Beach Snorkeling for Kids - Vila or Lifou

Aussie71

The kids want to do some snorkeling. I would probably prefer them to snorkel from the shore, somewhere where it is easier to keep an eye on them. They have an underwater camera that they want to try out.

What is the best place and can we make our own way there or do we need to book a tour?

I think that we will take our own snorkeling gear with us, so we have flexibility.

Lifou would be free, but it is not really a beach as such and since storms last year the way down to the water is on a ladder that the locals made rather than the steps that were there. So depending on age and confidence of your children will determine whether you will go ok there. Although there is still plenty of things to see and at the right tide time can be very low water.

At Vila I think that you would need to book some sort of tour, whether thru the ship or privately would be up to you. Several years ago when we were at Vila we did a trip thru the ship which took on a flat bottomed boat to a bay and we snorkelled there. Not sure what would be offered locally tho.

On Vila you could consider a DIY trip to one of the off shore islands E.g Hideaway or Iririki. We did both on a land holiday - too long ago - and enjoyed it. I am a snorkeler and I preferred Hideaway to Iririki - personal choice. At Hideway you can snorkel off the beach and there are other activities - hiring glass bottomed boards for example. Both cost per person per day for non residents - Iririki is a bit more expensive but a cheaper taxi ride to get there from the ship. Here is a link to Tripadvisor reviews of Hideaway.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294144-d1576651-Reviews-Hideaway_Island_Marine_Reserve-Port_Vila_Efate.html

The advantage of DIY - do it on the day - for snorkeling ventures in June is that you can change your mind if the weather is colder or more overcast than you expected. In Vila have a back up plan, E.g for a trip to the Cascade Waterfalls - also doable by hiring a taxi at the wharf. Let the kids in on this Plan B so they do not get disappointed.

None of the snorkeling that you can do on a DIY tour have observers / life guards so you may need to go prepared to get wet yourself - it is fun but then I am a snokeling tragic!

Colleen

Google Erakor island...lots to do over there and only 10 mins from town..taxi will drop you and come back to pick you up at a designated time...you pay to enter but you get all it back in activities while you are over there plus a glass bottom boat ride over. My family loved it.

You can make your own way to Erakor (Vila) by taxi the snorkelling is off a sandy beach and is not too deep, there are also kayaks, and sailing dinghy's, massages, ice cream, meals and drinks which you can purchase through the credit you get for entry fee...we had enough credits for the kids to use all the stuff, have drinks and ice creams etc. all day.

Me I hung a out in the shade in a convenient hammock...bliss.

On one cruise we arranged Hideaway from Sydney before we left. They sorted a vila taxi for us at the right price. We got a bonus trip to the village behind hideaway on the way!

Last time we took the sail and snorkel tour which was great. The starfish picture in my heading was taken there.

On Vila you could consider a DIY trip to one of the off shore islands E.g Hideaway or Iririki. We did both on a land holiday - too long ago - and enjoyed it. I am a snorkeler and I preferred Hideaway to Iririki - personal choice. At Hideway you can snorkel off the beach and there are other activities - hiring glass bottomed boards for example. Both cost per person per day for non residents - Iririki is a bit more expensive but a cheaper taxi ride to get there from the ship. Here is a link to Tripadvisor reviews of Hideaway.

http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/Attraction_Review-g294144-d1576651-Reviews-Hideaway_Island_Marine_Reserve-Port_Vila_Efate.html

The advantage of DIY - do it on the day - for snorkeling ventures in June is that you can change your mind if the weather is colder or more overcast than you expected. In Vila have a back up plan, E.g for a trip to the Cascade Waterfalls - also doable by hiring a taxi at the wharf. Let the kids in on this Plan B so they do not get disappointed.

None of the snorkeling that you can do on a DIY tour have observers / life guards so you may need to go prepared to get wet yourself - it is fun but then I am a snokeling tragic!

Colleen

I agree. We've been to Hideaway Island twice and the kids have loved it. You can step straight off the beach and snorkel...easy. Lifou (Jinek Bay) is wonderful snorkeling, however I wouldn't recommend it for young kids due to the relative difficulty of getting in the water etc. ;):)

Archived