Miami to ship- shuttle or taxi?

MISSSNOOPYGIRL

You could check on the FLORIDA departures board, but I have not heard of shuttles to the cruise port. Probably because there is such a good bus, that shuttles are not popular for around Miami.

Take the taxi.

Most people come in the day before, so they would not be needing to go from the airport to the port. I took the bus to the hotel the day before for $2. Just not much demand from people who like to live dangerously and fly in the day of the cruise. By then .. take the taxi, dont take a chance waiting around for a shuttle.

I usually book cruiseline transfers when I fly in the day of.... I haven't cruised out of Miami for a few years now and I really don't remember how much it costs though.

Definitely more than a taxi, but I've booked it for peace of mind so when I land and get my luggage all I have to do is look for the person with the 'cruiseline' sign and follow them around.

the less thinking/worrying I have to do on vacation the better. lol

If you're renting a car pre-cruise, then the car rental agencies at MIA will shuttle you for free to POM when you return the car.

This would be awesome. This is exactly what we are doing. We are flying in the day before into FLL, renting a car and dropping it off at MIA airport. We were just assuming we'd then need to take a taxi but if this is the case then we will definitely do this! Thanks!

This would be awesome. This is exactly what we are doing. We are flying in the day before into FLL, renting a car and dropping it off at MIA airport. We were just assuming we'd then need to take a taxi but if this is the case then we will definitely do this! Thanks!

You may want to consider driving by the port and dropping your luggage off first before returning the rental car, that way you do not have to schlep your luggage on the shuttle.

The Port of Miami and MIA Airport are about 7 miles apart. It's practically a straight shot by freeway.

Better check to see IF the car rental you are using provides shuttle. Not all of them do....

Better check to see IF the car rental you are using provides shuttle. Not all of them do....

Even if they don't provide a shuttle, you drop off the car as close to the port as possible, and that way the cab ride is really cheap.

Last time for me I used Avis, and there was a lineup of cabs in the area. It was $10 with tip from the Avis office to the ship.

Oh and I dropped off everyone else first, with the luggage and then returned the car.

Hertz had a shuttle, but was $20 more for the rental....

You may want to consider driving by the port and dropping your luggage off first before returning the rental car, that way you do not have to schlep your luggage on the shuttle.

The Port of Miami and MIA Airport are about 7 miles apart. It's practically a straight shot by freeway.

Great ideas. Thanks again. I figured I would check but never even considered dropping off the luggage and handing it over to the porters before returning the car. These boards are awesome.

Hertz/Alamo/National all use the same shuttle. It will be right outside when you're done returning the car. If you're renting from a different agency, just e-mail them.

For guests renting a car AFTER the cruise, the shuttle will also pick you up from POM. But I believe then you have to show your rental agreement as some folks will take this as a free ride to the airport...:D

Can anyone tell me which would be cheaper and perhaps the average cost? Also approximately how many miles from the Miami airport to the port of Miami? Thanks you guys are the best!

Since you are flying in the day of... take a cab.. they are readily available.. 25 bucks flat rate to the port for upto 4 people..

Hertz/Alamo/National all use the same shuttle. It will be right outside when you're done returning the car. If you're renting from a different agency, just e-mail them.

For guests renting a car AFTER the cruise, the shuttle will also pick you up from POM. But I believe then you have to show your rental agreement as some folks will take this as a free ride to the airport...:D

I tried to use Alamo and the shuttle was absolutely full the three times it came by in the two hours waiting after the cruise. The driver was extremely rude to the people waiting. I ended up just skipping the rental car and taking a taxi to SoBe where my hotel was and then another taxi to the airport the next day - came out to less than it would have cost me in rental fees, parking, and gas.

I didn't get to do what was planned in Miami, but had a nice time in SoBe.

Point is, the shuttle for Alamo is not reliable.

(this is POST cruise - renting from the airport is fine, but make sure with the local office that they will provide a shuttle. The 800 call center is not in sync with the local office in Miami for national or alamo)

The shuttle through Carnival is $18 per person each way for MIA to the port.

If I was sailing solo I'd probably take the Carnival shuttle. Since it's two of us we find taking a cab far more convenient and quite a bit less expensive. For two the shuttle costs $36 one way ($18 each) A cab one way costs around $25 total plus tip for the trip.

When we cruised, we took a cab there, we have rented a car and we have taken a shuttle (different cruises). given the price and hassle of all, i'd only do a cab again with the exception of the shuttle from the ship to FLL....SAS i believe it was and they were great.

Honestly, the cab is the least hectic and reasonably priced. It's a flat rate (or was when we were there)

When you go from a location such as rental cars or other are local hotels and use a cab, they use a meter, and can cost more even though you are closer because there is an agreement for a flat fee from the airport to the pier with the cab companies so keep that in mind (so i was told)

if i'm flying in/out of MIA, I'll take a cab. i don't have to wait for it to fill up and there are plenty of them waiting embarkation and debarkation.

Archived