Costa Concordia SINKING

ItalianGuest

I am not DavyJones, but I'm really flattered :p (and I'm glad you agree).

But that was my point exactly, there is so much to be assessed when you are on board that wouldn't be possible from a remote position. Honestly, I would find the idea very scary.

What an imposter !!! flare pistols at dawn......Im the one who should be flatter lol....

:):D

rgds

Actually, his third officer says he was distracted talking to the Maitre d'Hotel, a man, according to one of the Italian newspapers.

Sorry to disappoint you.

But I'm not disappointed. One man's possible testimony. Many, many passengers' reports of the captain's interest in this female and his predeliction for showing off. I'll be happy to see how it all pans out. Not that the two versions are necessarily inconsisent?

You can buzz your (male) Maitre d's home on the island to impress your female companion can you not?

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/23/costa-concordia-captain-distracted-guests

I had read the testimony of Silvia as reported in an Italian paper, but I haven't see this before:

"The salute wasn't always done, but fairly often," said a second officer, Alberto Fiorito. "I am sure it had been done the last three times the ship sailed from Civitavecchia to Savona." The CEO of cruise company Costa Crociere has insisted that such salutes were rare.

Unless I'm mistaken, Lloyd's List released the track of the Concordia's previous cruise in these waters, and the ship was miles away from its previous track.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/world/2012/jan/23/costa-concordia-captain-distracted-guests

I had read the testimony of Silvia as reported in an Italian paper, but I haven't see this before:

"The salute wasn't always done, but fairly often," said a second officer, Alberto Fiorito. "I am sure it had been done the last three times the ship sailed from Civitavecchia to Savona." The CEO of cruise company Costa Crociere has insisted that such salutes were rare.

This is getting even more confusing. I thought many have said the Captain was at dinner with the blonde. :confused:

The captain of the Costa Concordia was distracted by guests on the bridge when he hit the Italian island of Giglio, according to a witness who claimed Francesco Schettino then played no role in guiding the holed cruise ship into shallow water, instead panicking and going to his cabin.

It's really feeling like there are more sightings of this Captain than of Elvis. :rolleyes:

A news brief I just heard says Tues morning will begin the fuel removal if another boat for that purpose arrival tonight, as it is expected to.

Joanie, yes, I think DO has contributed a few good posts. I also think he really wants to discuss sailing as opposed to (for lack of a better word) traditional cruising and Concordia.

From his Floataway thread, I have directed him to the Windstar forum of CC. He may garner more interest with his posts on the young sailor lady.

In the future could there be a electronic over ride from the cruise line head quater monitoring ,that if a unsafe route or manuver was made by the bridge ,that it would be over riden electronically ?

I hope not. An airplane crashed because of exactly that. The A320 is all electronic. The pilot uses a joystick to control the airplane. The computer interprets the pilot's inputs and it is the computer that actually moves the airplane's control surfaces (electronically).

At any rate, the pilot was doing a fly-by at the Paris Airshow (this of course is an approved maneuver). With the landing gear down and plane in a landing configuration the pilot safely performed the fly-by. But then when the pilot wanted to pull up and the computer basically said no, we are landing, and that is exactly what the plane did - it landed in the forest beyond the runway.

Computers cannot think, they ONLY do what they are programmed to do. If some programer did not think of the situation that the electronic override is not programed for, the electronic program could cause an accident. Then what are you going to do, have someone who can override the program that is overriding the captain that had to suddenly change course because some drunk in a speed boat suddenly showed up in front of the ship?

I understood that the Navy vessel standing off the Capsized vessel is able to deal with pollution aspect. I seem to recollect that the vessel has the facility to recover the fuel and separate it from the sea water and put it into a holding tank.

I think that it was only going to be used if the vessel suddenly started leaking fuel, it will however be a final decision when a tanker arrives onscene as it is likely to be soon after that they start recovering the fuel onboard. It is going to be interesting to see how they recover it withouth disturbing the ship as the fuel would be adding weight to the vessel and once removed will cause the vessel to shift.

rgds

:)

But I'm not disappointed. One man's possible testimony. Many, many passengers' reports of the captain's interst in this female and his predeliction for showing off. I'll be happy to see how it all pans out. Not that the two versions are necessarily inconsisent?

You can buzz your (male) Maitred's home on the island to impress your female companion can you not?

You know what? I just don't have the energy any more.

I wonder how long it would have taken the Captain to contact the Coast Guard themselves if the passenger hadn't alerted someone on shore who got the ball rolling??? THANK GOD both women did something.

Unless I'm mistaken, Lloyd's List released the track of the Concordia's previous cruise in these waters, and the ship was miles away from its previous track.

I think you are. When I watched the report about the Lloyd's List information, they were saying it was extremely close.

I wonder how long it would have taken the Captain to contact the Coast Guard themselves if the passenger hadn't alerted someone on shore who got the ball rolling???

I'm sure he would have called, just as soon as he got home.

This is getting even more confusing. I thought many have said the Captain was at dinner with the blonde. :confused:

The captain of the Costa Concordia was distracted by guests on the bridge when he hit the Italian island of Giglio, according to a witness who claimed Francesco Schettino then played no role in guiding the holed cruise ship into shallow water, instead panicking and going to his cabin.

Oh, that's one of those "eats, shoots and leaves" cases, where imprecise writing changes the meaning. I think they meant that he went to his cabin after the abandon ship.

It'll be months before we can figure any of this out! At least!

I have just posted this in another thread but feel it may be of interest here.

It seems the lovely Maria D'Intrino has been identifed as one of the dead.

So very very sad.

Also, an interesting comment about the supposed "illegal" passengers onboard.

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=32100060&postcount=13

In case people miss this story, here is the relevant section about the unregistered guest panic sparked by the report of a missing Hungarian woman:

Officials said 17 people were still missing and an earlier report that there may have been a Hungarian stowaway on board was denied by the Hungarian foreign ministry which said the woman in fact died three years ago.

"Based on officially confirmed information today it has become clear that claims about the missing woman were unfounded," the ministry said.

"The person who made the claim about the missing person turned out to be abusing the personal data of a person who had died three years ago."

a) He went for dinner but was told by COSTA to go close to the Island but maybe he wanted to do it and never got authority b) then ate with a Blonde c) He ate alone d) He never ate and went to his cabin e) He was at the controls but distracted by guests f) He ate dinner and waited for dessert g) he fell into a life boat h) He fell over board but swam to shore i) He never left the ship stay til the very end j) He ate dinner, met the blonde had dessert, never inspected the damage, went to his cabin, undid his safe, got off the ship like a rodent and is now sitting have a latte in his house, awaiting trial

It seems whatever the capt did or DD NOT do, he will be held for his actions, and hopefully all if the MISSING ANSWERS get resolved, asap.

You know what? I just don't have the energy any more.

Pop an energiser,Milaandra! Come on, fairly simple is it not? Calm seas, excellent visibility, newish ship with state of the art navigation equipment, no suggestion (even by Schetttino) of any technical malfunction, a well-experienced skipper who, by all accounts, has demonstrated his high technical competence in manoevering the ship on countless occasions........

and you find it hard to belive that (let down by his psychological dispositions) he might have been distracted by this femme fatale, who seems to have dogged his every step, when he made his misjudgement and cruised aground at high speed?

Well, I'll happily wait for the outcome of the investigation. Maybe the moon shifted in its gravitational orbit and that swung the ship against the reef, or there is some other explanation?

After 9/11 there was talk of arming pilots in commercial airlines.

And it happened... and then this happened:

US Airways Pilot's Gun Fires In Cockpit

October 16, 2010 5:36 PM

(AP) A gun belonging to the pilot of a US Airways plane went off as the aircraft was on approach to land in North Carolina over the weekend, the first time a weapon issued under a federal program to arm pilots was fired, authorities said.

The "accidental discharge" Saturday aboard Flight 1536 from Denver, Colorado, to Charlotte, North Carolina, did not endanger the aircraft or the 124 passengers, two pilots and three flight attendants aboard, said Greg Alter of the Federal Air Marshal Service.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2008/03/25/national/main3965159.shtml

Yep... he shot a hole in the cockpit while landing the dang plane. Do you feel safer now? And I ask: How did air traffic control or CRM policies stop this from happening?

I think you are. When I watched the report about the Lloyd's List information, they were saying it was extremely close.

I think the extremely close approach was the comparison to last August's sail-by. I could be wrong, I've read all 4000+ posts in this thread and some of the information runs together after awhile.:confused:

My reference to "miles off course" referred to the previous week's cruise, in response to an officer's claim that the previous week the ship had also done a "salute."

a) He went for dinner but was told by COSTA to go close to the Island but maybe he wanted to do it and never got authority b) then ate with a Blonde c) He ate alone d) He never ate and went to his cabin e) He was at the controls but distracted by guests f) He ate dinner and waited for dessert g) he fell into a life boat h) He fell over board but swam to shore i) He never left the ship stay til the very end j) He ate dinner, met the blonde had dessert, never inspected the damage, went to his cabin, undid his safe, got off the ship like a rodent and is now sitting have a latte in his house, awaiting trial

It seems whatever the capt did or DD NOT do, he will be held for his actions, and hopefully all if the MISSING ANSWERS get resolved, asap.

I totally agree!:)

Archived