more bodies found

cdlsad

The captain of a grounded cruise ship is heard in a recording making excuses as an Italian coast guard official repeatedly orders him to get back on his crippled ship.

In a telephone conversation, the official berates the captain, who is on a lifeboat and repeatedly says he doesn't want to return to the ship even as passengers are still being evacuated. The ship struck a rock Friday evening and capsized.

The officer tells Francesco Schettino to reboard and assess the needs of passengers: "It is an order. Don't make any more excuses."

Schettino has insisted he stayed aboard until the ship was evacuated, but the recording of his conversation with Italian Coast Guard Capt. Gregorio De Falco indicates he fled before all passengers were off -- and then resisted De Falco's repeated orders to return.

"You go on board and then you will tell me how many people there are. Is that clear?" De Falco shouted in the audio tape.

Schettino resisted, saying the ship was tipping and that it was dark. At the time, he was in a lifeboat and said he was coordinating the rescue from there.

What a coward! Shame on him!

UK radio stations have reported that the 11 dead were found at a muster station. If this is true, someone ought to be locked up for life.

Early on 2 elderly men were found dead, wearing their life jackets, at a muster station. I can only imagine the horror of drowning while waiting for crew to come take you to your lifeboat. :(

The associated press just announced that 5 move bodies were just found on the Costa ship in Italy.
Also wearing life jackets, and at a muster station. :(

The death toll nearly doubled to 11 on Tuesday when divers extracted five more bodies, all of them adults wearing life jackets, from the rear of the ship near an emergency evacuation point

Also wearing life jackets, and at a muster station. :(

Hmm. See? I'm not saying muster drills are useless because clearly they are invaluable but geez, I wish they would emphasize during the drill that if nothing else, during an evacuation PLEASE RELOCATE to another station or find a lifeboat ASAP if you're standing in water.

Oh my goodness, it's so frustrating! :( I say this every time we do our drills. How will people know not to just hang around waiting for their "assigned" boat (if the crew is not there)?

Such profound sadness surrounding this entire event. I cruised with my friends on a Friday the 13th cruise and we made lots of jokes about sinking. *sigh*

if nothing else, during an evacuation PLEASE RELOCATE to another station or find a lifeboat ASAP if you're standing in water.
That assumes the water trickled in. It's more likely that these passengers were trapped in water that overwhelmed them and cut off their escape.

What the hell happened to the watertight doors that are supposed to seal off flooded compartments in the event of a hull breach?

That assumes the water trickled in. It's more likely that these passengers were trapped in water that overwhelmed them and cut off their escape.

What the hell happened to the watertight doors that are supposed to seal off flooded compartments in the event of a hull breach?

This is tragic that there are more victims found deceased .

The only logical explanation ,at this moment in time ,is that the power was lost & thus ,the water tight doors would not shut:(.The reports are the lights went out.

We have cruised 53 times & only once did we have a near problem:o .It was sailing R/T to Hawaii on Celebrity Infiniti, when we were in 30/35 mile gail force winds & swells of at least 25 ft .We were in the dining room having lunch & the back of the ship literally came out of the water .The ship vibrated fiorcefully; as if we were struck by a earth quake.We consider ourselves very fortunate that this was the only time we experienced that type of bad vibration:).

Our past sailings have been 7 on Carnival ships ,3 on Holland America ,3 on Princess ships & the balance were on Royal Caribbean & Celebrity ships. We prefer Celebrity for their age demographics ,food quality ,service ,activities & the perks which we receive:D

We feel very safe on both Royal Caribbean & Celebrity vessels;):)

The only logical explanation ,at this moment in time ,is that the power was lost & thus ,the water tight doors would not shut:(.The reports are the lights went out.
Aren't there emergency generators to power critical functions? Like for lowering the lifeboats?

Archived