Concordia Captain "tripped and fell" into lifeboat, really??

darrengs

"The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

This is getting absurd now.

Seriously, that captain makes himself look worse and worse every day.

One thing I would like to know from maybe someone who is familiar with sailing a large ship like that- once he hit the rocks, he turned toward land- his lawyer has said he did that to get the boat to shallower waters so the ship wouldn't sink and people would be able to get off. Others say he should have stopped where he was and evacuated the ship immediately, and if he had done that then there would have been less loss of life because instead of taking another hour for him to steer the boat toward land everyone would have had another hour to get off. Anyone have any input about this?

Was it better that he steered toward land, or should he have evacuated sooner?

If he had evacuated sooner, there is no guarantee there would have been less loss of life but it is guaranteed the ship would have probably sunk (deeper than it currently has sunk, as it is now resting on a shelf under the water).

If he hadn't steered toward land, there could have been more time to evacuate but those that swam to shore would not have been able to do so, but also the ship probably wouldn't have tilted over.

And after felling pure man didn't get out of the lifeboat in an hour. :D That was the time he had to try before could lower the lifeboat. So he didn't make any effort to return to ship after had accidently fallen into lifeboat...

Apparently all the top commanders of the ship "tripped" into the same lifeboat.........:eek:

During three hours of interrogation on Tuesday, he reportedly said: “The passengers were pouring onto the decks, taking the lifeboats by assault. I didn’t even have a life jacket because I had given it to one of the passengers. I was trying to get people to get into the boats in an orderly fashion. Suddenly, since the ship was at a 60 to 70 degree angle, I tripped and I ended up in one of the boats. That’s how I found myself there.”

He said he got stuck in the lifeboat for an hour before it was lowered into the water off the coast of Giglio island.

Also with him was Dimitri Christidis, the Greek second in command of the Concordia and Silvia Coronica, the third officer, according to La Repubblica newspaper.

Guess his 2nd and 3rd officers must have tripped too since they were all in the same lifeboat. COWARDS.

For me, the audio recording between the Port Authority and the Captain says it all.

Bravo to the Port Authority, the rescuers on land, the off duty Captain Bosio and the brave staff that actually helped. The Captain just keeps digging himself into a deeper hole.

This excuse would be funny if the situation weren't so serious. It sounds like an excuse a toddler would make...not an adult. He's had a lot of time to think of a better excuse and this is the best he could come up with???? Really??? Then why didn't he trip back onboard like he was ordered to do?

"The cruise ship captain under fire for abandoning his vessel while thousands of passengers scrambled for rescue has reportedly come up with an explanation for his flight - he accidentally tripped and fell into a lifeboat."

http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-202_162-57361085/report-captain-claims-he-tripped-into-lifeboat/

Wow Imagine the luck! You trip and fall into a lifeboat and I guess he grabbed the second in command and he fell in too?

This excuse would be funny if the situation weren't so serious. It sounds like an excuse a toddler would make...not an adult. He's had a lot of time to think of a better excuse and this is the best he could come up with???? Really??? Then why didn't he trip back onboard like he was ordered to do?

You know I was thinking the same thing , I was going to make some kind of joke. I have told people I am a cancer survivor and I joke about everything as I don't take life as serious as I used to, but this would be an insult to the poor people that lost their lives and to the ones that stayed fought so bravely to get everyone they could off.

Which is it: A report stated that he said he could run evacuation of the ship from the dock, or how do you "trip and fall" into a covered lifeboat???? What's next!

according to the daily telegraph:

"Once he had reached dry land and was allowed to leave the harbour master's office, Schettino's primary concern was to buy some socks."

Now that is obsurd too....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022902/Costa-Concordia-captains-actions-disgraceful-says-cruise-ships-reluctant-hero.html

You what I am finding more unbelievable than anything , and I try to think people are innocent until proven guilty , but the amount of people that seem to drinking the "Carnival/Costa Kool-Aid " and say he was a "hero" for getting the ship to shallow waters, OMG they shouldnt have not even been there and he was covering his butt and that makes him a hero. I just saw someone repost that FB from that person that said he stuck with the ship on John Healds FB page, there are people that will believe his side you can count on that.

no, no, you guys got it all wrong. There is a misunderstanding.

This could have easily happened, with the impact, the listing of the ship, he was really assisting some elderly people and children into a lifeboat, supervising the evaucation, when he tripped and fell into the boat.

He is now considering suing the manufacturer of the lifeboat for this negligent, and dangerous design.

Signed,

the posters who are still supporting the captain

Which is it: A report stated that he said he could run evacuation of the ship from the dock, or how do you "trip and fall" into a covered lifeboat???? What's next!

Hi,

" What's next! " - probably the explanation how the captain's uniform got changed to the civilian clothing. The pictures show him in 'civilian clothes' so probably as he was falling in to the life boat , he lost his uniform ...... the socks was the only thing left from the uniform ..... and they were probably wet.

Wait, I thought he was catapulted into the water? So, what really happened was that he tripped and accidentally fell into a lifeboat? When that excuse doesn't pan out, what's next? Aliens abducted him, he blacked out and next thing he knew he was on shore?

Hi,

" What's next! " - probably the explanation how the captain's uniform got changed to the civilian clothing. The pictures show him in 'civilian clothes' so probably as he was falling in to the life boat , he lost his uniform ...... the socks was the only thing left from the uniform ..... and they were probably wet.

This article says the first thing he did when he got to shore, after hailing a taxi was ask to buy new socks. If the socks were giving him away then they had to go. Someone might ask him to get back on the ship.

"Ottavio Brizzi, a taxi driver on the island of Giglio, said he picked him up at 11.30am on Saturday and took him the 400 yards to the Bahamas Hotel. "It was a very short journey, no more than 30 seconds if that," he said. "He didn't say very much apart from asking me where he could buy some dry socks. He looked very cold and scared - he looked like a beaten dog."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/italy/9022170/Costa-Concordia-captain-says-he-tripped-and-fell-into-lifeboat.html

Archived