Tell me the good and bad of the Legend

waykaylincruz

My family is taking a cruise this upcoming May and we are considering the Legend out of Tampa because we really like the itinerary (Western Caribbean) and the fact that we can drive to the port. We are also looking at the Dream and RCCL Freedom of the Seas out of Port Canaveral (both Eastern Caribbean itineraries).

For those who have been on these ships can you share your thoughts. Price is pretty much the same on Legend and Dream. We have been on the CCL Liberty and loved the alternative dining venues such as the fish n' chips, mongolian grill, and deli. Is it true that the Legend doesn't have these?

Opinions and thoughts anyone??

Thanks!!

We've sailed the Legend 3 times and LOVE her! Great itinerary and we've always had an excellent staff. I love the size of the ship, the 3 pools (the larger ships only have 2 because they've squeezed a bunch of cabins on forward Lido). It doesn't feel as crowded as the other ships either. I haven't sailed the others you're considering, so can't help with that. But the Legend is a much-loved ship, for sure!

There is no fish & chips or Mongolian Grill, but they do have the deli.

It's a great ship with a friendly, hard working staff.

Across the fleet she also has problems with food temps. Say something to your server the first night and you will be looked after. I had cold grits, tepid entrees, room temp salads.

Ask for double meat on the deli sandwiches.

Very limited smoking areas.

Easy to navigate.

You'll have a blast!

I love the decor,the brown and yellow goes really well together! And the mirrors everywhere are gorgeous! The ship is definitely easy to navigate! On the flip side, I wasnt that impressed with the food :( It didn't taste as good as the other ships i've been on.

The Legend is my favorite ship. Big enough to give you that large ship feel, but it seems (and is) less crowded than the conquest class ships. Also the amount of cabins with balconies makes for a cheaper price for those rooms due to the laws of supply and demand. My only wish was that they in put a real library with real books and kept it open at least 12 hours a day. The small one they have right now is a joke.

We renewed our wedding vows on her in 2009 and then sailed with about 30 friends and family. We were all very well taken care of and had an absolute blast.. No issues on her at all, you'll have a great time...

Hello Ravensrock,

We are sailing on The Legend next month, and we would like to renew our vows also. Can you give us any information on how it works.

Thanks,

Papa

Nothing bad to say about the Legend. Oh, I could be picky since I smoke cigars and say there are limited places to smoke them but I dealt with it just fine. Had a great time and the ship is beautiful. Check out my blog report below my signature; Legend cruise, September 2011.

I was on the same cruise as Cigar Dude and I have to tell you that there is no bad! :D

It never feels crowded. The itinerary is beautiful! Tampa is a great port! The crew is great!

I wouldn't hesitate to book a cruise on the Legend today!

Here is a cruise report I wrote after we got back! http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1484405

Have a great cruise - no matter which you choose!

Thanks everyone for your comments. Sounds like I just might move the Legend into the top slot for consideration. I am also assuming that the port of Tampa is pretty easy to navigate.

I'll definitely post a review when I get home. These boards are awesome and without the advice I've received on here, I'm sure my cruises wouldn't have been as great as they were. I can't imagine cruising without spending countless hours on here beforehand:)!!!

I did the Western Caribbean cruise on the Legend and the highlight was swimming with the sting rays in Grand Cayman. I can't recommend it enough! I also sailed on the Miracle after the Legend and can tell you, hands down, I prefer the Legend. The Legend's crew was A LOT more fun and lively. Getting in and out of Tampa was a piece of cake and we had a much faster embarkation with the Legend. Have a great cruise and if you enjoy a crazy and lively bar scene, check out Senor Frogs in Cozumel-the 20 year olds with us thought it was great fun. And Roatan was beautiful-we loved the private cab tour that we took that included holding the monkeys-another highlight of the cruise!

I was on the Legend last year in May and will be back on the May 20th sailing this year! This is the only cruise ship I have been on, so I can't compare it to others, but I thouroughly enjoyed it. My sister was on the ship with me and has much more experience cruising than I do. She said I picked a bad cruise ship to start with because I will not be as happy on others. :-) She recently sailed on RCL and told me she compared several things to the Legend. We thought the staff was very pleasant. Got to know our room steward and wait staff very well. The serenity area was nice. I didn't have any issues with the food. There were plenty of items to choose from on the dinner menu and the buffet for lunch and breakfast was plentyful. There is always hamburgers/hot dogs and fries as well as the deli and pizza bar. There were plenty of areas to hide away for quiet time but we also enjoyed the dance club and the piano bar. I think you get out of it what you put in to it.

We did Nachi Cocum in Cozumel and the Sting Rays with Cpt Marvyn's in Grand Caymon. Both of these were great! We just stayed at the beach and snorkeled in Roatan and just shopped in Belize and relaxed.

We drove down the night before and stayed at a hotel that offered a park and sail. They shuttled us to the port and picked us up. The cost of the night's hotel stay was about the same as parking at the port. We will not have the opportunity to leave the day before this time, so we will be doing the 3 1/2 hour drive down the morning of the cruise.

Good luck in making your decision!

We have sailed her twice and by far she is my favorite ship. We have teenaged sons and got connecting obstructed view balconies - 7A - they worked out great!

The port is very nice as well as she is docked right in front of the Aquarium in Tampa. Enjoy!

Archived