Yikes! Am I on the Richard Simmons Cruise??

2boyzmom

2boyzmom: I was inadvertently on one of those "Cruise to Lose" cruises. It was great! My best friend and I were pleased to be very thin compared to the ones who were with the group.

You won't see too much of Richard...those who bought the Cruise to Lose package probably won't either. There are assistants who lead the exercises and food talks. He did have one question & answer session for his group. We were in the lounge waiting for our dinner seating and watched the session. He had a table set up for his group to buy all sorts of things, like exercise bands, Richard Simmons exercise socks, books, etc. Those people bought up everything!!

The only times that having his group on our sailing were the times that they had a lounge reserved only for them, either for exercising or for the question/answer session; one night they had a pajama party. The staff had to use different lounges for different activities. However, since the Simmons' cruisers weren't joining in on our activities, we had plenty of room in the smaller lounges to accommodate games and other activities. The other time that their cruise affected us was at lunch on the Lido deck. Everyone lined up at the salad bar, and if you wanted a salad, you had to wait in long line.

The most fun we had was people watching on the first day. Wait until you see the matching outfits people wear--get your camera ready!

Have a great time on your cruise!

Yup- it should be interesting . And beleive me- if I wanted to drop a few pounds- it sure as hell won't be on a cruise!! Ice cream sundae bar- here I come :) At least there won't be a long line there!!!

Yup- it should be interesting . And beleive me- if I wanted to drop a few pounds- it sure as hell won't be on a cruise!! Ice cream sundae bar- here I come :) At least there won't be a long line there!!!

Don't be so sure...they'll be sneaking it behind his back using their "Deal a Meal" cards to allocate the fat and calories...:D (not a bust on King and Queen sized people like my Kingly self but a bust on those who buy those aweful products!)

I think whoever is on this cruise should harass Richard anytime they see him. Make him think twice about sailing out of NYC again!!

Don't get me going on how those shore excursions are going to go...

I can see the reviews pouring in now...:rolleyes:

I'm not upset about it at all. Listen- I work full time (RN), have 2 little boys (age 3 and 5) , a puppy and 2 cats. I NEED THIS VACATION!!! I couldn't care less who is on board. Just give me Camp Carnival for the kids and a cold corona in my hand and I'm good to go :)

Happy Sailing Everyone !!!

• 2 weeks later...

I have to disagree with you on this one. I've actually been on several Richard Simmons Cruise to Lose sailings. Richard is VERY accessible to his group. I saw him every day in numerous activities - beginning the day I boarded the ship. He conducts every class himself - with the exception of one evening event which highlights those with weight loss success stories. Richard doesn't attend that evening class because he wants the spotlight on those people. He certainly doesn't have staff members running everything!

The cruise with Richard is a wonderful week. I wish people would concentrate on the good he accomplishes and stop making fun of him and his group.

AHEM! Don't start picking on my friend Richard.:D He's from my hometown (N.O.), and I've known him for years. We get together a coupla times a year. He's a really, really nice, kindhearted guy. The only problem with Richard is that he's such a sentimental sort, cries at the drop of a hat. BUT, he's done a LOT for a lot of folks! I think a cruise with him would be a blast! Sorry I can't be there.:)

For any of you who believe the junk they've read about Richard's Cruise to Lose, here's some clarification. I've been on two of his cruises (one to Mexico in 1995 and one to Alaska in 2004). He is not only on the cruise with us, but spends most of his time with us, including leading all of the exercise classes, unless he chooses to give a song to someone else to lead. He chooses to do that to show us that we can all aspire to become fit despite our size and to let some other people bask in his light. We eat all of our meals in the regular dining rooms and there are no food police present to make us follow his Food Mover plan or any other one. We give each other moral and emotional support and we have the time of our life.

Richard is not only accessible to our group -- he is more than sympathetic to those outside the group who slip him messages about their weight problems. Other diet advocates may come and go but Richard is here to stay. He may make some people laugh, he may make some people cry, but he tells the truth and won't tolerate anyone harassing us for our weight. He has literally saved many lives with his incredible courage, stamina and refusal to ever give up. If I were able to afford it, I would take absolutely every Cruise to Lose he ever offers. It is the most positive, incredible uplifting way to take a healthy, wonderful, exciting, delightful vacation!

You shouldn't talk about things you know nothing about. Ask any of the people in the Cruise to Lose group. We will be more than happy to give you correct information so perhaps you can join us when you see how much fun we have! And yes, Richard has a phenomenal website, the address of which was already posted here, where you can get real info on the best cruise out there.

How sad to read the first few messages in this thread. You know, it's so easy to criticize fat people. We are easy targets.... but until you walk in our shoes, please try to be kind. This is Richard's 24th cruise and I've been on many of them. His cruises are my therapy and have helped me maintain my weight loss. It's true that he leads all of his classes, and I've often seen "regular" cruisers sneaking in to join the fun. Our group is like family, and it is soooo nice to be accepted for what is in our hearts and souls, and not because of the size of our clothes. I'm sorry you will have to share the ship with us.... but believe me, we'll be having too much fun to notice you. So enjoy your Coronas and ice cream and your vacation. If I see a lady drinking a Corona by the pool I'll stop and say hello!!!! ;)

2boyzmom

I have to tell you that when I read your post I was some what saddened by your perception and feel that you are somewhat misinformed about a Richard Simmons Cruise. I have been on over 20 cruises, some of Richards, some with family or friends, one sports fan and one work related. A cruise is what you make of it, it doesn't really matter who is or isn't on the cruise.

Richard meets with his group for morning stretching, motivational and education meetings, an hour of aerobic exercise, and so much more. His group also pays a higher cost for the cruise to be able to reserve and use specific rooms, as does any convention group. Cruisers that are not part of these groups are not being denied any cruise activities during these cruises. Let me ask you "Why do people go on cruises?" If they're like me, for fun, relaxation, vacation, to enjoy a little "me" time, but not to be ogled or spied on, I'm sure you wouldn't want anyone watching you while you were on your cruise vacation.

You had mentioned that his group isn't involved in any activities on the ship, I would have to disagree. I know that I have attended several activities of choice. If the cruise line thought that specialty or convention groups would cause problems, then they wouldn't allow them.

As I stated earlier, I have been on some of Richard's Cruises and have enjoyed them. I am a nutritionist and have found his philosophy in line with the American Dietetic Association. Also it doesn't matter if you are in your ideal weight, 20 pounds over weight, or 200 pounds over weight; every person is treated with dignity and respect in his group. Isn't that what we all want? America as a whole has a weight problem; shouldn't we be applauding people for trying to improve their health and lifestyle? And what better way of learning than to be surrounded by temptation, it you can deal with it on a cruise then you can deal with it in everyday life.

I would ask you to think and treat all individuals as you would wish to be treated.

Cruiseaks

I don't think the OP or anyone else was taking shots at Richard or those of us who need a few (in my case quite a few) less pounds. I think his plan of exercise, sensible eating and improved self esteem is a great thing.

One poster nailed it on the head. While others have touted plans, made their bucks and disappeared; Simons has stuck around. Maybe it's a little hokey and doesn't appeal to everyone but the guy comes across as sincere.

I think it is great that he takes people on cruises.

I have a huge confession. :o

I LOVE Richard Simmons.

I love him for the same reason I am attracted to any human being. I LOVE passion.

Passionate people..no matter what they are passionate about (makes no difference if it's music or flab ;) ) get my attention.

Some of my favorite people (celebrities) who I consider passionate are: Richard Simmons

Emeril Lagasse (BAM!)

Steve Erwin (Irwin??)...The Crocodile Hunter guy

Melissa Etheridge (her music is totally passionate)

and......

Martha Stewart who has a passion for perfection no matter what you think of her.

If I were stuck on a deserted island..I'd like to have Steve catching stuff for dinner...Emerill cooking it and Richard helping me work off the calories....Martha could build us all a huge hut to live in and decorate it with crap she found laying around...and turn it into a 10 million dollar water front property...Melissa Etherdige could provide musical entertainment.

As for the other passion...I'd like to have my DH stranded with me as well...I didn't marry him because he was boring after all. ;)

I have been on many of Richard's cruises and your infomation is very wrong.

Richard attends all of his activies and teaches all of his own classes. (The exception to this may be that he will let someone teach part of a song, she or he may be a success story who has gone on to teach in their own towns). He is accessable to the group and makes sure that he meets and speaks to each person. This is Richard's 24th Cruise, and he puts everything he has into it, have you heard of anyone else in the weight loss field doing something like this?

You may not see him around the ship too often, perhaps because he is in his cabin, reading the many many notes slipped under his door. Many of those from "regular" cruise passengers. When he is out on the ship he has never refused a few words and hundreds of pictures with those not traveling with him.

Please don't judge this group before you even get on the ship. Some are taking their first step to a healthier lifestyle, would you begrudge them having some fun? How would you like to be considered a "photo op" simply because of how you are dressed or how you look, or because you are at the bar or the midnight buffet? How would you feel if the stares and whispers started as you walked by? Just something to think about.

We plan on having a great time...and hope you do too.

My wife and I were on the Inspiration in April 2003,it was a Richard simmons cruise.One night he was in the dining room,people were getting some pictures with him. My wife and the other ladies at our table got their pictures taken,I reached up to just shake his hand,he informed me he dosen't shake hands.

I know some people do not like to shake hands,i guess it was they way he said it. Very rude. Wonderful cruise

I too have been on nine Richard Simmons cruises and I'm looking forward to my tenth on May 21st on board the Carnival Legend leaving from New York Harbor. Richard is a wonderful, caring, hysterically funny guy who keeps up the energy and motivation for the entire group, and that's no easy task. He is with us from morning until night, teaching every exercise class, giving us words of inspiration and encouragement. I have seen him talk and sign autographs well into the night. Richard has staying power, his ideas have not gone out of style. He doesn't believe in fad diets or radical surgical procedures, he wants people to be happy and live a long, healthy life. He believes you can do it by following a simple plan of healthy eating combined with cardio and toning exercises. These cruises are therapy for me...it's like camp for adults. A place where we can be silly together and share common goals and stuggles. It's not just about the weight, he reminds us of our worth and how important it is to rid our lives and our bodies of dangerous toxins. I can't wait to see him again....if you're on board and see someone from our group...know that it takes a great deal of courage to be on that ship. We are facing our fears, our addictions and we're not giving up. My first cruise was a complete leap of faith, I didn't know anyone. Nine cruises later, I can honestly say that I've met some of my best and life long friends through Richard and I consider him to be one of them. If you're ever on board with us, stop and say hello, step away from the buffet table and take a walk on deck with us..we are a great group of kindred spirits seeking more from life....look beyond the outer layers and you may even want to come on the next "Cruise to Lose"...who doesn't want a happier, healthier life?.....maybe I'll see you there...livin doll

Yep and this thread was dead for nearly two weeks until the now 6 new posters brought it back to life:confused:

We have one of two things occurring here... either 1 person (a really gung ho one) has a lot to say on this topic

OR

A link to this thread was posted in a RICHARD SIMMONS chat room or message board...and these are MOTIVATED people! (my money is on this one...:D )

Tom

Archived