Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

Ref Political Correctness - thank you degarr - And glrounds it is comforting to know that at least TWO people on this board have the same opinion on ONE subject.

Ref Azipods. Recall that just before we sailed on Celebrity Millennium she had to spend a week at Garden Island Sydney to replace a main bearing. I believe this class of ship had quite a few problems with the Azipod who I believe are manufactured by Rolls Royce (who also had problems with the bearing on the engine of the Airbus A380 recently!).

Don’t know if these problems persist but in the Q and A on the ship, the captain said that although a main disadvantage was that if there is a problems with the bearing you have to dry dock to get at it, there were other advantages and Celebrity would not be changing their strategy in using them.

Picture of Celebrity Azipod main bearing being changed

I hope somebody comes up with a user friendly device that is basically a tracker for each and every person on board, just a simple card with a chip, its preferred that each and every passenger keeps it on them at all times.

The ship knows where each person is at all times and in the event of an emergency these bracelets or mini tablets become activated, they have an emergency LED light but most importantly they could have a screen with directional arrows pointing to the nearest muster station.

In the case of a fire or a severe llist some stations may be non usable, a computer can send signals to also allow an even dispersal of passengers to spread out so not everybody heads to one station.

And in the day of smartphone apps a program could be available in this same fashion available before boarding, plus instructions in any language.

Myself I would design my own if nothing else, a map of the decks and muster stations. Now I practically know nothing about cruise ships, the only one I have ever been on was the Queen Mary in Long Beach. So I have no idea if there is already such devices or apps.

Good idea! If they can make a GPS tag for dogs that allows you to track your dog's exact location on your computer, it seems they can make something similar for people.

If I recall the chart I saw there were about as many Russians as US pax on the ship. Of course if they only spoke Russian that could be a tranlation issue where many on the ship spoke English....British, Aussies, US, Canadians..

1,000 Italian

500 Germans,

250 North Americans

160 French

1,000 crew members.

So why a Russian translator????

They usually have a translator on board and would CALL that crew member first than someone who was on holiday.

How many Russians were aboard? Was it a priority that this woman go to the bridge to translate incorrect information in Russian? Is she pulling a schettino on us?

According to her during her TV interview with her home city/country, she stated that there were 12 Russians aboard the ship. This was, I believe the day after the accident.

Joanie

1' date='000 Italian

500 Germans,

250 North Americans

160 French

1,000 crew members.

So why a Russian translator????

They usually have a translator on board and would CALL that crew member first than someone who was on holiday.[/quote']

It seems to me there is another untruth here. Domnica Cemortan says

"When the lights went out, a senior officer told me to follow him to the bridge. He said they needed help with the Russian passengers and Russian is my second language."

Yet witnesses have said the Captain, Cemortan and the Maitre D' left together after dinner to go to the bridge.

More footage of muster station confusion as I crew member instructs passengers already at muster station wearing life jackets to go back to their cabins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16646639

My HOPE I is that this sort of "evidence" will be used by the Carnival corp in their review that has been indicated earlier.

I FEAR that the review will not be so extensive. I would HOPE that every person passenger and crew involved in the evacuation of the ship would be asked to contribute their experience . I FEAR that it may be a review that will reinforce what the Carnival Corp WANTS rather than what it NEEDS to do.

Critical incident management experts must view these videos and be able to develop better practices.

I fully believe that any videos that Costa & Carnival Corp can confirm are actually from the Concordia will be reviewed (in detail and repeatedly). However, re: the crew members directing passengers back to their cabins - that is actual protocol.

I worked onboard a cruise ship for 2 years. While I was not assigned a major function during emergencies onboard or evacuation scenarios, I was still responsible for attending drills on a bi-weekly basis. We were drilled on the contents of life rafts, the uses (often multiple) of various equipment onboard. We were shown how to lower our life rafts in case of emergency where our life raft commander & assistant commander were incapacitated etc... It's pretty extensive. However, if an emergency has not been declared and the evacuation order has not been confirmed by the bridge, then all crew are to direct passengers to remain calm and return to their cabins. While in this case, it didn't work out - there is not normally an expectation that the captain would avoid ordering a necessary evacuation for over an hour! To me, that is the main issue.

The general crew (hotel operation, not ship operation) must go by the orders they are receiving from the bridge. In this case, I believe the crew were acting in good faith truly not knowing the severity of the situation. I was onboard during 2 different fire alarms. As an average crew member, I knew no more of what was going on in that time than any passenger. I was in my cabin on both occasions and so was not in communication with passengers. However, had I been in public space, I would have been telling pax to go about their day as normal, no need for life jackets, no need to assemble at muster stations and that there was not need to panic. In both cases, I would have been correct. Within 15 minutes both situations were resolved by our fire crews.

In the scenario on the Concordia - I can't even imagine the scenario. I would hazard a guess that most crew members are completely disillusioned with the captain and feel just as tossed to the wolves as the passengers. They did what they "should" until it became evident that the situation was much more severe than they were being told. Until they get an evacuation order, the crew that most passengers see on a daily basis are simply told that things are under control, the situation is being handled/assessed and to keep passengers calm. Just my two cents on the issue (and yes, I worked within the Carnival Corp. umbrella)

Good idea! If they can make a GPS tag for dogs that allows you to track your dog's exact location on your computer, it seems they can make something similar for people.

It's not that simple. GPS stands for global positioning system and the original (GPS) was used for military decades before "Joe the plumber" had it in his van down by the river. ;)

In any case many other methods of positioning have been developed based on completely different and unrelated technologies such as phone location services. Yes phones and even cameras (for geotagging) have a GPS receiver dependent upon clear unblocked view to the sky. When that is not available such as indoors the (phone) can use cellular sites to triangulate a person's position with adequate accuracy.

Bottom line ANY device based on location uses radio frequencies and is subject to interference and miscalculation producing errors. In day to day activities these would be considered inconvenient annoyances. In a life or death situation you certainly would NOT want to depend on something to find your way!

I think technology is great but if we become too dependent on it bad things can and will happen. Just imagine if the (GPS) satellites were disabled by an X-Class coronal mass ejection (solar flare). All in a sudden the navigation systems folks use in cars today would be paperweights. People would have to resort to using maps! Oh the horror! As an old school engineer I grew up on a slide rule. Ask modern day graduates about it and you get a blank stare. :eek:

The crux of the matter is would you trust your life (on escape routing) to a piece of plastic made in China by the lowest bidder to show you the way to muster? ;)

Cheers,

Norman

p.s. If I find myself in a pickle I have a way to tell rescue units to find me. It's on my wrist, known as a Breitling Emergency. ;)

More footage of muster station confusion as I crew member instructs passengers already at muster station wearing life jackets to go back to their cabins.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-16646639

My HOPE I is that this sort of "evidence" will be used by the Carnival corp in their review that has been indicated earlier.

I FEAR that the review will not be so extensive. I would HOPE that every person passenger and crew involved in the evacuation of the ship would be asked to contribute their experience . I FEAR that it may be a review that will reinforce what the Carnival Corp WANTS rather than what it NEEDS to do.

Critical incident management experts must view these videos and be able to develop better practices.

Do you know if people had put on lifejackets and congregated at the lifeboats without having been called to muster? If so, I can understand why she is asking people to disburse. She's waiting for the order.

Twitter chat about the 20/20 special is not favorable...

Wish they had more about the Concordia and what is being done to recover missing and recover ship before it breaks apart and spills oil all over the island.

I agree. The only thing we have really learned so far is that a Captain's "friend" is called a ship squeeze. :rolleyes:

I just found this video. Don't recall having seen it on here before.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/46077692/#46077692

It seems to me there is another untruth here. Domnica Cemortan says

"When the lights went out, a senior officer told me to follow him to the bridge. He said they needed help with the Russian passengers and Russian is my second language."

Yet witnesses have said the Captain, Cemortan and the Maitre D' left together after dinner to go to the bridge.

Why wasn't there anything mention about "OTHER TRANSLATORS" called to the BRIDGE?????

Not sure, but wouldn't the Captain call down to the crew ( purser's desk) main office and ask for help there????

In the scenario on the Concordia - I can't even imagine the scenario. I would hazard a guess that most crew members are completely disillusioned with the captain and feel just as tossed to the wolves as the passengers. They did what they "should" until it became evident that the situation was much more severe than they were being told. Until they get an evacuation order, the crew that most passengers see on a daily basis are simply told that things are under control, the situation is being handled/assessed and to keep passengers calm. Just my two cents on the issue (and yes, I worked within the Carnival Corp. umbrella)

I think you're absolutely right....I can't fault this crew in any way. They did the best they could when they were under the command of a captain who had abdicated his responsibility to them and to their (mutual) passengers. I really, really hope not to see them vilified as the follow-up to this emergency goes forward.

I agree. The only thing we have really learned so far is that a Captain's "friend" is called a ship squeeze. :rolleyes:

I just found this video. Don't recall having seen it on here before.

http://video.msnbc.msn.com/nightly-news/46077692/#46077692

At least one of my fav captains' ship squeeze is married to him and sails with him the whole time he is at sea.

20/20 was a bit disappointing. Some on the Concordia, but a lot about why not to cruise, drunks, wrecks, etc. Nice Cruise Critic call out at the end though. For anyone that has cruised before, probably nothing new.

Nonsense. I'm sure the Captain just tripped and... er... nevermind.

Seriously though... I gotta wonder if this tragedy can get worse... or if the Captain could have fouled up worse and/or made himself look even more foolish. Unbelievable.

At least one of my fav captains' ship squeeze is married to him and sails with him the whole time he is at sea.

Giggles. Course she would not be classied as a squeeze, she's the wife. :D

I agree with whomever said that they should have had more about Concordia. FOX is suppose to have something tomorrow night, I believe maybe 10 (EST) but not sure about that time.

BTW, the video I linked in my last post did suggest trying to prevent the ship from sliding but not in great detail. It was more of just a news brief.

Nonsense. I'm sure the Captain just tripped and... er... nevermind.

Seriously though... I gotta wonder if this tragedy can get worse... or if the Captain could have fouled up worse and/or made himself look even more foolish. Unbelievable.

Unfortunately yes it can continue. That ship is still sliding and there are still rescuers (tho I believe they are more into recovery) that can be injured or killed.

Then there is the possiblity of the ship itself sliding off the ledge and the environmental issues that will create.

I cannot even begin to fathom how the Captain is feeling right now on what he has done and caused and most importantly whom he killed.

Probably praying his wife doesn't turn on him after seeing the gal he was reportedly with on the ship.

Really think he would be safer in the small cell of a jail.

My heart goes out to the families who just lost a loved one...(I've read some of their blogs :(:(:()

Do you have links to any of the blogs? I am interested in seeing what the families are saying. I guess with all this waiting blogging is one outlet for their thoughts and feelings about the situation.

I feel so sad for the families who have no firm answers just yet. In some ways I think not knowing is worse than knowing oneway or another.

Twitter chat about the 20/20 special is not favorable...

Wish they had more about the Concordia and what is being done to recover missing and recover ship before it breaks apart and spills oil all over the island.

It was more of a hit piece on the cruise industry in general. Somehow, I recall seeing much of this sometime previous. Am I correct this was a rehash of another broadcast with a snippet of Concordia included?

Archived