Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I am stunned that this event happened.

Can we please have no more "excuses" or defense of this Captain.. please.. it is disgusting and insulting to the lives lost.

He was clearly an arrogant and egotistic a man that should have NEVER been allowed to command a ship of any kind let alone one with so many trusting souls on board.

More over, what kind of corporate culture is it that allows someone like this into a position of leadership? Costa and all other lines need to prove to me that their selection process is and has been capable of weeding out personalities like his.

This kind of bravado should never be allowed... ever.

I am totally disgusted with Costa and I do lay blame at their feet... yes, this man could be a very skilled chameleon and may have fooled everyone, but if his personality is what it appears, my guess is that we will soon see stories from people he has worked with that will support a path of behavior that could have forestalled his ability to make such bad decisions.

I appreciate people trying to quell rumors, but it is time to tell it like it is and point out the horror, the damage, the effect this will have on the entire industry... there is no sugar coating to this, save for the rescue and well being of the crew and passengers and those individual acts that did what could be done to help. I also think that the real hero is the one who eventually stood up to the captain and called for the Abandon ship... and to whit... it now appears that if the Abandon call had been made earlier, and the guests weren't lied to about the situation, lives would have been saved....

.....and that is the real tragedy.... the captain picked his sense of well being over the lives of his passengers.

so sad... :(

PERFECTLY stated!!!

Yes, being Italian had a great deal to do with this whole ordeal and how the audio tapes show the exchange with authorities.

First, this is an Italian Captain in his home country. He is on his own turf. Italian Captains are an elite breed and proud and fairly conceded people.

So, this exemplifies an argumentative and game playing Captain, with cajoling and playing with the authorities.

There is a great deal of drama in this Italian give and take in the audio transcript. It was no doubt heated and the Captain was not about to give in as he was on his turf and was showing that the authorities were wrong and out of rank.

So, I do believe that this would have been a much different story had this disaster happened in France, or Spain or Greece, with this Italian Captain and those country authorities.

A Captains worst call is declaring 'Mayday' he knows that his career is over as he will be held accountable for the loss of his ship, even if he is not to blame he will still be tarred (In this case there is little doubt of his actions being to blame)

The time delay I firmly believe would in part be due to the repair teams closing up and attempting to inspect the relevant damage, however if some of the 'repair' teams were killed in the initial impact or shortly afterwards (I.E. Say the Engine room flooded quickly killing all) then they might not be operating as they should. As yet I have seen no mention of any Engine room staff being rescued, this area would be very close to the point of contact.

I have on numerous occasions in my work had to ask the skipper of the ship is he declaring 'Mayday' or 'Panpan', sometimes I might have to stress the predicament that the ship is in. Its not often so clear cut and dry, in this incident I would imagine that the Captain is hoping the situation is just minimal.

rgds

yes - and there is a VERY FINE LINE between calling PanPan and calling Mayday . That's why we have Captains - to determine where that line is located.

Another thing - Mayday would/should be called before an order to abandon ship. Mayday by definition means - come immediately, we are in imminent danger of sinking - not "we have sunk "

Barry

http://news.yahoo.com/korea-couple-tell-30-hour-nightmare-sinking-ship-025015858.html

the original one i read was from korean one though, it was slightly more detailed

Thanks! I can't believe the poor things slept through it! It makes you wonder what would have happened if this occurred at 4 a.m. when most people are asleep.

It has just been reported on BBC News that the Captain has admitted that he was in command when the ship hit the rocky outlet!

Of course he was in Command of the ship as he had been since it left Civitavecchia!! that does not mean he actually had the control stick in his hand at that moment in time .... :rolleyes:

Very much looking at what he might be going through.. I have been in similar horrific incidents.... think of a bad car accident with roll over... I was at fault.. I was a teenager and did something stupid... the fear that courses through your body... the feeling that it is just like a falling/crashing dream, only you don't wake up.. it is real and no dream ... and the denial approaches.. thoughts of a way to explain it away... fear of repercussion from totaling the parents car, of hurting friends in the car... of the police etc etc... Magnify these feelings 4200 times and I could easily see the Captain crumbling under the weight of the realization of his own stupidity and incompetence.

Thank you very much for that reveal of yourself !!

And ... there, but for the Grace of God, go I!!!! - and everybody else here in this Forum. Some of the most vocal and vociferous here now need to think a bit about that! Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone!!

Barry

Where is the story? I'd like to know if they explain how they were trapped. Thanks!

I may be stating the obvious but the passageway/ door may have been damaged and impassable, plus no power would add to the number of problems

The other thing to consider is that a ship and its cabins are designed for a ship that is upright. when the ship listed almost 90 degrees that would make the wall that has the door in it your floor or your ceiling depending on the side of the ship you are on. if the door becomes the floor of your cabin and the roof of the passageway. then if the door is the roof of your cabin that makes it the floor of the passageway. In either circumstance the door could become jammed shut. Also consider trying to navigate a stairway that is canted 90 degrees in the dark.

How many more Captains in the world are under the same assumption that they can shirk clear duties.

The cruise industry better review clearly with each Captain and top officers that they swear true allegiance to their required duties, or if they cannot truly perform, then, resign their position.

I feel as consumers of cruise vacations, we must REQUIRE that cruiselines hire the best competent leaders to Master their ships. There should be some type of database out there (similar to what they have for doctors) for the cruiser to review a Master's past experience, accomplishments, near misses, performance, etc. We should be able to sail with ONLY the best Masters regardless of what country they come from or on what part of the world they are sailing. These ships are not toys and passengers should not be expendable.

Giorgio and globetrotter thanks so much for your translations...it's very chilling reading it. It's amazing more people didn't die with someone like this as the captain.

Sad news about the recent bodies found. I know it's no consolation to the families, but hopefully some justice will come and the captain will rot for the rest of his life in jail.

One important note - there is absolutely nothing stopping the Bahamanian government requesting US or UK assistance in any matter involving one of their citizens as well (but help cannot be forced on them except through political pressure)

I agree completely but in this case I think it was Rug/Sweep as they have not asked and have not even called the family.

Environmental Threat. We all hope that salvaging of the fuel can proceed maybe tomorrow according to reports that the salvage operation can begin if the Italian authorities give consent.

We don't want to see those ship tanks begin to leak out and contaminate the whole area including the beautiful beaches along the coast.

In my last recent trip to Rome, I spent a fantastic day at one of the main

beaches serving Rome, the Lido di Ostia, that was packed with people on a warm summer day. It was a great open beach, similar to the famous beaches of Florida and Southern California.

Anyway, I hope that they can expedite the fuel recovery.

Yet, there will be always leaks.

There will be leaks of other chemicals into the sea from the many other chemicals and tanks on board the ship.

Other salvage operations will be interesting, when one thinks of all of the money, valuables, still on the ship.

Does anyone know how passengers can ever get back valuables, jewelry, cash, etc, that they had in their cabin?

Thank you very much for that reveal of yourself !!

And ... there, but for the Grace of God, go I!!!! - and everybody else here in this Forum. Some of the most vocal and vociferous here now need to think a bit about that! Let he who is without Sin cast the first stone!!

Barry

I agree, he was scared, just as anyone else would be. I am not judging him, what is being judged is the action. The man has a right to a fair trial. But there is evidence against him. The phone calls that are recorded are fact.

As for the rest of it, I have to sit and wait till the rest of the facts come in. I hope the second black box will give more accounts. I am certainly not without sin. I am forgivine, but not sinless. My hope and prayer is that the captain will come forth with the truth. The man is human, and makes mistakes like everyone else. He just needs to be held accountable and admit it was a huge error.

Found this article and video on training. Just thought I'd share it.

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-18563_162-57359840/cruise-ship-safety-training-enforcement-varies/

You shouldn't and we don't.

The simple fact of the matter is that with one exception Italians behaved courageously, bravely and generously on that night - from the Coastguard and rescue services, the crew of Costa Concordia and the islanders of Giglio - that is the 'Italy' we should remember, not the failings of one individual.

Totally agree.

More ebay items and reports that there is some short selling and profit taking of Carnival stock - anything to make a profit in the wake of tragedy! :confused::eek:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Costa-Concordia-Launching-Ceremony-Medallion-/300651116787?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item460033f8f3

This is a part of the summary of CCL stock. Add in this accident and some people would see this as a time to sell.

In today's market, the stock is down over 14%.

The most recent quarterly earnings report was slightly lower than analysts’ consensus forecast. Neutral/Negative

Earnings growth in the past year has decelerated moderately compared to earnings growth in the past three years. Negative

VALUATION

Grade: F

The price-to-earnings multiple is close to the average for all stocks in the StockScouter universe. Neutral

The price-to-sales multiple is about the same as the average for all stocks in the StockScouter universe. Neutral for a medium- to large-sized company like CCL

The ratio of CCL's price-to-earnings multiple to its five-year growth rate is negative or below the average of all stocks in the StockScouter universe. Negative

http://money.msn.com/top-stocks/post.aspx?post=f642d9c2-3114-4971-965d-145fa106e7f3

Uh oh - "talking with the home office..." This will be very interesting to the lawyers - what did Costa know and when did they know it? Did home office give him instructions? Did he ignore them or follow them? The plot thickens..

The plot thickens even more when you learn that the Xaptain of the Concordia did NOT contact the Port Authority/Coast Guard!!! He called the retired Costa Commodore who lives on the island, AFTER getting off the phone with the Costa Crisis Center and talking at least once with a man there named Ferrari. It was after the call to the Crisis Center that he then called the retired Commodore who then in turn called the Port Authority.Coast Guard!!

This info was in one of the transcripts linked in one of the previous posts on this thread.

Joanie

Giorgio and globetrotter thanks so much for your translations...it's very chilling reading it. It's amazing more people didn't die with someone like this as the captain.

Sad news about the recent bodies found. I know it's no consolation to the families, but hopefully some justice will come and the captain will rot for the rest of his life in jail.

Umieesa, actually I'm posting the translation right now, together with a link to hear the actual thing (you can open the link and follow the conversation with my translation). http://www.fanpage.it/la-telefonata-tra-la-capitaneria-e-il-comandante-schettino-torni-subito-a-bordo/

I will use ‘captain’ for Schettino and ‘commander’ for De Falco. In the real Italian conversation they use the term ‘comandante’ for both. Before the Captain answers the phone and while the phone is ringing, the commander says ‘I should have called the attorney, dammit!’ I think De Falco was calling Schettino because someone told him that he didn’t want to go back on board

Comm.: Hello?

Capt.: Yes?

Comm: This is De Falco from Livorno, captain…. Hello?

Capt.: Yes, good evening commander

Comm.: Listen, this is De Falco from Livorno. Am I speaking to the Captain?

Capt.: Yes, good evening commander, this is Schettino

Comm.: Tell me your name, please

Capt.: This is Captain Schettino, commander

Comm.: Schettino?

Capt.: Yes

Comm.: Listen, Schettino: There are people trapped on board. Now, go with your lifeboat next to the bow of the ship, starboard side; there’s a rope ladder, climb that ladder and get on board. Get on board and report how many people are still there. Is that clear? I’m recording this communication, captain Schettino.

Capt.: Commander, I will tell you something:…

Comm.: Speak louder

Capt.: The ship now….. I’m in front of….

Comm.: Speak louder! Put your hand around the microphone and speak louder, is that clear?

Capt.: (speaking to somebody else): make him come here. (then again to the commander) So, commander, at this moment the ship has tilted

Comm.: I understand, there’s people… listen, there’s people getting down the starboard rope ladder right now. You have to climb that ladder, get on the ship and tell me how many people there are and what do they have on board (maybe this was referring to the crew appliances). Tell me if there are any children, women or people with disabilities. You have to tell me the number for each of these categories. Is that clear? Look, Schettino, maybe you saved yourself from sea waters but I will really get you into trouble, get on board, dammit!

Capt.: Commander, please…

Comm.: There’s no Please, now you get on board. Assure me you’re getting back on board

Capt.: I’m here in the lifeboat, I’m not abandoning the ship, I’m not going anywhere

Comm.: What are you doing there, then?

Capt.: I’m here coordinating the rescuing

Comm.: What are you coordinating there?!?! Get on board and coordinate from there!.....(pause)… Are you refusing to do it?

Capt.: No, no, no, I’m not refusing to go

Comm.: You’re refusing to get on board, captain. Tell me the reason why you’re not going.

Capt.: I’m not going right now because the other boat has stopped (referring to a rescue boat)

Comm.: Get on board! This is a command!! You shouldn’t do other (? Didn’t understand the word he said in italian). You declared ship abandonment, now I am in charge, get on board …(pause)… Is that clear?

Capt.: Commander…

Comm: Can’t you hear me?

Capt.: I’m going on board

Comm: Go on, then, call me immediately when you’re on board. My air-rescuer is there.

Capt.: Where is the rescuer?

Comm: My rescuer is at bow! Go on! There are already dead bodies!

Capt.: How many dead bodies?

Comm: Don’t know! One for sure, I’ve heard. YOU’re the one that should tell ME, Crist!!

Capt.: Do you realize that it’s dark and here we can’t see anything?

Comm: And what do you want to do, go back home?? It’s dark and you’d like to go home, Schettino? (ironically). GET ON THE SHIP BY THE BOW USING THE ROPE LADDER and tell me what can be done, how many people there are and what do they need! NOW!

Capt.: I’m with my second in command

Comm.: What?

Capt.: I’m with my second in command

Comm.: Get on both of you, then. Both of you. What’s his name?

Capt.: ….(don’t understand what he’s saying)

Comm.: What is the name of your second in command?

Capt.: Dimitri

Comm.: Dimitri what?

Capt.: Dimitri (I didn’t understand his lastname)

Comm.: You and your second in command get on board now! Is that clear?

Capt.: I would like to get on board but the thing is that the other boat with the other rescuers has stopped, has stopped and is drifting. I have called other rescuers and…

Comm.: It’s been an hour you’ve been telling me this (I guess he meant you’ve been making excuses). Now you get on board, YOU-GET-ON-BOARD, and tell me, and immediately tell me how many people there are!

Capt.: Fine, commander, I’m going…

Comm.: Go! Immediately!

And hung up…

....just read that two of the casualities were a father and his 5 YEAR OLD DAUGHTER. How tragic!

How horrible! Unless the remaining missing are somehow trapped in areas above the waterline, then there's no hope of finding them alive. If not for drowning, hypothermia would have claimed them a few hours or so after being in very cold water. I hope that the remaining lost are in a dry area. It's a possibility that with all of the devastation to the vessel that it is very difficult to search every nook and cranny on that ship, especially as it lies on its side.

"Does anyone know how passengers can ever get back valuables, jewelry, cash, etc, that they had in their cabin? "

In previous recoveries of airplanes (such as the miracle ont he hudson) they got everything back int he end (although th clothing was unwearable). Not sure abt the rules of maritime salvage- they might have a claim on valuables?

Archived