Tours..Tours..Everywhere...

WEGRIMES

I've been trying to plan our shore excursions and it's giving me a headache! From what I see, it seems that the tours thru the cruiseline runs higher than independant bookings. What to do???? That is the question! What seems to be best in Juneau and Skagway in June? And should I book outside the cruiseline tours or not?

It does seem overwhelming at first. What I recommend is to take on one port at a time. Research what there is to do in that port through CC, the port website and the ships tours. Narrow down the list to what you can afford and what interests you. Then if you have further questions post a thread on CC.

When you are looking on CC you will find repetative posts on some of the more popular independant tours operators. You need to get busy, so that those tours don't fill up before you can make reservations.

You will you usually get better service and better prices booking through independent operators, especially in Juneau. Unless of course you like to be part of the cattle herding process. Most of the cruise line bus people are imports from the Seattle area that give you a canned tour of the lessons they took when they got here. If you can book through and independent company you just get a better picture of the "REAL" Juneau. This is the same for Skagway tours, I'm not sure about Ketchikan and other places. I was born and raised in Juneau and have been in the tourism industry for the past 10 years.

If you need any ideas for tours, post and I'll help you out the best I can with locally owned and respected companies.

God Bless!

AK*Angel

This is my first Alaska trip too. It hasn't been easy, but boy is it fun! :p I am still not finished with the tweeking. :D

What I did was print out all of the excursions offered through the cruise line, then sorted them by port. Then I tackled each port. Once I had an idea of what I might like to do at each port, I considered the timing and price. Next I sought out independent tours, usually those recommended on this board.

I have kept most of my tours booked through the cruiseline because (1) I don't want to miss the ship, (2) I don't want to miss my early morning tour in case we had to tender, and (3) since I have never been to Alaska, I am somewhat unsure of my surroundings and need a level of comfort and security that the cruise tours offer me.

For certain tours, there is only a few dollars difference and the cruise tour may have its own advantages. Also, for something like the Yukon & White Pass Railroad, you get right off the ship and onto the train. Or for something like a helicopter flight, there are only so many seats no matter how you book it. I did book my whale watching in Juneau through Captain Larry.

I have been trying to find an indie to do my horseback / Mendenhall Glacier tour without luck. I will probably end up posting a thread.

Of course, these are just the opinions of another rookie. but, I know how you are feeling and this is what worked best for me. :)

Of course, these are just the opinions of another rookie. but, I know how you are feeling and this is what worked best for me. :)

You are going with what you're comfortable with and that's most important, really it is.. Different things work for different people.

Captain Larry's name pops up alot. Would he be recommended more so than the cruiseline tour? Is there any others that group multiple tours together (like the best of juneau tour?). Also, which is better...the taste of juneau w/possibly a separate whale watch....or the best of juneau tour?

Captain Larry's name pops up alot. Would he be recommended more so than the cruiseline tour? Is there any others that group multiple tours together (like the best of juneau tour?). Also, which is better...the taste of juneau w/possibly a separate whale watch....or the best of juneau tour?

I would post this question as a new thread. I will tell you that after seeing Capt Larry's name EVERYWHERE, I finally decided to give him a call. After speaking with him for about 20 minutes (on his dime, as it is a toll free call) I was so impressed, I booked with him right away.

In Juneau, I am doing the horseback/mendenhall tour and the whale watching. Capt Larry will have us back at his office at 5:30 pm, which gives us a couple of hours to wander or shop. I liked the horseback/mendenhall tour because it would give us a relaxing ride through the rain forest plus a visit to the glacier. You don't ride to the glacier. After the ride, they transfer the group via van. The best of juneau tour would have given me the salmon bake, but if I decide to do a salmon bake for dinner it will be at Thane rather than Gold Creek. Personally, I think I will just take a walk around town, then go to my late seating at 8 pm. BTW - Capt Larry does the mendenhall + whale watching too. Call him and ask about it. www.orcaenterprises.com (I don't know if we are allowed to post phone numbers, because I have never seen anyone do it. :confused: )

OK..I called Captain Larry, and they scheduled us for the shuttle to Mendenhall at 9:30am and they will pick us up at 11 at the glacier and take us to the whalewatch. Hmmmm...sounds like we have a plan! :D

OK..I called Captain Larry, and they scheduled us for the shuttle to Mendenhall at 9:30am and they will pick us up at 11 at the glacier and take us to the whalewatch. Hmmmm...sounds like we have a plan! :D

Glad to hear you are set. Ours just got turned upside down with the cancellation of our horseback/mendenhall tour. I need to get back on the horn with Larry and see about making some changes to our reservation. Can't miss the mendenhall! :D

Have a great time!!

When I went, I was forced to do independent operators. We did back-to-back northbound & southbound cruises to/from Alaska, and I just couldn't afford to book all those excursions through the cruise line. I don't regret it. I knew about the "cruise ship guarantee", but the bottom line is, going independent let me book 2 shore excursions, where otherwise I could only afford 1.

Orca Enterprises has a tip jar available, usually there is a naturalist on board. I have been recommending them for years and have gone with them 4 times so far. A top consistant vender in my opinion. It's been interesting seeing them grow in business yet still maintain a great personal tour. I'll be on a "double" trip will them in May, can't wait. :) As for choosing tour- best is to NARROW down your interests to a workable list. the more specific your questions are on tours the better your information.

Not to be flamed, but also consider reports of those who have BEEN on the tours. Having a "great" booking experience isn't even a fraction of the tour possibilities.

Archived