-sea days so a Baltic cruise starting from the UK is out of the question for me. First you'll have to spend several hours (and around $80) to get from the airport to the harbour, then you spend an entire day getting to first stop on the continent, and then coming back, you have another full sea day on the return. And depending on the time of year, the North Sea can develop quite a chop.

In contrast, Copenhagen and Stockholm are relatively accessible from the airport to the pier - Stockholm has the Arlanda Airport Express train and unless you're booked aboard the Grand Princess, you can take the subway from CPH to the pier - just make sure you know which station is closest to your ship in advance, or just use a cab for the final leg.

As far as which side is better, one side looks north sailing in, and the other side looks north sailing out. If you know what you want to see in advance, book your cabin accordingly. I'm a military fortress buff and I wanted to see Oskarsborg - knowing that it guarded the north side of Oslofjord and that it would be dark as we passed (most ships sail into port before dawn in order to clear customs and be tied up in time for early morning shore excursions), I booked a cabin on the starboard side which also allowed me to photograph the fortress as we departed - same applied to the fortresses lining the approaches to St. Petersburg. Otherwise, just sit back and enjoy the view!

dbh62ark, Bruin Steve,WeBeCruisin', drwong - Thank you all for your great input & recommendations. As with most cruise itineraries...securing advance information to make the right cruise/travel choices makes all the difference in the quality of the trip experience. All of your info has been a great help in getting us started in the right direction.

We've sailed on a couple former Oceania ships - so we agree those ships are great. Great size, love the ships, deco, dining, staterooms, passenger mix, etc. While the Vegas style entertainment & mega ship-type activities are fine - we cruise primarily for the ports. We love port intensive cruises - for us the fewer sea days the better. When we want to beach it, do the sun thing and just hang-out - we'd rather book a land package.

We do appreciate your info regarding the Northern Europe Princess itinerary issues. You've confirm our thinking to consider a one-way cruise itinerary. Based on your input - we will take a look closer look at Celebrity Cruises for this trip.

We have also been looking at a RCCL 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise Jewel Of the Seas R/T London/London cruise Junior Suite (JS) albeit a R/T as:

Embark London/Harwich, At Sea, Oslo, Copenhagen, At Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, 2 nights St Petersburg, Tallinn, 2 days At Sea - Disembark London/Harwich. What do you think about this cruise? good/bad?

I've been told that the Northern Europe cruising season is similar to that of Alaska... that being May(early), June/July/August(prime), September(late). Is this correct? I assume that the seasons also reflect cruise costs and more or less visitors - correct? What would you recommend as the right time to go?

Again - we really appreciate all of your input & look forward to hearing from you. Since the Northern Europe itinerary is totally new to us - any & all informaiton will be greatly appreciated. SeaFish

The scenic cruising into and out of Oslo is also fabulous, so it would be a hard call. We went to the Viking Ship Museum and the Norwegian Folk Museum in Oslo, and it was nice, but I do agree that Oslo is not a 5-star port as far as things to see while in port.

I also think that Latvia and Lithuania would be very interesting. I like ports that are a little off the beaten path.

Donna

We also very much enjoyed the Vigeland sculpture gardens in Oslo. I wasn't sure I would like it at first, but the sculpture and the circumstances and themes surrounding the garden were fascinating. We also went to the Viking museum and the Folk Museum.

We thought Taillinn, Estonia, was a pleasant surprise. My wife found some very unusual linen outfits which were priced more reasonably than at any of the other ports. I declined on buying the $6,000 amber model ship, though.

Allen

I've been told that the Northern Europe cruising season is similar to that of Alaska... that being May(early), June/July/August(prime), September(late). Is this correct? I assume that the seasons also reflect cruise costs and more or less visitors - correct? What would you recommend as the right time to go?

Most of the ports are at about the same latitude as Anchorage, Alaska. We were on our Baltics cruise from July 30 to about the 13th (14 days). The temperature was in the upper 70s to 85 in St. Petersburg. That apparently was very unusual, because all the locals profusely thanked them for bringing them the best weather they'd had all year.

Also, be prepared during the summer months for the sun not to set until about 10:00 or 11:00 at night and for it to rise around 4:00 or so in the morning. We had a balcony cabin and the sun sometimes woke us up earlier than we wanted. We also found that on this itinerary we really didn't use the balcony much at all.

We did the Dover to Dover itinerary and actually liked having a sea day on each end. It gave us a chance to recover from jet lag (even though we added a day in London on either end of the cruise) on departure, and a chance to kick back and relax for a day before we faced all the debarkation and customs hassles. The Baltics, with the port-intensive itinerary can be exhausting.

And you're right about the prices reflecting the temperatures. As for optimal temps, July and August are probably the best. Almost any other month can have some very cool days with wind and rain. It's the same way in Alaska, where I lived in Fairbanks for four years.

Allen

We love port intensive cruises - for us the fewer sea days the better...We have also been looking at a RCCL 12 Night Northern Europe Cruise Jewel Of the Seas R/T London/London cruise Junior Suite (JS) albeit a R/T as:

Embark London/Harwich, At Sea, Oslo, Copenhagen, At Sea, Stockholm, Helsinki, 2 nights St Petersburg, Tallinn, 2 days At Sea - Disembark London/Harwich. What do you think about this cruise? good/bad?

First, we went in August...and we had a mixture of weather with some overcast, some clear, but generally very comfortable temperatures...a little rain when we got to England for our post cruise (but, it always rains there, doesn't it?)

I am with you on the "port intensive" cruises, generally...Being from SoCal, I cruise for the ports, not the weather...But, there is one nice thing about well spaced at sea days on a longer, port intensive cruise...it's nice, after doing maybe 3 or 4 full day tours in a row, to have a day to just kick back and relax...Also, they generally schedule the "formal" nights for these days and being at sea gives you the time to "prepare"...

The main difference between the 12-night Jewel itinerary and the "version one" 14-night Constellation itinerary is that the Connie gives you two extra port days - one in Warnemunde and one as the "overnight" in Copenhagen...Both have the same number of "at sea" days - four...So, the Connie is actually a little more port intensive...

Frankly, I'd take that extra port (Warnemunde) and, the overnight in Copenhagen allows you to go experience Tivoli Gardens at night or to take a nighttime canal boat ride - both of which are worth something...Copenhagen is just such a great city, one of my favorites in Europe...

Other than that, the Jewel still presents a fine itinerary, it's just that I think the Constellation itinerary is just that couple of days better...

But, really, you can't go wrong any way you go...

Good luck...

I don't know much about the Jewel of the Seas ship since I haven't sailed on it, but I don't recall reading a pattern of bad reviews about it. It must be okay because it's sold out for a lot of sailings this summer. I would definitely consider that, and I also think that you can't go wrong with either itinerary.

Regarding the itinerary on the JOS, that is the standard Baltics itinerary, and there are good reasons why those ports are scheduled on so many itineraries.

As far as when to go, there were slightly lower prices in May and late August this year, but I wonder if there will be next year unless there are more ships moved to this area. These sailings sold very well this year, and the prices on Celebrity have been going up, up, up. St. Petersburg is the highlight of this cruise, and we were advised by Denrus, our private tour guide in Denrus, that July is very crowded in the museums. My husband and I have always preferred to go to Europe in May or September/October due to crowds, but the season is much shorter in the Baltics than the Med. Yes, I think you can use much of the same logic that you used in making your Alaska plans to plan for the Baltics.

Whatever you decide, in case you haven't seen some of the posts on this matter, Europe sold REALLY well this year, so there was a payoff for those who booked early. You can still find some deals (we saved over $1,300 per person over what's out on all the web sites for our cruise using a travel agency that had booked group rates in advance, but I'm not allowed to list the resource here), but it's much harder than it was in years past. If you find something you really like and are in a position to go ahead and book, I don't think you'll regret it if you ensure the usual safeguards of working with an agency that will get you a lower price if for some reason the prices go down, etc.

Happy travels,

Donna

dahillark@yahoo.com

WeBeCruisin', Bruin Steve & dbh62ark - Again thank you for all the great info. This is exactly the stuff we need. It's great to have the help of experienced travelers - you've given us a lot to think about. The port info you supplied was great - we'll put it to good use. I understand about the temps being similar to an Alaskan cruise timing. So - with your help...well probably go in July or early August despite the prices & crowds. BTW - last July in Fairbanks it was in the high 80's with many wildfires that prevented our arctic flight. Needless to say - we did not need the heavier clothing we brought. In fact - we shorts 'n shirts the entire time post cruise 2 week roadtrip from Steward to Fairbanks including Denali.

I think you're right about having sea days on both cruise ends. With this itinerary it would provide a needed break to recoup...and - will work well with our planned pre/post cruise stays. We also appreciate all your input regarding RCCL Jewel of the Seas and the other cruise lines. We'd really prefer Oceania (sailed sister ships w/Rennassiance & Princess) but - their prices for the stateroom type we usually book are out of sight compared to ALL the other lines. We like RCCL JOS for ship & accommodation but - we were not certain about their 12 Night itinerary. Your input helped. So - it probably will come down to RCCL or Celebrity.

I'll definitely be in need of more help - so I hope I can come to you guys again for answers. Thanks - SeaFish

We like RCCL JOS for ship & accommodation but - we were not certain about their 12 Night itinerary. Your input helped. So - it probably will come down to RCCL or Celebrity.

The Jewel of the Seas was docked right next to us in Copenhagen. It was a beautiful ship and is about the same size as the Constellation. I think their 12-day last summer was about the same price as Constellation's 14-day. We booked early through an online vacation agent ;) and paid something like $2300 for a balcony cabin which got upgraded to a 1-A. We honestly did not use the balcony very much, though. I think a balcony would probably be more useful on a Caribbean of Mediterranean trip. I think the balcony cabin we had is probably a Concierge Class now and would cost more. We're doing the Med and Greek Isles and Turkey in July and would have gone with Millenium because we love the M-Class Celebrity ships, but the Brilliance of the Seas had the itinerary we were looking for.

Allen

We did the Baltic in 2001 when Princess used the Crown Princess. The ports were wonderful, but Jewel of the Seas or the Constellation would have been much better. They are both beautiful ships and an excellent size. We fell in love with Copenhagen and were very glad to have been able to spend a 2 day pre-cruise there. By starting in Copenhagen, you also miss out on the long transfer to whatever port you go to from London. Although being able to spend a few days in London before the cruise is great too. For me eliminating the extra sea days to and from London makes a big difference. If you have an opportunity to go to Gdansk, I highly recommend it. it is quite a unique and lovely city. We have quite a few pictures of the Baltic cruise in our review at www.thepreismans.com

We went on our Baltic cruise in August of 2003 and to show you how unpredictable the weather can be, while in England for a week before we hit record temps above 100 degrees, with no a/c to be had! By the time of the cruise the weather was very pleasant and sunny in places like Oslo, Copenhagen and Stockholm. When we reached St. Petersburg we were actually wearing light weight jackets, as the mornings were quite crisp.

I also recommend a one way cruise as the round trips eat up more of your time and places to see. The Oceania Regatta was perfect for us because the crowds were small, the ship smaller (which can get you closer to cities), the service unbeatable, and the food was the best we ever experienced on a cruise. Don't worry about not having entertainment on board because you won't have the time or energy for it. All we did on this port intensive cruise was tour, eat and sleep, tour, eat and sleep!

We thought Oceania had the perfect itinerary at the time, until I heard that they now have added stops in Poland and Germany with an extra day in St. Petersburg! How we would have loved to have had three days there instead of two. There is so much to see and do in St. Petersburg that even two full days is rushed. You could easily spend an extra day there, or even take a morning flight to Moscow on this third day.

One other recommendation, stay an extra day or two in Stockholm. If I had realized what a wonderful and fascinating city this was I would have made plans for two additional nights stay there. We only had a day there and now I long to return to see the things that we missed.

MVPinBpynton -Very much appreciate your reply, informative input and outstanding port pix on Baltic Cruise ship, ports, and - cruise itinerary thoughts/recomendations. Sounds like we can't go wrong with either JOS or Constellation. Thank you. SeaFish

Seafish,

I'm glad the review was of help.

Cruise4food,

I couldn't agree more with you about Stockholm. I had seen lots of info on the area including several videos, but was not expecting it to be the wonderful city that it was. I look forward to returning some day.

I think you're right about having sea days on both cruise ends. With this itinerary it would provide a needed break to recoup...and - will work well with our planned pre/post cruise stays. We also appreciate all your input regarding RCCL Jewel of the Seas and the other cruise lines. We'd really prefer Oceania (sailed sister ships w/Rennassiance & Princess) but - their prices for the stateroom type we usually book are out of sight compared to ALL the other lines. We like RCCL JOS for ship & accommodation but - we were not certain about their 12 Night itinerary. Your input helped. So - it probably will come down to RCCL or Celebrity.

I'll definitely be in need of more help - so I hope I can come to you guys again for answers. Thanks - SeaFish

Before you book, find out what the airfare would cost. It's less expensive if you book RT air (e.g. to and from Copenhagen), compared to an open jaw flight (e.g. fly into London and return from Stockholm). Oceania's running some pretty good deals where they'll throw in free airfare if you book before the end of April, so compare the combined price of RCCL and Celebrity's cruise+air package against Oceania's single-price promotion and see what's the better deal.

Archived