POAm 14 - 28 January 12

born2cruize

We fly out tomorrow to Honolulu then to the pier for two weeks on the POAm. As I did last year I will run a blog every day from the ship. So if you have any questions about Hawaii that I can get an answer, just send a reply about what you want to know.

Arrived yesterday aboard POAm. Was suppose to arrive at 2:30 but fly was delayed because of de-icing. Arrived at three instead it was 3:45 before we were in our van to the pier (VIP Trans). 4:15 and we're at the pier. Missed lifeboat drill. Make up was at 5:00 PM today. Today was Road to Hana with Valley Isle. Our driver was Yoli she said they had 10 vehicle on tour today all were maxed out. This was our second time doing Road to Hana. The other time was with NCL difference was NCL's bus was 20 passengers and Valley Isle uses 12 passenger buses. Only other difference was NCL's lunch was in a restaurant and Valley Isle's was a picnic style. Got back to the ship at 5:45 oh well missed the make up lifeboat drill. Tomorrow is a day of rest. If no one has any questions this will be a short blog. One thing different is the Freestyle Daily has been re-worked. I'll scan and post to my website once I get back after next weeks second cruise.

Arrived yesterday aboard POAm. Was suppose to arrive at 2:30 but fly was delayed because of de-icing. Arrived at three instead it was 3:45 before we were in our van to the pier (VIP Trans). 4:15 and we're at the pier. Missed lifeboat drill. Make up was at 5:00 PM today. Today was Road to Hana with Valley Isle. Our driver was Yoli she said they had 10 vehicle on tour today all were maxed out. This was our second time doing Road to Hana. The other time was with NCL difference was NCL's bus was 20 passengers and Valley Isle uses 12 passenger buses. Only other difference was NCL's lunch was in a restaurant and Valley Isle's was a picnic style. Got back to the ship at 5:45 oh well missed the make up lifeboat drill. Tomorrow is a day of rest. If no one has any questions this will be a short blog. One thing different is the Freestyle Daily has been re-worked. I'll scan and post to my website once I get back after next weeks second cruise.

We will be on the POA for a week starting February 4.

It is also our plan to do the Road to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions.

Doesn't Valley Isle's tour go all around the island rather than returning from Hana on the same road?

Does NCL's tour do that, too?

How was the picnic lunch?

Do you like the new Freestyle Daily?

I am so looking forward to reading your daily posts.

Thanks so much for doing this.

I've got some Freestyle daily entries to catch up on.

Day 1 Saturday's entertainment is Jimmy Buffet tribute with Toby Beau 7:00PM South Beach Pool Deck 11. Welcome aboard show featuring comedian Tim Kaminski 8:30PM Hollywood Theater Deck 5. The Pun Crawl has been renamed Pub Hop. 6:00PM Gold Rush Saloon Deck 11. DJ's Domain 9:00PM - closing Waikiki Bar Deck 13. Meet your Hawaiian Ambassadors 5:00 - 6:30PM Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. Guided ship tour 6:00PM John Adams Coffee Bar Deck 5. Billy Joel tribute Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. Best of All Dinner in Bistro $15.00 5:30-9:30. Life Boat Drill 4:30. Aloha Cafe & Key West Bar & Grill 12:00 - 4:00, Skyline Restaurant 12:00 - 2:00. All aboard tonight 6:30PM.

Day 2 Aloha Polynesia 7:00PM - 9:00PM Hollywood Theater deck 5. Beatles Tribute with Tobe Beau 8:00PM Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. Maui Port Talk 7:30AM Aloha Cafe Lanai Deck 11. Skyline Cabaret 6:00PM & 7:30PM Skyline Restaurant Deck 5. Broadway Tribute 10:00PM Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. Hula & Tahitian Class 5:15PM Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. Norwegian's Night Out photos with the Captain 6:00-10:00PM Deck 5 Capitol Atrium photo with Captain 6:20-7:00PM. All aboard tonight whenever you wish to return.

Day 3 Lights, Camera, Music 7:00 & 9:00PM Hollywood Theater Not-Newlywed-Game 8:00PM Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. Kukui Nut Lei Class 4:30PM Hollywood Theater Deck 5. 50's Rock & Roll Sock Hop 10:00PM Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. All aboard tonight 5:30PM.

This is by no means a complete list of activities. Music is available every night in the following places, Club Mardi Gras, Pink's Champagne Bar, Napa Wine Bar, Waikiki Bar check for times. Hawaiian Ambassadors offer hula classes everyday.

If no questions tomorrow is Hilo.

We will be on the POA for a week starting February 4.

It is also our plan to do the Road to Hana with Valley Isle Excursions.

Doesn't Valley Isle's tour go all around the island rather than returning from Hana on the same road?

Does NCL's tour do that, too?

How was the picnic lunch?

Do you like the new Freestyle Daily?

I am so looking forward to reading your daily posts.

Thanks so much for doing this.

Yes Valley Isle tour does go around the island. Some NCL tours also go around the island (it's more accurate to say it goes around Haleakala, as it doesn't go around West Maui). I had the chicken breast and salad with ranch dressing. I believe a vegetarian was also offered but I've got to have my meat. The chicken was a nice size processed piece of breast. Taste like it may have been marinated in teriyaki sauce.

Yes I do like the new layout just because the old layout hadn't changed since our 1st NCL cruise back in 2002. I'm not sure the content has changed though.

We leave in 1 hour and 20 minutes. Goodbye Maui until next Sunday. Something unusual is that Haleakala is cloud free right now, anyone who has been here will note that the clouds roll in and generally cover the top of Haleakala in the afternoon. So at least for us this is a first at least during this time of the year.

Tomorrow we are renting a car. Just don't know we're we are heading to yet.

Well I have some catching up to do. Yesterday, (Tuesday) we rented from Thrifty at the Hilo airport. Got the surprise special and they gave us a Dodge Caravan. Not to offend anyone but I don't like the gear shift on the dashboard. It got us to Volcano National Park. Air quality was listed as poor because of the sulfer emissions. But fortunately it was blowing away from us except at the park entrance. This is the third time we've been here so the areas that NCL & Roberts go we tried to miss except the Jagger Museum though we stayed between tour groups cause I wanted as clear a picture of Mauna Loa as I could get. Once I get back and stitch some photos together I think I have a better picture than the 2008 I took. We then drove down to near the end of chain of craters road. I am a little confused because about 5 miles after Thurston Lava Tube the road is closed but you make a left turn and the road continues above the lava field meets the ocean in a large flat land that is just feet above sea level. The view point sits on a cliff several hundred feet above sea level.

On our return trip to Hilo we has to stop at Mauna Loa Macadamia it should be noted if you don't remember my posts from last year, I hate nuts. I spent $350.00 including shipping, my wife spent another $150.00 for herself. At this point I need to interject that the temperature in Hilo was 86 degrees with mostly blue skies. Up at Kilauea the temperature was a pleasant 68.

Today is Wednesday it must be Kona. We just walked to Kona Inn, then to Fishhoppers for lunch then back to the ship. Kona normally means shaved ice at a small shop behind the ABC store across from the pier but it's no longer there. Today's weather was very warm and humid. Of the 5 years we've been coming here this was by far the hottest day we've experienced in Kona.

Tomorrow I'll catch up the the Freestyle daily for Hilo, Kona & Kauai.

We have also booked the Road to Hana tour with Valley Isle - looking forward to it. Wow - 10 buses maxed out - that's why I made my reservations already for April, was worried it would sell out

Looking forward to the rest of your posts. Thanks

That's why I wanted to note it. Today I heard a gentleman (I use that term loosely) in the Aloha Buffet calling a tour operator trying to get a tour for today, it got a little heated as he was getting frustrated that no one had an opening.

Day 4 Tuesday. Hilo tonight's entertainment is Never Too Old to Rock n' Roll with Toby Beau Hollywood Theater Deck 5. 7:00 & 9:00 PM. FABBA Theme Party South Beach Pool Deck 11. 8:15PM. James Taylor Tribute Napa Wine Bar Deck 6. 8:00PM. Improv Workshop with Tim Kaminski Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. 9:00PM. Hawaiian Beer Tasting Gold Rush Saloon Dec 11. 4:00PM. Hilo Port Talk Aloha Cafe Lanai Deck 11. 7:30AM. Fresh Flower Lei Class Diamond Head Deck 13. 4:30PM.

Day 5 Kona Oh What A Night! A tribute to Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons Hollywood Theater Deck 5. 7:00 & 9:00PM. White Hot Dance Party Club Mardi Gras Deck 6 10:00PM. Skyline Cabaret in the Skyline Restaurant Deck 5. 6:00 & 7:30PM. Jazz Greats Tribute Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. 9:00PM. Eagles Tribute with Toby Beau Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. 8:00PM. Culinary Class 101 Capitol Atrium Deck 5. 4:00PM. Lauhala Ribbon Weave Lei Class Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. 4:15PM.

Day 6 Kauai Rock-a-Hula Luau Hollywood Theater Deck 5. 9:30PM. Late Night Comedy of Tim Kaminski Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. 10:30PM. Crew 'Ohana Talent Show Club Mardi Gras Deck 6. 7:30PM. Broadway/Movie Theme Trivia Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. 6:30PM. Ho'olaule'a Party Capitol Atrium Deck 5. 8:00 - 9:15PM. 60's/70's Motown Tribute Pink's Champagne Bar Deck 6. 9:30PM. Kauai Port Talk Aloha Cafe Lanai Deck 11. 7:30AM.

Nothing going on today for us. If no one has any questions about the ship, crew or activities I won't repeat the same Freestyle Daily events unless there are changes from this week.

Someone on another thread asked about Fat Free/Lite salad dressing in the Aloha Cafe. That's the questions I had hoped to get here. But the answer is they have a variety of fat free reduced calories and lite salad dressings but you will have to ask the server at the salad station and then you may have to wait until they figure it out that they do have it.

We've departed the harbor and don't know how much longer I'll have cell service. I'll complete week one tomorrow once we get into Honolulu.

As far as food, that is so subjective. I try to stay away from giving opinions because I don't know any of you and you don't know me. Your opinion isn't wrong nor is my opinion wrong. Food is ok but that is a complement. Since I'm completing our 6th cruise on this ship I will pass along some observations about the food. We prefer to eat in Liberty dining room and the service and food has not changed in our 6 years. Cadillac diner, the service at night is less attentive than last year. But the food IMHO is better. Key West Bar & Grill. They no longer have cooks there preparing the food therefore it isn't as hot as it use to be and the hamburgers are dried out. The only specialty restaurant we visited was Lazy J. I thoroughly enjoy their fillet mignons and their jumbo shrimp are really jumbo. We like slower service, it helps us enjoy the meal, that hasn't changed. I can't imagine anyone going hungry on this ship. I've been told that I'm a picky eater. That doesn't mean I starve far from it.

Did you have to get off the ship on Saturday and go thru check in again? How was Toby Beau or did you get the chance to check his show out? Hope you are having a great time!:D and hope you get to see Lava this week:)!

Monica

Did you have to get off the ship on Saturday and go thru check in again? How was Toby Beau or did you get the chance to check his show out? Hope you are having a great time!:D and hope you get to see Lava this week:)!

Monica

We did get off the ship on Saturday. But not because we had to. We received our new cards on Friday. But you have to be proactive about it.

As has been our history we have not seen any shows on any of the 7 cruises we have had on the POAm.

No lava sail by again this week.

Good question. I meant to mention it a couple of days ago. We did not sail by Kilauea volcano after leaving Hilo. Guess Madam Pele decided to sleep that night. :mad:

I believe the sailby may have been cancelled due to the southward winds blowing VOG off shore. According to the VNP website, the lava continues to flow into the ocean.

I believe the sailby may have been cancelled due to the southward winds blowing VOG off shore. According to the VNP website, the lava continues to flow into the ocean.

Here's a great site to see the web cams of the lava flowing. It's better to view at night (Hawaii time).

https://volcanoes.usgs.gov

then select Hawaii, then web cams

Thanks for all of your thoughts and advice, we will be sailing POA for the first time in a few weeks.

My questions is: did you rent your Thrifty car in advance? Wondering also about the "surprise" deal? Did Thrifty offer to pick you up at the dock or did you have to find your own way to the rental agency?

Thanks in advance.

Archived