Costa Announces Compensation for Travelers Booked on Upcoming Concordia Cruises

AdrenalineRush

http://www.cruisecritic.com/news/news.cfm?ID=4716

6 p.m. EDT) -- Costa Cruises has announced compensation plans for travelers booked on upcoming Concordia cruises which had been scheduled to depart through February 25. The line has not yet announced the full compensation package for those onboard the ship Friday evening when it capsized.

Company spokesman Buck Banks notes that "since the focus has been on repatriating guests, decisions on compensation are not final."

For passengers on the January 14 cruise out of Savona:

Costa is assisting travelers in making arrangements to return home. The line will pay for changes to airline tickets.

The line will refund these passengers the price of their cruise and offer them a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Additionally, if travelers rebook on certain sailings -- January through March departures onboard Luminosa, Mediterranea, Favolosa, Serena or Voyager (a chartered ship) -- by January 18, 2012, Costa will pay for airfare arranged through its air/sea department.

For passengers on the January 15 - 20 departures:

Passengers who cancel will receive a refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Cruise-only passengers will not be compensated for air travel changes.

Costa will assist travelers who rebook on certain sailings -- the aforementioned January through March departures onboard Luminosa, Mediterranea, Favolosa, Serena or Voyager -- with making new air travel arrangements and will " work with the airline on change fees for their new cruise."

For passengers on the January 21 - February 25 departures:

Passengers who cancel will receive a refund of their cruise fare plus a future cruise credit valued at 30 percent of the fare paid. Cruise-only passengers will not be compensated for air travel changes.

Travelers who choose to rebook on a future seven-night Costa cruise departing through June 2012 will have their fare protected. Costa will assist these guests with the new air travel arrangements and change fees.

Travelers with questions can contact Costa's reservations department. However, be prepared to wait; Cruise Critic member soonerfanatic, who was booked on the January 27 cruise, posts that "I have spent 4 hours on the phone….Now we have had to make many alternative travel arrangements within a 2 week window and subject to higher fares. What a poor offer, 30% off a future cruise?"

Final payment for Costa Europe cruises is due 90 days prior to sailing. Travelers who have not yet made that final payment can cancel, per the normal policy, for a full refund of their cruise fare. People booked on Concordia cruises departing as late as April may already be in the penalty period, but Costa has not yet announced any cancellation or compensation plans for these travelers. Stay tuned for that information when it's announced.

I agree. Anything else such as air travel will be covered by travel insurance.

Just out of curiosity, what about the passengers who may not have purchased travel insurance? Another reason now, to ALWAYS, purchase travel insurance-jimo. (Which I will now-sometimes I have, and other times I haven't:eek:)

Just out of curiosity, what about the passengers who may not have purchased travel insurance? Another reason now, to ALWAYS, purchase travel insurance-jimo. (Which I will now-sometimes I have, and other times I haven't:eek:)

Well there options would be:

• Keep the reservations and do something else (Train, resort, other cruise).
  • Try to get a change to a different time (if they go on a different Costa ship, Costa will help with the change fees).
  • Rely on the good will of the airline.
  • Eat the loss.

Risk Management 101

They chose to self insure. It's on them.

Also bear in mind this statement

Company spokesman Buck Banks notes that "since the focus has been on repatriating guests, decisions on compensation are not final."

In this case, if enough uninsured folks balk, I would imagine Costa will pony up more compensation.

Fair enough. It will be interesting to see what they offer for the victims of this unfortunate event however.

especially since it appears that all this may have happened due to cruiseline negligence.

I said MAY...not DID......but it doesn't take a genius to realize that someone did something wrong for this to have happened....and that someone is most likely a Costa employee..

I was scheduled to sail on the Splendor, the week after it's fire. When the cruise was cancelled by Carnival, they refunded our cruisefare, gave us a coupon for 25% off a future cruise and reimbursed us for any charges by the airline for air change fees.

Since Costa is a Carnival Corp., I'm not sure why they aren't doing the same thing.

I was scheduled to sail on the Splendor, the week after it's fire. When the cruise was cancelled by Carnival, they refunded our cruisefare, gave us a coupon for 25% off a future cruise and reimbursed us for any charges by the airline for air change fees.

Since Costa is a Carnival Corp., I'm not sure why they aren't doing the same thing.

GMC, Chevrolet, Buick, Pontiac, Oldsmobile, etc,etc are all part of General Motors Corporation. However, they all have their own CEOs, CFOs, policies, procedures, and run their companies differently.

Same as any corporate conglomoration.

Archived