Sunrise on Haleaka

debster818

Would like to know what time we should be off our ship to drive for the sunrise on Haleaka? We have a car that will be picked up the day before, so it will be in the parking lot. Thanks in advance.

Click on this link to lots of info that would answer your question because when to leave varies by the season:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1526271

It probably depends on what time of year you go, but sunrise right now is between 6:30 and 7:00. I was there two weeks ago and went with a company that picked us up at the pier at 3:15. We took about a 15-20 minute break at their headquarters before heading up, so if you have your own transportation you could probably leave by 3:30 or 3:45 and have plenty of time to get up there. We had about an hour before the sunrise once we got up there, and you will want that much time to watch all the color changes.

It is FREEZING up there, as other people have mentioned, and I was wearing my Columbia coat, gloves, and earmuffs, and I was still cold! One thing I wish people would have told us was to bring a flashlight. It's COMPLETELY dark when you first got there, and the terrain can be pretty rocky, so a flashlight would have come in handy, especially because we brought our travel tripod so we could try to get some decent pictures, and we couldn't see how to set it up! We had to use the flashlights on our phones, but a real flashlight would have been nice.

Have fun! It's an amazing experience, and one I hope I'm able to do again one day!

Archived