2nd trip to Bermuda, now what?

Sisa

Hello,

My family of 4 (husband, myself, 2 daughters, ages 13 and 15) are going back to Bermuda this June. We will have 2 full days in Bermuda, plus a 3rd day which ends around 4:00 pm (coming on the Celebrity Summit). Last time in Bermuda, we booked a private taxi tour, which was just terrific. This time, I don't know what we should do... I know we will want to spend at least one day on a beach. Other than that, I am very unsure . Can you give me some ideas to things to do and places to go, other than what we have already done on our previous trip? We are not big shoppers, and we have already been to the aquarium, the lighthouse and the fort grounds.

Thanks very much!

Hello,

My family of 4 (husband, myself, 2 daughters, ages 13 and 15) are going back to Bermuda this June. We will have 2 full days in Bermuda, plus a 3rd day which ends around 4:00 pm (coming on the Celebrity Summit). Last time in Bermuda, we booked a private taxi tour, which was just terrific. This time, I don't know what we should do... I know we will want to spend at least one day on a beach. Other than that, I am very unsure . Can you give me some ideas to things to do and places to go, other than what we have already done on our previous trip? We are not big shoppers, and we have already been to the aquarium, the lighthouse and the fort grounds.

Thanks very much!

See my To Do List.

Here's a partial list of things to do or see:

• beaches, most popular - Horseshoe Bay (#7);
  • walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay (#7);
  • off the beach snorkeling - at Tobacco Bay (well protected), near St George & Church Bay (not), near Horseshoe Bay;
  • visit caves - Crystal & Fantasy (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • visit historical St George, a UNESCO World Heritage Center, (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • sea glass collecting (near Dockyard or near St George);
  • horseback riding on beach/rail trail (#8);
  • do a helmet dive, departs from Heritage Wharf, Dockyard;
  • do the Dolphin Quest, Dockyard;
  • sample rum cakes at the rum cake factory, Dockyard;
  • visit Bermuda Maritime Museum, Dockyard;
  • golfing - Port Royal Golf Course, closest to Dockyard (#7 or #8);
  • visit Botanical Gardens (#1, #2 or #7);
  • Bermuda Underwater Exploration Inst. (BUEI), Hamilton;
  • hiking/biking the Railway Trail;
  • see the Unfinished Church, St George;
  • climb the bell tower of the Cathedral of the Most Holy Trinity, Hamilton for outstanding view;
  • visit Paget Marsh nature trail (#2, #7 or #8);
  • visit Blue Hole Park nature reserve (#1, #3, #10 or #11);
  • see the smallest drawbridge, Somerset Bridge (#7 or #8);
  • visit the Dockyard Glassworks for demo;
  • watch the wench dunking, King's Square, St George. Weds & Sat @ noon (thxs to CC mbr Nana G).

The numbers in parenthesis are the bus route that will get you closest to the activity.

You may get additional ideas from the Bermuda sight seeing guide

http://www.insightcruises.com/pdf/Bermuda/Sightseeing.pdf

SBtS

We're heading back to Bermuda for a third time.

2011 was a horrible year for my family, and we discussed having a "hard core" vacation, but we all just wanted to relax. Bermuda was at the top of all of our lists.

I copied the list of the prior poster, and included what we have done in the past.

Horseshoe Bay --- it was nice but crowded. My children liked jumping in the waves. (which weren't that big)

walk the beach path that connects 5 beaches, start at Horseshoe, end at Warwick Bay, we loved this, then continued a bit futher ... was an incredible walk. We love Jobson's Cove, which is right in this area.

off the beach snorkeling - Church Bay snorkingly is unbelievable ... it spoiled my children for all future snorkling.

visit caves - Crystal & Fantasy (#1, #3, #10 or #11); We have always had this on the list for when it rains ... it hasn't rained, this trip, we'll be spending time here.

visit historical St George, a UNESCO World Heritage Center, (#1, #3, #10 or #11); We really enjoyed this cute area.

sample rum cakes at the rum cake factory, Dockyard; We enjoyed the rum cake, and brought one home for my Dad, who also loved it.

visit Bermuda Maritime Museum, Dockyard; A small but interesting museum

visit Paget Marsh nature trail (#2, #7 or #8); We couldn't believe when we got off the bus that no one was following us ... a small, but incredible nature trail.

see the smallest drawbridge, Somerset Bridge (#7 or #8); We took a night sailing glass bottom boat tour and went under this ... very neat

visit the Dockyard Glassworks for demo; We took a little shuttle from the ship to here ... very nice

watch the wench dunking, King's Square, St George. Weds & Sat @ noon (thxs to CC mbr Nana G). This prompted a long conversation with our children about how criminals were punished, and for what. The acting was impressive.

Archived