Azura: Southampton Sailaways?

Kernel Fudge

Hiya all. Looking forward to departing Southampton on Azura in March. So my question: you've boarded, managed to find the cabin (sorry, stateroom!), the bags are on the bed, the World's a beautiful place. So what now? Could any of you fine people give me the inside line on where to head for cast-off? Favourite places, decks, etc. hopefully one where my wife and I can indulge in a small sherry :D whilst taking in the excitement of the moment! Thank you!

You will be required to attend the muster at around 4pm. Your location is shown on the back of the door and further information will be broadcast. After that, you could make your way to the promenade deck, listen to the band playing on the quayside, and there will be waiters coming around with trays of champagne (chargeable) should you require some to celebrate.

Brian

Hiya all. Looking forward to departing Southampton on Azura in March. So my question: you've boarded, managed to find the cabin (sorry, stateroom!), the bags are on the bed, the World's a beautiful place. So what now? Could any of you fine people give me the inside line on where to head for cast-off? Favourite places, decks, etc. hopefully one where my wife and I can indulge in a small sherry :D whilst taking in the excitement of the moment! Thank you!

The cases will not necessarily be outside your cabin (won't be on the bed), when you are allowed to go to your cabin at 2pm when the 'cabins are ready announcement is made.

The cases arrive in dribs and drabs - if you are lucky and one or 2 have arrived, agree, start unpacking and settling in. Then read the arrival newspaper and info in the cabin..Decide if you want to book the excellent supplement restaurants Sindu -Indian, the fab Glasshouse supper club with wine to match each course, and Seventeen... I would say go straight away (before 4pm muster) - find each of the restaurants, look at the menus, if you fancy a special evening with a table for 2 there, book a night then to ensure you get in, as these restaurants can become fully booked as the cruise progresses. Don't book a table there on a formal night, as formal night menus in the main dining room are pretty good anyway.

Also make any other bookings you want at this time - the retreat - and Salon/Spa appointments. then, go to muster, and after that...the cruise begins and you can begin to relax and enjoy your cruise..:p

Don't know about Azura, but our favourite spot on sister-ship Ventura has always been the Terrace Bar, right at the stern on deck 15. Don't know if they'd have sherry there, though: The Blue Bar or The Glasshouse might be the best places for that.

At sea on a good day, I've also always enjoyed Breaker's Bar up on deck 16.

And for me, 'cabin' is right, rather than stateroom.

P&O have cabins, Cunard have staterooms!

Assuming you have unpacked and read the Horizon, I usually explore the ship to remind myself where everything is, then muster drill, then head off to the promenade deck for sailaway.

P&O have cabins, Cunard have staterooms!

Assuming you have unpacked and read the Horizon, I usually explore the ship to remind myself where everything is, then muster drill, then head off to the promenade deck for sailaway.

Is the whole cabin/stateroom thing with P&O quite recent? I remember when I booked on Ventura it was clearly advertised as 'staterooms', and now it is 'cabins'. If so, I wonder what made them change.

Is the whole cabin/stateroom thing with P&O quite recent? I remember when I booked on Ventura it was clearly advertised as 'staterooms', and now it is 'cabins'. If so, I wonder what made them change.

They may well call them 'staterooms' in the some of the literature, but general British parlance is to describe them as cabins. 'Stateroom' is an american expression. I think it comes from the fact that in American english, 'cabin' has some unfortunate connotations: a cabin would be somewhere out in the country or in the woods that you used as retreat. It might not have power or plumbing, for example. The nearest British english equivalent might be 'hut'. In British english, I think cabin is used pretty exclusively for accommodations on board ships, and it's a neutral term.

They may well call them 'staterooms' in the some of the literature, but general British parlance is to describe them as cabins. 'Stateroom' is an american expression. I think it comes from the fact that in American english, 'cabin' has some unfortunate connotations: a cabin would be somewhere out in the country or in the woods that you used as retreat. It might not have power or plumbing, for example. The nearest British english equivalent might be 'hut'. In British english, I think cabin is used pretty exclusively for accommodations on board ships, and it's a neutral term.

You are right- Cunard still calls them staterooms as they sell cruises to the USA too, rather than just the UK. I like cabins :). Makes me feel like I'm on a ship, not some government building :P

Not sure since when, but they are very insistent they are called cabins (or suites of course) nowadays.

Thanks vm all. Must admit on our previous voyage (Sea Princess out of Ft Lauderdale) I still fondly remember people waving, one guy playing a trumpet out of an adjacent apartment block (Princess employee??), etc, so will be looking fwd to sailing from home turf.

Yes, I thought they had a band at Southampton also...

So, what's the going rate for champagne (champagne or Asti :eek: ??) currently?

cheers!

Kernel.

Archived