Best 3* Ft. Lauderdale Beach Hotel near beach

pitz0005

I am looking to book a room post cruise on February 18 (Sat night). Nearly everything is sold out or really expensive. It looks like I can still get either the Bahia Mar Beach reort courtyard room, a poolside room at the Best Western Oceanside, or a room at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach. They are all within about $10 of each other. Can anyone please provide some thoughts/preferences? Thanks in advance.

All of these hotels are older, nothing luxurious. I would choose the Bahia Mar because it is closer to the main strip and water taxi. Doubletree recently took it over so it should be getting nicer. Think chocolate chip cookies.:)

I am looking to book a room post cruise on February 18 (Sat night). Nearly everything is sold out or really expensive. It looks like I can still get either the Bahia Mar Beach reort courtyard room, a poolside room at the Best Western Oceanside, or a room at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach. They are all within about $10 of each other. Can anyone please provide some thoughts/preferences? Thanks in advance.

I stayed at the Sheraton Fort Lauderdale Beach in december. It is the closest to the port, by just feet, than Bahia Mar. You check in on the beach side. The have a Beach tower which gave me a view of the ships pulling out into the ocean. I did it thru PL but, the guy was great and let us have an "up-grade" You had to look out at the right time to catch them but, I got to see 6 out of the 8.

You can catch the Sun Trolley right out front.

Thanks for the input. I am now leaning toward the BW in a pool side room. We will be traveling with two kids and this would allow us to have an area to sit outside while they nap. If we stay at Bahia Mar or Sheraton, we will be stuck in the room while they nap.

Thanks for the input. I am now leaning toward the BW in a pool side room. We will be traveling with two kids and this would allow us to have an area to sit outside while they nap. If we stay at Bahia Mar or Sheraton, we will be stuck in the room while they nap.

That makes sense. This hotel is a good mile walk to the main area of the commercial beachfront and is the closest of the 3 to the port. It's pretty close to Bahia Cabana which would be a good place to take the family to dinner if the weather is nice. BW is not on the beach or right across the street from the beach like the others. My friend checked into the Sheraton yesterday. They had been up since 3:30 AM to travel and when they arrived at the end of the afternoon they were told there were no rooms ready. They had to sit and wait for a long time and finally a bellhop managed to find them a room (did Priceline and didn't get in the main hotel bldg). She said the desk staff was "mean".

All of these hotels are older, nothing luxurious. I would choose the Bahia Mar because it is closer to the main strip and water taxi. Doubletree recently took it over so it should be getting nicer. Think chocolate chip cookies.:)

Really... Doubletree took it over! That is a bonus, and may alter my viewpoint. We stayed there last year, in the tower, and liked it except for the horrible front desk service. I said last year I would rather pay $100 per night extra, just to not have to deal with the incompenent staff they had. We booked the cruise package, which said it was for transportation to the port and breakfast for 2 adults and 2 children. I registered us accurately and stated the age of my 15 year old daughter. I had confirmation in had showing what was included. They absolutely refused to let her have a free breakfast voucher or transportation to the port. I was annoyed, but would not let $20 ruin my vacation. I simply said I would provide lots of bad publicity on the web, and would never stay there again.

Karen

That makes sense. This hotel is a good mile walk to the main area of the commercial beachfront and is the closest of the 3 to the port. It's pretty close to Bahia Cabana which would be a good place to take the family to dinner if the weather is nice. BW is not on the beach or right across the street from the beach like the others. My friend checked into the Sheraton yesterday. They had been up since 3:30 AM to travel and when they arrived at the end of the afternoon they were told there were no rooms ready. They had to sit and wait for a long time and finally a bellhop managed to find them a room (did Priceline and didn't get in the main hotel bldg). She said the desk staff was "mean".

From what I have read the BW is right next to/behind the sheraton and a sort walk to the beach. Is this not the case? I was planning on walking over there to check out the beach. Any idea on what the regular going rate is around this area for this class of hotel? It seems everything in Fort Lauderdale is at least $150 this night. Thanks again for the insight.

From what I have read the BW is right next to/behind the sheraton and a sort walk to the beach. Is this not the case? I was planning on walking over there to check out the beach. Any idea on what the regular going rate is around this area for this class of hotel? It seems everything in Fort Lauderdale is at least $150 this night. Thanks again for the insight.

The BW and Sheraton are on adjacent blocks on the same street but BW is further out from the beach so you have to walk a short walk to the beach. The going rate for these hotels varies according to the time of year and day of the week...I think February usually starts at $120 during the week to starting at $150 on weekends.

Archived