The CHEAP Challenge: Results in from the Sky

yoyocruiser

Just want to say that I really do feel that cruising is one of those ideal vacations for a family. The experience obviously varies a lot depending on the age of the children--but it seems there has always been something that really engaged the kids. But as the "kids" have gotten older, they have actually gotten a lot more fun, or perhaps just fun in a different way, or at least in that "supervising" them is less of an issue--LOL!! I think a hard thing as a parent was seeing them come home from college and then immediately run out the door to see their friends, etc. Of course that's what you want them to do--that is "normal" for college age. But the great thing about the cruise was that it really put us together for several days--and they loved all the activities. So it is just a great way to spend quality fun and peaceful time with your kids.

Libertyschool--have a lovely time with your daughter. It will be a wonderful school break for her. It is just wonderful watching them grow into young adults and getting to spend time with them!!

Glad you posted this. Our very first cruise was in an inside room, then we did a PH Suite (anniversary), now we are booked for 2 balcony rooms. I keep wishing we could cruise more often... I know we can if we will let ourselves be alright with going back to an inside room. Which I know is totally doable. Now I just have to convience DH of that fact.

Aside from our rooms we always cruise cheap- no up graded dining, very few drinks, no ship pictures, and we limit our excursions.

This is so great to read! We have only been on inside cabins in the past on other cruise lines. We're doing NCL next fall, also an inside, and after being on these boards I read about how many people would "only" stay in suites, etc. and I was a little scared that being inside on NCL would be awful! So I'm very happy to hear that you had a wonderful time and I know we will do the same!

I have definitely been thinking a lot about this--and have been very pleasantly surprised both before and since the cruise for all the positive support and the number of people who talk about the good experiences they have had with an inside cabin.

But to be realistic I will also focus a little on the downside. Maybe not the downside--but the side of making sure it is a good match for what you are expecting. I feel that because I came here to CC before we left and asked for feedback on my decision that I truly got a realistic picture of what to expect. People clearly said that an advantage (above the obvious--that it is less money) was that you would likely explore the ship a lot more and participate in a lot more activities. That is exactly what happened!! Since I was traveling with my two kids it really got us all involved more. I really doubt that I would have gone out to the night club, or even to the sail away, if I had had a balcony. I would have gone to some of the shows, but probably not to the extent that we did. So it really did what people had said. And so--for traveling with two college age kids--this was great--perhaps even PREFERABLE (did I say that??)!

So the issue could be--if that's NOT what you wanted in a cruise--if you really wanted a lot of relaxing and down time--well, an inside room is just not a great place to hang out. Still and yet--you could easily go out and search out those places--but it is different.

So in terms of my next trip--which will likely be with my DH--it will be interesting to see what choice we make. I know I will be a lot more inclined to go with an inside than I would have prior to this. but what we look for in a cruise is a bit different--and a bit lower key. We LOVE that balcony--morning, noon, and night.

So I just bring this up in the interest of wanting folks to consider the whole picture, as i know some people are reading this thread and thinking about what sailing on an inside would mean. And the best thing--is to be prepared for the experience--which is why I love posting and reading here on CC.:)

What a great thread! DH and I took our 1st cruise last November and we booked a balcony, mainly because we are smokers and we're both somewhat claustrophobic. We didn't want to spend a whole lot of money and a balcony was our one splurge. We spent less than $500 between the two of us on a 5-day on drinks and other things. Thanks to CC, I was able to research fun-free things to do and we were able to find free drinks almost every day, we even won a bottle of champagne at an art auction! We're looking into another cruise next year and although I considered an inside, I think we'll have to get a balcony again because of the little extra freedom. Maybe one day we'll book and inside. I'm so glad you had a great time...crusing is the best thing ever!

Thank you for telling us your story. I have always felt the same way about once in a balcony can't go back. Unfortunately we live on the west coast so the air fare for the Caribbean is as much as the cruise fare. The only options we have is Alaska which is very expensive and who wants to be cold, Hawaii which is ultra expensive and the west coast of Mexico. We did one of the Mexican cruises and we both agree that we never want to do another. If we lived close enough to a port I could see us going on more cruises in inside cabin and probably having more fun. Thank you again.

I'm glad you enjoyed your cruise so much! I've had a balcony room a couple times (love them!), but have chosen an inside room for the last few cruises because of expenses. No complaints here! Honestly, I spent very little time in my room because I was busy elsewhere. :)

Thank you for telling us your story. I have always felt the same way about once in a balcony can't go back. Unfortunately we live on the west coast so the air fare for the Caribbean is as much as the cruise fare. The only options we have is Alaska which is very expensive and who wants to be cold, Hawaii which is ultra expensive and the west coast of Mexico. We did one of the Mexican cruises and we both agree that we never want to do another. If we lived close enough to a port I could see us going on more cruises in inside cabin and probably having more fun. Thank you again.

Try a Pacific Coastal cruise! I have done two of them, both were terrific. They are usually quite reasonable, too.

[so glad you enjoyed the Sky!! :)

We sailed the Sky last August....our first EVER cruise!! Loved it so much, we're booked on the Epic Western Med in August 2012...cant wait!! Love freestyle....can't imagine eating at the same time each night and with the same people!! Lol

Thanks once again for your review....loved it!! :)

Thanks for coming back to post the results of your challenge experiment!!

We always book inside cabins...I like to spend my money on the excursions:D

Also, the best sleep I have ever had is in an inside cabin!!

We took our children and grandchildren on a cruise once, and you are right...that was our favorite cruise because we were all together!!

Great job!! So glad you had this time with your children!

• 1 month later...

We also are doing a B2B in Sept on the Sky and I couldn't be more excited.We are going from 9/28/12-10/5/12.This will be our 1st B2B and our 1st time on NCL.We chose this cruise mainly for price and timing(our 36th anniversary)but we've only cruised Carnival so far and wanted to try free style.We love cruising so much just for the relaxation aspect and for the sailing experience that we don't care if we buy anything on board or book any excursions,I just enjoy not having to work,cook, clean or worry about anything for awhile and getting to sit on deck and gaze at the beautiful Caribbean is just icing on the cake for me.Thank you,YOYOCRUISER,for posting such a positive review.It reminds us that if you always look for perfection in life you are bound to be disappointed.

Just had to respond to your post about your experience on the SKY. It amazed me that one can actually go on vacation and have a great time without spending a ton of money.

I will be going on the SKY for my very first cruise on April 13th this year. I will be with my family all who have been on a cruise before. Your information both intrigued me and made me feel more at ease. As I have been reading on cc all about how EXPENSIVE it is to cruise.

Well when we were deciding to do this cruise we originally booked for a balcony. Then my sister and I decided to downgrade to a picture window. Now we did think about an inside (for cost reasons) I was petrified of feeling like I was in a tomb. After reading your post, I will think more about doing an inside cabin.

Again thank you so much for sharing your experience. I have much to look forward to in 16 days!

Love, loved, loved this review. My DH and I are heading out on the sky in a few days for our first cruise. This will also be a celebration of 15 yrs of marriage and our 1st trip alone since we had kids--our oldest will be 13 soon! I have seen the bad reviews and I have seen the good reviews---this is a regular person telling about all the fun she had with her family...not compaining about a little rust in the bathroom or having to wait in line for the buffet.

I agree with the previous posts-I also got a tear in my eye when you mentioned your kids being back at college--I don't think I will ever be ready to let mine go anywhere without me!:o

Bravo on taking up the challenge and thanks so much for sharing it. Nice comments from the CEO, as well--very cool all the way around.

It's always what you make of it, on all vacations; and I agree so much in the joy of having family and/or friends along on a cruise.

Sometimes it is easy to get locked into what we think that we "need," to the point that we might miss out on something equally or more enjoyable.

We have enjoyed inside cabins on many of our cruises, and will try to get a balcony, if the price is right. If you have the ability to make the quality of the experience roughly the same regardless of where you are on the boat, then you will be able to increase the quantity...or at least have more money to spend on niceties at home. :)

Archived